What's new

Dive Coasters

Does anyone else think B&M dive coasters are overrated or underrated? I have been on 4 so far with only Sheikra being the only one to be outstanding. Just feel they are to short and have the same layout.

Last edited:

balrog

Mega Poster
As everyone seems to think they are one of the weaker models out there, I can't see how they can be overrated. I'll try to ride my first ones this year so I can make my own mind on the matter.

Will

Strata Poster
Do you mean dive coasters?
If so, I wouldn't say they're my favourite coaster type but only one of the three I've ridden has been disappointing - and from the looks of things, Valkyria certainly won't be.
Overated? I wouldn't say so.

You rise a good point :) I was thinking about it from the publics point of view and how much they seem to enjoy and continue to ride this type of rollercoaster. Which drive coaster are you looking at ridding?

Do you mean dive coasters?
If so, I wouldn't say they're my favourite coaster type but only one of the three I've ridden has been disappointing - and from the looks of things, Valkyria certainly won't be.
Overated? I wouldn't say so.
Yes i did. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Just rode Sheikra for the first time today, and having ridden Griffon before, my reaction to the first ride was a shrug of “Yeah, I’ve done that. No big deal. Not my thing.” But later in the day I went back and got in a couple more rides and really enjoyed it. The drops were pure airtime, the Immelmann was sublime, the motions in general were totally smooth, and the coaster itself is an imposing thing of beauty. Finished the day with a higher opinion of drop coasters than I started with.

Snoo

The Legend
I think the rides are good but not great. Sheikra is my favorite as the airtime and interactions are the best over Griffon and Valravn for comparison.

Peet

Giga Poster
A big thrill in a small footprint, a good moment of weightlessness on the drop, and great views from the top - what's not to like!?
I just wish they all did the double length station like Oblivion to load 2 cars at once, Krake and Italian Oblivion have pretty poor throughputs.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
A big thrill in a small footprint, a good moment of weightlessness on the drop, and great views from the top - what's not to like!?
I just wish they all did the double length station like Oblivion to load 2 cars at once, Krake and Italian Oblivion have pretty poor throughputs.
They both pull over 1,000pph. I wouldn't call that "bad".

Dipper_Dave

Roller Poster
I have only ridden Oblivion, its a good ride and still unique in the UK, and I know its the original, but given that the format has been improved since then, it is simply too short. You're on the brake run seconds after the drop and can end up sitting there for ages. It would be great to see a B&M dive coaster in this country (preferably at BPB) that is more than a one trick pony, with a combination of immelmann / zero-g roll / splashdown / second drop. I don't know how much space one would take up, but they are experts at fitting rides in, it could replace Valhalla & Ice Blast & spread to the former Trauma Towers & Wild Mouse space (not that much can be put on WM space, sadly), and bowl-a-drome / beach amusements area. That would be awesome

TilenB

Strata Poster
it could replace Valhalla & Ice Blast & spread to the former Trauma Towers & Wild Mouse space (not that much can be put on WM space, sadly), and bowl-a-drome / beach amusements area. That would be awesome
You'd replace Valhalla with a Dive Coaster? Uhh...
C1mGBSvWEAANu9k.jpg

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Why would anybody suggest replacing Valhalla for a splashing-down Dive Machine when an aging, second-hand Vekoma SLC is standing literally in a pool of water just across the park, next to another coaster so that height restrictions or sightlines wouldn't be a problem?

henryjwillis

Mega Poster
Only ridden Oblivion which I still find really fun and obviously really re-rideable. They look like solid rides in general, especially the European ones due to their pacing (Valkyria looks really great) but the MCBR on the US ones look like they'd ruin it a bit for me. Oh and the vests really can't help. Someone really needs to build a 200+ footer with normal OTSRs and an interesting layout with no speed killing MCBR.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Don't know anyone with excessive love for them, so can't see them as overrated.

Rides that are good solid fun. Not much to complain about.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I think they're ...rated? Probably one of the most cut-and-dry coasters out there; what you see is what you get.

Fun, not great, not bad. Just good.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
Sheikra is very re ridable due to its sheer height. Front row middle of the train is an amazing sensation.

Oblivion I'll always get on once per visit but that's it. But that's mainly because I'm a lazy bastard and the queue is a long walk.

They're good coasters but not world class. However they seem hugely popular with the 'GP'.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Bit random but... didn't Dive Coasters used to be referred to as Dive Machines? Or am I getting something wrong? I just remember reading enthusiastically about Oblivion back in the early days of my enthusiasm, and the term Dive Machine really caught my attention. Sound way better imo.