What's new

Le Pal | Yukon Quad | Intamin Family Launch (Juvelen Mirror Image)

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Construction has made a lot of progress:

aMYSVSg.jpg

ar3NzPv.jpg

SRuckU9.jpg

Source: CoastersWorld.fr

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
They definitely use hydraulics in some way, just differently to the regular hydraulic launch coasters.
Yeah, they use hydraulic drive motors. Intamin say they can use either on their website:
https://www.intaminworldwide.com/project/atv-juvelen/

To all intents and purposes it looks just like an electric motor, but inside the mechanics are different. Rather than using a set of coils/magents like an electric motor, they use hydraulic fluid (under pressure) to spin the drive axle. They're basically a hydraulic pump (the thing that generates hydraulic pressure) in reverse.

The benefit, as far as I can work out, is that you can house all your fancy electronics and hydraulic pump away in a storage shed somewhere, and just run hoses out to each motor. Rather than needing to have all the coils and stuff at each motor. Hydraulic motors are (kg for kN) smaller than electric motors, and are generally considered to be more reliable. It's also possible to "store" the hydraulic pressure more easily and cost effectively than it is to "store" the electrical energy. Not sure if that is actually much of a saving, but there must be a reason they offer it.

lachlan

Mega Poster
Thankyou for sharing, you learn something new every day :)

Apologies for my wrong answer, I had always assumed those were simply individual electric motors for each tire.

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
Happy to see more of these getting build and that tunnel is sure to be an awesome addition to that intense turn after the second launch!

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Looks to be making good progress! When in 2018 is this due to open, out of interest?

I think it should be open by May :) The park posted a wait time sign indicating towards an April opening.

CoastersWorld released their documentary about Yukon Quad's construction! Some very nerdy footage for you guys...

(Documentary with English subtitles)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Okay, I actually think that's really fab! <3