What's new

Best park for flat rides?

Sandman

Giga Poster
Although coasters tend to steal the spotlight at most major theme parks, flat rides are always a nice little bonus. Look at Alton Towers for example. A big, reputable park with very little on offer in terms of flat rides. It's a shame that flats can be quite overlooked nowadays, with many parks gunning to get the latest and greatest coaster available in order to compete with their rivals.

So, lets ignore the coasters for once. Based purely on the flat ride selection, which park, in your opinion, reigns supreme? Fairs/travelling rides don't count! Also, try and consider it a quality based pick rather than just naming a park with a **** ton of average flats.

Sandman

Giga Poster
^ A good combo that is.

Haven't been to Liseberg myself, but that (from what I can see) looks like a good shout for flats. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Snoo

The Legend
Canada's Wonderland has an array of unique and interesting flats. While they may not be the BEST, they certainly give you a full plate, which you'll need as 94% of their coasters are absolute trash.

Will

Strata Poster
^
Agreed on the first half - but there are at least two 'good' coasters in addition to the two 'amazing' coasters, so not sold on the percentage.

Over here, it's probably... Thorpe. Which is bleak.
I'll have to think about elsewhere in Europe - alas, as I got older, I have less and less tolerance for flat rides, so don't ride as many as perhaps I should.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I really enjoyed Thorpe's flat ride selection when I was there back in '09. And because of stupidly long queues, I didn't even ride all of them.

Liseberg is absolutely a contender too. Lots of lovely flats. Then again, I must confess I have a very small reference pool of parks.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I would have said Thorpe, was always very fond of the flat ride selection there but the loss of Slammer harms its rankings. Not so sure now, Canada's Wonderland maybe? The Sledgehammer ride alone is mental enough to earn a mention here.
Shout out to Liseberg too. Some good stuff there.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Liseberg for a combination of quality and quantity. Mechanica, Loke, Uppswinget, Atmosfear and even Jukebox are all great flats. Not a fan of sky fly/rollers but Aerospin is my fave of them, if only for the view.

Phantasialand only has two major ones but they are of high quality. Talocan is AMAZING and Mystery Castle is fab too if it's running the long program.

Gröna Lund mostly for the towers. Fritt Fall is my fave drop tower by far, Katapulten is really fab and I bet Ikaros is great too. On top of that they have Pop Expressen and Eclipse, which are my faves of their respective types. The flying carpet is quite crazy too.

Tivoli Gardens has Vertigo, which is my fave flat ever. It's just absolutely insane and unforgettable. They have a very interesting collection of other flats too, which range from very good to meh.

All three of the Finnish parks have great collections too, though I haven't kept track of which ones have been removed since I last visited. Thorpe has a high quantity of flats but they are all SH*TE.

Basically, Northern Europe.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Thorpe has a very good selection in fairness.

Detonator is still my favourite drop tower (size clearly doesn't matter!)

Samurai on a good setting is always fun.

Vortex is either brilliant or incredibly dull depending on where you sit.

Zodiac is Zodiac.

Rush seems a huge hit with the general public.

Quantum is very forceful for what it is.

Slammer is of course a huge loss. It was probably my favourite ride in the UK along with Nemesis.

Will

Strata Poster
I don't like Thorpe, but Detonator and Rush are probably the best flat rides in the UK.
Honorable mention to Maelstrom and Eagle's Claw.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Yeah, Canadas wonderland wins it for me. They just have a huge number of what would typically be standalone flagship flats at any other park.
If there is a type you want to try, it's at CW.

I think an honourable mention should go to Heide with that cool Mayan flat ride area.

James F

Hyper Poster
I'd say Canada's Wonderland, Thorpe Park and Liseberg, as far as quantity and quality, however the best flat ride in the UK is Apocalypse at Drayton Manor.

GeodieCoasterFan

Mega Poster
agree as a lot of others have said about Canadas wonderland, Sledgehammer is a class above and there are a lot of other options there as well.

In the UK don't think there are that many great flat rides, still like the ice blast at Blackpool as much prefer launch towers to drop towers. Did anyone go to Flamingo Land between the late 90's/early 2000's as they had a good selection of flat rides such as the Terroriser, Top Gun, UFO, Wave and Flamingo Star