What's new

Biggest Theme Park Flops

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. I don't think we have a thread like this, but if we do, feel free to lock it. Anyway, this thread is basically for discussing: what rides hugely flopped for their respective parks? I'll get the ball rolling by mentioning two rides that I feel deserve a mention:
  • Ring Racer at Nurburgring. It was delayed for 4 years and then only opened for 4 days.
  • Twist Coaster Robin at Yomiuriland. It literally opened for a day, had an accident and got demolished.
So, what rides do you guys think flopped for their respective parks?

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Vertigo at Walibi Belgium is a good one - https://rcdb.com/3457.htm Opening delayed by a season, when it did open it opened very rarely, it had work done over closed season, finally reopened for 11 days before they gave up with it.

Matt N

CF Legend
Vertigo at Walibi Belgium is a good one - https://rcdb.com/3457.htm Opening delayed by a season, when it did open it opened very rarely, it had work done over closed season, finally reopened for 11 days before they gave up with it.
Good one @JoshC! Another ride that deserves a mention, even though it's still operating, is GaleForce at Playland's Castaway Cove. Delayed by a year, opened for a season and then completely retracked due to roughness issues. Come to think of it, there seems to be a trend of S&S coasters here... other than Vertigo, which was manufactured by Doppelmayr.

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
Another Vertigo, but this time at Cedar Point. Only lasted a year, and that was because of one of the towers collapsing.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Another Vertigo, but this time at Cedar Point. Only lasted a year, and that was because of one of the towers collapsing.
Not even an year, I visited the park in August of 2001, and it wasn't even under constitution yet... and later that fall/winter it collapsed

I never actually knew there was a Vertigo at Cedar Point! Was it an older ride?
it was an S&S Sky Sling ride. Cedar Point (Vertigo), Magic Mountain (Thrill Shot), Knotts (Vertigo) and Fantasy Island (UK) (IDK?) were the only parks to get the full 300 foot tall models... And a year later both Great Adventure and Frontier City added 150 foot, half sized models (Both called Eruption )... All 6 are gone now. Basically think of a Sling Shot ride... but make it SLOW and BORING... and thats Vertigo.

I got to ride the one at Great Adventure, ONCE, and over some 12 visits I made to the park while it was there, it ran maybe TWO of those days...... ZzZzz (saw it at Frontier City and Magic Mountain SBNO)

Matt N

CF Legend
Not even an year, I visited the park in August of 2001, and it wasn't even under constitution yet... and later that fall/winter it collapsed

it was an S&S Sky Sling ride. Cedar Point (Vertigo), Magic Mountain (Thrill Shot), Knotts (Vertigo) and Fantasy Island (UK) (IDK?) were the only parks to get the full 300 foot tall models... And a year later both Great Adventure and Frontier City added 150 foot, half sized models (Both called Eruption )... All 6 are gone now. Basically think of a Sling Shot ride... but make it SLOW and BORING... and thats Vertigo.

I got to ride the one at Great Adventure, ONCE, and over some 12 visits I made to the park while it was there, it ran maybe TWO of those days...... ZzZzz (saw it at Frontier City and Magic Mountain SBNO)
Oh right. So is it sort of like a Skycoaster, in a sense, except instead of swinging you, it shoots you up at great speed?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry to be bumping this, but I just came across this gem:
https://rcdb.com/945.htm
Batflyer at Duinrell. Let's quote RCDB:
This coaster was built but never opened due to problems with the cars not having enough speed to return to the station. The possibility of adding a 'hot rail' to power the roller coaster was investigated without success. In early 2002 the roller coaster was taken down and bought by a junk yard.

Dutch Wikipedia elaborates (through Google Translate):
Because the carts (in the form of a bat) went too fast at some points, and at the bend in front of the station too slow (so the carts did not reach the station) the rollercoaster never opened to the public. The attraction has been modified several times, but could not meet safety requirements. The supplier, Caripro, went bankrupt during construction. It resulted in a final damage item of 2 million Gulden for Duinrell.

Pretty epic failure, or what?

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry to be bumping this, but I just came across this gem:
https://rcdb.com/945.htm
Batflyer at Duinrell. Let's quote RCDB:

Dutch Wikipedia elaborates (through Google Translate):

Pretty epic failure, or what?
Yeah that's a pretty epic failure. Also, I wouldn't say you were bumping this. The last post was on Christmas Day, which wasn't that long ago.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
That's actually really sad. Those batflier things are quite scary as kid's rides go and the one at Plopsa always has a huge queue. Plus Clone Zone is fab.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Yeah, I saw it was going. Probably a wise move for the park in all honesty because it had terrible capacity (even if it was still loved).
I imagine lots of Belgians have fond childhood memories of the Batflier.

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry to bump the thread, but I have recently thought of two more. I know that they're not defunct, and I know that not everyone will agree with me on these, but here we go:
  • Derren Brown's Ghost Train at Thorpe Park. Rumoured to cost around £30million or possibly even more, opened two months later than planned, had (has?) a lot of technical problems, has had very mixed reviews since opening and has been updated twice since opening (ROTD in 2017 and changes to live action scene in 2018). It also didn't change guest figures at Thorpe Park.
Now this next one is going to be a bit controversial, but:
  • Lightning Rod at Dollywood. Despite the ride's huge critical acclaim, it has suffered with many technical difficulties (and still does 2 years on.) and it opened 3 months late. The critical acclaim does kind of dispel these in a way, but the technical difficulties still continue.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^Yeah, gonna have to second what Matt said there, DBGT was a definite flop. There are a handful of folks who like it, I guess, and yes there have been some 'improvements' to it since it first opened... but nah. It's still turd. It doesn't matter what they do to it, the project was doomed as soon as someone said "I know - instead of a new RMC, let's spend X million quid on an experimental VR ghost train."
Quite a ballsy move on Thorpe's part, I'll give them that, but also a stooopid one that I'm quite certain didn't pay off in the way they hoped it would.

