What's new

Alton Towers | Wicker Man | GCI Wood

Lofty

CF Legend
Find it interesting that at the start of the ride, you've got 3 separate buildings, but only 1 of the 2 outdoor sections between those buildings is in a tunnel. Always found it strange that they didn't just create one large building, but the fact they've decided to risk potential light bleed into the main pre show building is...odd. Unless of course they just haven't started building it yet, but that seems unlikely given the others are practically finished.

But yeah, looks good, can't wait to see a testing video so everyone can moan about it looking slow.
You have the first large building (with the tower) which will be the walking preshow before the station, this has a connection to the next building which is the station, which has a connection to the final building, the maintenance shed/finale. There won't be light bleed into the preshow, there will into the station and maintenance shed but that was expected. The train passes under the actual preshow building as it leaves the station and then carries on to the lift hill, I highly doubt that the train is going to stop under the main preshow anyway to be honest.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Ahh, I was a bit confused. I thought the largest building (at the back) was the station, with the second building being an on board pre show, and the front building just something you passed under on way to the lift hill. Makes a bit more sense now - thanks!

vaugc002

Mega Poster
I'm still pinching myself that we finally have a woodie at Alton Towers after decades of waiting and 2 disappointing false starts (cross-valley woodie and coaster corner woodie).

Thanks for the great pictures and great banter, happy Monday everyone!

Agreed!
At the end of the day, an English theme park is getting a woodie.
If AT has a successful season perhaps other parks may consider one...

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I'm really enjoying the gloom of those photos. Always thought woodies were better suited to stormy northern European grey skies and drizzle - not being sarcastic, honestly. I much prefer that than seeing them in the sunshine. Kinda feels more natural.

Bert2theSpark

Mega Poster
^This is why I love these forums, stuff like this don't happen on TPR or pretty much anywhere on the internet anymore.
Regarding Wicker Man, I think the layout is pretty solid, the theming goes beyond my expectations so for now it's just waiting for a pov to be released to see how it rides.
That's because Mr Robb Alvey deletes anything that even slightly controversial or something which promotes any other forum...

Even though he rode Switchback with ECG...

Peet

Giga Poster
Also, I think the Scenic Railway at Dreamland, Margate, was the first UK coaster to combine wood and fire back in the noughties.
Excellent point! Woodies have been going up in flames for the last century, the Nash did it before the Scenic, and there were plenty before that.

davidm

Strata Poster
^ weird, yes it has gone. They tweeted it out though so it wasn't anything sneaky.
Was same sort of schtick as the other videos tho' (pagans wandering around the woods, and then wandering up the queue-line) with about 1/2s of quick POV (screen-capped image above).
Expect it'll reappear.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Probably just released a bit early by accident and Towers just politely requested that it be removed.

It didn't sound like a major video so nothing to cover up really; just waiting for the right time!