What's new

Coasters that vary massively depending on where you sit

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Shambhala has lovely airtime at the front, but absolutely NOTHING in the back row! It's pretty annoying, especially when the ride ops allocate where you sit. If you get stuck at the back you're in for half the experience.

Matt N

CF Legend
Shambhala has lovely airtime at the front, but absolutely NOTHING in the back row! It's pretty annoying, especially when the ride ops allocate where you sit. If you get stuck at the back you're in for half the experience.
I've never heard that about Shambhala before. A lot of people who've ridden Shambhala say that you really get pulled over the drop and the speed hill on the back! I really want to ride Shambhala, because it looks like Mako, and most people who've ridden both say that Shambhala is better.

Jamesss

Hyper Poster

I was going to say exactly this. Anywhere from the front to the middle of the train it’s amazing but the back row definitely doesn’t have the same wow factor.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
I've never heard that about Shambhala before. A lot of people who've ridden Shambhala say that you really get pulled over the drop and the speed hill on the back! I really want to ride Shambhala, because it looks like Mako, and most people who've ridden both say that Shambhala is better.

I think Mako is better :)

Matt N

CF Legend
I think Mako is better :)
That is nice to hear, as I've only heard one other person say Mako is better. After hearing some of the reviews of other people riding Mako, I was very disheartened after I rode, because many reviewers implied that Mako was one of the weaker B&M hypers. But it’s nice to hear other people say it’s one of the strongest B&M hypers. Mako seems to be quite a Marmite ride as to how people rank it, actually. The Legend on In The Loop said that it was the worst B&M hyper in North America other than Raging Bull, whereas Taylor Bybee on Coaster Studios said it was the best B&M hyper in North America. I personally loved Mako, because that air was crazy and it was so fast and so, so smooth! Anyway, back on topic!

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
Mako is definitely underrated. It is a brilliant coaster and I would rate it as almost as good as Shambhala. I actually found Mako similar to Shambhala in that the front and middle of the train were great but the back wasn't quite as good.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I personally rank both Nitro and Silver Star higher than Shambhala, so can definitely imagine Mako being one of, if not the best hyper. Kinda depends how trimmy the trim is.

FlyingFox

Roller Poster
3rd row of Wodan is somehow really good, couldn't put my finger on why it just felt like I had more pops of air time there.
I also rate Silver Star higher than shambhala, just feels more fun!

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry to resurrect this rather old thread, but reading the recent review of Oakwood that @Serena wrote and the fact that I’ve been in Pembrokeshire over the weekend and seen lots of Oakwood adverts reminded me of a coaster that certainly varies a fair bit between rows, and that’s Megafobia.

When I last went to Oakwood in 2019, I got the chance to ride Megafobia 4 separate times, as the park was deserted, and I got a fairly different experience in each row I sat in. The front row was my favourite row; it still wasn’t the smoothest of coasters in the front, but it was fairly fun, with some nice pops of sustained floater airtime. The middle was still not bad smoothness-wise, but the whole ride seemed very average sensations-wise in the middle, and didn’t do a whole lot for me. The much-raved about back row produced some very strong ejector airtime in places, particularly on the first drop, but was too brutal for me to really enjoy; controversially, the back was actually my least favourite row.

Does anyone else find this?

RcTmix

Mega Poster
Since the topic has already been bumped...

Daimondback feels like three entirely different rides depending on your row. The trains are so long because of the tiered seats. It really exaggerates the difference in acceleration in the front vs. the back. This kind of ruins the drops up front as you go unnaturally far down each drop before the train really starts to pick up speed. The same effect makes for some decent ejector in back as you get yanked over the crest of each hill, and the air sustains until you level out. Since the front half of the train has already started to ascend the next hill by the time the back reaches the bottom, you just slam back into your seat in the valleys. In the middle there's nice sustained floater over each airtime hill. Definitely a back row ride for me.

I would assume this is similar to Intimidator (which someone mentioned back in 2017).

Snoo

The Legend
Twisted Timbers - Found this out a few days ago.. both the front and the back are intense but the number of airtime moments in the front almost doubles in the front. It's insanity for sure.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Twisted Timbers - Found this out a few days ago.. both the front and the back are intense but the number of airtime moments in the front almost doubles in the front. It's insanity for sure.
Come again?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It’s not clear, but I think he’s trying to say that airtime moments in the front.
Yeah, seems like I could swap either word and it would still make sense.

"both the front and the back are intense but the number of airtime moments in the back almost doubles in the front"
"both the front and the back are intense but the number of airtime moments in the front almost doubles in the back"

@Snoo - explain yourself, son!