Lightning Rod too - I hear that's having issues again? Despite how good it might be, it's certainly shaping up to be one of the more problematic coasters of recent years.

And I daresay if you asked Nick Varney he'd probably agree that, all things considered, The Smiler has been more trouble than it's worth.

Pear

Strata Poster
I305 - Despite being a great ride it really is a failure in terms of ridership. You can go on a busy day and I305 will most likely be a station wait just because people are either too afraid to ride it or it's just too intense for people to go again. If KD got a hyper I think the ridership will go up since people will have a stepping stone as there is nothing in the park close to 300 ft besides the drop tower and windseeker.

Matt N

CF Legend
I305 - Despite being a great ride it really is a failure in terms of ridership. You can go on a busy day and I305 will most likely be a station wait just because people are either too afraid to ride it or it's just too intense for people to go again. If KD got a hyper I think the ridership will go up since people will have a stepping stone as there is nothing in the park close to 300 ft besides the drop tower and windseeker.
Didn't I305 also have to be reprofiled 2 or 3 times in its opening year, and I also heard from one of Coaster Studios' early Vlogs that it had an extended period of downtime in 2013?
^Yeah, gonna have to second what Matt said there, DBGT was a definite flop. There are a handful of folks who like it, I guess, and yes there have been some 'improvements' to it since it first opened... but nah. It's still turd. It doesn't matter what they do to it, the project was doomed as soon as someone said "I know - instead of a new RMC, let's spend X million quid on an experimental VR ghost train."
Quite a ballsy move on Thorpe's part, I'll give them that, but also a stooopid one that I'm quite certain didn't pay off in the way they hoped it would.

And I daresay if you asked Nick Varney he'd probably agree that, all things considered, The Smiler has been more trouble than it's worth.
With regards to DBGT, I do admire Thorpe for putting in a dark ride, as it was a clear gap in their lineup, but I'm not sure if they went about it in the right way. If DBGT had been a straightforward, tracked (or trackless) dark ride, without all of the bells and whistles that DBGT has, then I'm sure it would have been a brilliant success. I would happily have queued for it had it been a straightforward dark ride, like Hex or Spider-Man or Forbidden Journey. Well, I use the term straightforward very loosely, of course, because those rides have many bells and whistles associated with them too. But you get what I mean. However, DBGT features many gizmos that those rides don't feature; VR, actors, a very complicated ride system, lots of complicated illusions etc. Also, the reason I wouldn't queue for DBGT now is because I'm really not into attractions with scare actors in. I'll happily ride most coasters, flat rides, water rides or dark rides, but I am not into attractions with scare actors in them at all, especially where close interaction (e.g. touching and jumping in your face etc.) is involved. I know that a lot of people (probably most people who visit Thorpe) do like that sort of thing, but they are alienating a portion of their clientele by including scare actors in DBGT and putting an age restriction on it, if you get what I mean. Basically, before I go off on too much of a tangent, the point I'm trying to get across is that DBGT probably sounded good on paper, but didn't end up working as well as hoped in practise. For all I know, it might be a really good ride that works excellently, but I'm just going off of what I've heard and what I know about the attraction.

With regards to Smiler, I'm not sure if that classes as a flop in the same way that some of the others in this topic do, but it still had its fair share of problems. For starters, the ride opened 2 months later than planned. It also had a very problematic opening year, what with the structural issues (e.g. bolts falling off) and the multiple stalling occasions. And we can't forget the 2015 incident, which was life-changing for everyone affected and arguably Alton Towers' reputation. However, I would not class the ride as a flop in the same way as some of the others in this topic for many reasons, including:
  • The ride has been much more reliable post-2015.
  • It did actually increase guest figures by quite a bit once it opened.
  • It was (and still is) massively popular. Many GP members that I know absolutely love the ride (and I must admit I do, too, as controversial of an opinion as that is.), with it being the ride that many people think of and rave about at the mere mention of Alton Towers.
Those are just my opinions, though.

Oh, and I just thought of another arguable flop that I'm surprised nobody has mentioned yet; Son of Beast at Kings Island. The problems started from before the ride even opened, with RCCA reportedly being fired by Kings Island early on in the construction process and a 15-foot rough patch being found in the track. Then, throughout its life, there were many problems, including with wood cracking amongst other problems. The ride's signature loop was then removed to accommodate lighter trains, and it was finished off in 2009 after a woman reportedly suffered an aneurysm on it; it was just 9 years old. It was also considered by many who rode it to be very, very rough.
P.S. Sorry for long post. Also, sorry if any of these aren't flops.

Bert2theSpark

Mega Poster
In regards to DBGT, I love that ride when I rode it last year however I thought that it certainly wasn't worth it's price and now having seen how the ride works with the BTS stuff (which I'm not going to post here, it's a secret), it certainly doesn't look it's price tag, heck I didn't know in the finale I was on a motion platform.

I admire Thorpe for building DBGT and just not following whatever's trendy as they usually do. But I think that it suffered from two issues, downtime and lack of clear marketing. What Thorpe need to do in future is find the balance between the creavitity and how well it can be marketed, not one or the other. Towers have learnt the balance with Wicker Man.