What's new

Worst Chinese Knock-off/Chinese-built Coasters

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
So I came across this piece of **** knock off Vekoma boosterbike, and there is so much wrong with this coaster. Bad profiling, misaligned brakes, slow moving drive tyres, the fact you have to wear helmets on the ride, the use of Velocity's colour scheme, I could keep going. Here is the video:-
Video by MiyaPA Masane.

There are lots of badly built Chinese coasters (most of them are), but I want you to post the worst ones on here.

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
To be fair, most Gerstlauers have worse shaping than that... ;)

Last edited:

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Given how low down the camera is as well, that'll really highlight any tiny track shaping and make it look 10x worse. I'm sure it's perfectly fine in real life, even if a bit boring at the start.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I've ridden that coaster, and it's f**king awful.

Can't be arsed to engage with the general idiocy of the topic though.

Lazy, misinformed, coming from a place of f**k all personal experience.

Yawn, quite frankly.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Eww, that looks like crap.

I think this is easily a contender. P.S:- Sorry about the horrible sounds created by the thing filming.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Can't be arsed to engage with the general idiocy of the topic though.

F**k it, I've got time to kill at work before I can sod off home.
So I came across this piece of :emoji_poop: knock off Vekoma boosterbike, and there is so much wrong with this coaster. Bad profiling, misaligned brakes, slow moving drive tyres, the fact you have to wear helmets on the ride, the use of Velocity's colour scheme, I could keep going.

See, you kind of started off ok with this. This petty much IS a knockoff since it has copied most of the Vekoma original, down to the layout. However, they've developed their own launch system. Essentially, they've seen pictures and videos and copied it using their own tech/manufacturing. This is unlike what Golden Horse have done with their mine trains and SLCs, which seem to have been completely reverse engineered from the original models. Not sure where the helmet thing is coming from. If that's true, it's a recent thing. Colour scheme? Really? Would you ever comment on similar colour schemes elsewhere?

There are lots of badly built Chinese coasters (most of them are),

This is where you've gone full muppet because you're wrong and you're coming from a place of absolutely zero personal experience. The whole "Chinese knockoffs!!!! LOL!!!!" thing is lazy, tired, misinformed, largely inaccurate, and comes from a place of misinformation and a total lack of experience. It's the new "Togo is so rough!!!!" line of enthusiast bulls**t which 99% of the time came from people who'd never ridden one.

So, the whole "knockoff" thing. I realise you've made a distinction in the topic title, so this isn't aimed squarely here, but more in general. Not everything from a Chinese coaster company is a knockoff. In fact, most aren't at all. The Golden Horse spinners, mine trains, motocoasters and SLCs? Absolutely. They've copied everything about the original models, from track and train design to layout.

Beijing Jiuhua's motorbike coasters (the one in the video) and spinning coasters? Fair enough to call them knockoffs since they've copied the layouts and looks of the rides, but their ride systems are their own. The rest of their coaster models are their own.

Beijing Shiboalai's shuttle loops, boomerangs and magic coasters? Same thing. Copied layouts but with their own ride systems. Again, they have plenty of their own models on top of those.

Most Chinese SLCs (the ones that aren't the Golden Horse "Kumali" copies) are not knockoffs at all. They've completely designed their own layouts, with varying degrees of success. The Beijing Shiboalai models are pretty bad, but personally I find them slightly better than Golden Horse's direct Vekoma copies, but Beijing Jiuhua's are actually decent. They're less common at the moment, but the two I've done have been better than most Vekoma SLCs.

Knockoff Vekoma loopscrews? How about we acknowledge the fact that Vekoma is the knockoff company here? They didn't just see and copy Arrow's track design; they 100% stole it! They were Arrow's manufacturer in Europe and just decided to cut Arrow out completely and go it alone using Arrow's track design. That's way shadier than anything any of the Chinese companies have done.

Disclaimer here because I've obviously used the term in the past (I don't now since I've realised the double standards), and again this is more general than aimed at this thread specifically since the title actually does make a distinction, but why is it that we only use the term "knockoff" when it comes to Chinese-made rides, even when the designs are significantly different?

Why don't we call Huss Giant Frisbees and Zamperla Giant Discoveries "Intamin Gyro Swing Knockoffs" when that's what they pretty much are? Why are the only "knockoff" shot/drop towers the ones in China when there are countless European manufacturers building their own versions who don't get that label? They've all essentially seen S&S's towers and built their own. How many western companies are building small spinning coasters while Golden Horse's are the only ones labelled as "knockoff"? Boosters anyone? Swinging ships? Ferris wheels?

I'll answer the question for you. The "knockoff" label for Chinese rides and not for Western companies doing exactly the same thing comes from a place of cultural superiority, and it's f**king gross.

Dar

Hyper Poster
How well is the roughness tolerated over there? I know, "because they don't know any better", is the lazy racist answer, but maybe it's true in the sense that the industry hasn't had their "B&M"-moment, with manufacturers seeming to follow the old arrow/vekoma track style. There seems to be some movement away from that towards the better, "bogeys on the outside" track style, so I wonder if there could be a breakthrough with a manufacturer in the not to distant future?

Or is there just not the call for it, with people in China just being 'arder, and more willing to deal with the roughness than us Western pansies?

Tl;dr: They're backwards people, that don't have access to such advanced western technologies as maths and physics, much less an accurate computer modelling system. (/sarcasm)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
How well is the roughness tolerated over there? I know, "because they don't know any better", is the lazy racist answer, but maybe it's true in the sense that the industry hasn't had their "B&M"-moment, with manufacturers seeming to follow the old arrow/vekoma track style. There seems to be some movement away from that towards the better, "bogeys on the outside" track style, so I wonder if there could be a breakthrough with a manufacturer in the not to distant future?

Or is there just not the call for it, with people in China just being 'arder, and more willing to deal with the roughness than us Western pansies?

Tl;dr: They're backwards people, that don't have access to such advanced western technologies as maths and physics, much less an accurate computer modelling system. (/sarcasm)
Same as anywhere really. As enthusiasts, we notice/complain about roughness, but that doesn't stop people riding. Look at something like Infusion or Collossos, which both get slated for roughness but have huge numbers of riders who either don't notice or don't care. For most regular park guests, roughness is accepted as part of the experience.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
I think this is easily a contender. P.S:- Sorry about the horrible sounds created by the thing filming.
Those things ride nowhere near as bad as they look. Arrows had questionable shaping from the start and many of theirs can be worse.

Don't call anything a piece of sh*t til you ride it. Seemingly bad rides can have many redeeming factors, such as comedy.