What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

Lofty

CF Legend
Probably at peak season. Even with 3 trains, it will probably only pull between 750 and 1,000 pph. And the operations at the PB aren't terrible.
Tell that to the people that've suffered The Big One running half a train during peak times - which was several times this past peak season.

I'm so excited about this, the layout is so tight and the transitions look really snappy, I can't wait to watch this fly up. So much has been done already.

MakoMania

Mega Poster
BPB has some amazing rides, it just depends on what you do and don't like. Grand National is my number 4 coaster, above Kumba, Montu, Nemesis & Hulk to name a few rides that people seem to drool over.

(Should've used quote feature, replying to the previous page)

Last edited:

Sandman

Giga Poster
the layout is so tight and the transitions look really snappy

You know, I thought this looked fairly fun the first time I watched the NL2 pov but the more I've watched it, the more I've realised this is actually a really great mixture of a layout. It looks like there should be some good moments of airtime, loads of fantastic headchoppers (of which the video can do no justice), snappy transitions, low to ground sections, well placed inversions. There is plenty there to be genuinely excited about. The only issue with NL2 is that it doesn't really convey speed very well, so it's quite hard to tell just how each of those elements will be taken. 49mph doesn't seem like much on paper, and I know this is more about the "illusion" of speed, but that's the only way I can see this ride falling down in experience.

Those of you who rate Helix, what are your initial thoughts on this? Do you think it'll touch Helix at all in terms of experience?

Pear

Strata Poster
BPB has some amazing rides, it just depends on what you do and don't like. Grand National is my number 4 coaster, above Kumba, Montu, Nemesis & Hulk to name a few rides that people seem to drool over.

(Should've used quote feature, replying to the previous page)

This is why people don't value opinions from British enthusiasts. Just so you know.

Smithy

Strata Poster
You know, I thought this looked fairly fun the first time I watched the NL2 pov but the more I've watched it, the more I've realised this is actually a really great mixture of a layout. It looks like there should be some good moments of airtime, loads of fantastic headchoppers (of which the video can do no justice), snappy transitions, low to ground sections, well placed inversions. There is plenty there to be genuinely excited about. The only issue with NL2 is that it doesn't really convey speed very well, so it's quite hard to tell just how each of those elements will be taken. 49mph doesn't seem like much on paper, and I know this is more about the "illusion" of speed, but that's the only way I can see this ride falling down in experience.

Those of you who rate Helix, what are your initial thoughts on this? Do you think it'll touch Helix at all in terms of experience?

Honestly not that excited for it in terms of it being a top 5 ride. If it were being built in a major European park I honestly would hardly bat an eyelid.

24774820_10155905634472365_4483755264706296746_n.jpg

****ing love this picture though, perfect contrast of several different ride styles across generations.

This is why people don't value opinions from British enthusiasts. Just so you know.
Yes, because we all think like this of course.

Smithy

Strata Poster
It's top 3, gave me my best ever ride on a coaster but I had a dog rough ride too. Balder pips it out just for being consistently brilliant when I rode it over 2 days, and Shambhala is hovering there or there abouts.

Lofty

CF Legend
Helix is great... in the evening. Day rides are just somewhat 'good', nothing outstanding. Helix also has one of the worst inversions I've encountered. The final roll is absolutely disgusting and feels really unnatural - I'm just hoping that Icon's doesn't feel the same.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Ironically enough that worst ride I had was at the end of the day, but then I think it had burnt through a wheel or something because the train was taken off not long after and it was rough as **** too.

Just re-watched a POV to make sure I was remembering it right, think you're being harsh on it being one of the worst inversions but I can see where you're coming from, I do remember it being a bit jerky. Although it's now made me desperate to go back because that music, that ****ing airtime hill <3

Georgie-M

Mega Poster
yeah, Helix's final inversion was something I really had to brace myself for during the end of my two days there. Funnily enough, I remember being disappointed when Icon's layout was announced and it lacked the signature Mack final inversion, but now I think that might be for the better and at least it will mean the Mack launchers aren't all feeling too similar and repeating the same trick at the end to varying levels of success.

As for how I feel about the ride, I adore Helix so I'm super happy to see this coaster type come to Blighty but it's a long journey for me to Blackpool, with Helix looking to be the better ride and only a short plane trip away. That said, having a big coaster like this with lap bars.. and inversions.. on the same ride.. in the UK? Might help the public warm to the idea so we get more rides like it in the future. It could be just what the UK coaster industry needs.. assuming another UK park can be bothered to get a new thrill coaster in this day and age now the company with a huge monopoly is cutting budgets left right and centre.

Lofty

CF Legend
Ironically enough that worst ride I had was at the end of the day, but then I think it had burnt through a wheel or something because the train was taken off not long after and it was rough as :emoji_zipper_mouth: too.

Just re-watched a POV to make sure I was remembering it right, think you're being harsh on it being one of the worst inversions but I can see where you're coming from, I do remember it being a bit jerky. Although it's now made me desperate to go back because that music, that :emoji_zipper_mouth:ing airtime hill <3
I really am not being harsh though - in my opinion it is one of the worst inversions I've ever done. It's awkward, uncomfortable and just has loads of hangtime (and I detest hangtime).

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I really am not being harsh though - in my opinion it is one of the worst inversions I've ever done. It's awkward, uncomfortable and just has loads of hangtime (and I detest hangtime).
Yep, too hangy, not enough whip through because it doesnt generate any speed through. It's no better than Anubis' bleh hang roll.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Ive re watched the POV and it actually seems significantly faster than what i remember it to be, the turns look much snappier and the airtime looks a bit better. One thing i've also noticed (after riding star trek at MP Germany) is that judging speed is pretty pointless. Star Trek looks PAINFULLY slow off-ride but doesn't ride that way at all, also has some excellent surprise airtime moments and whip.

One thing that would be nice would be some Taronesqe head choppers in the twisty turns, im not sure how densely packed the twisty section will be with supports but i hope you do get some interaction with nearby stuffs. Bar the known interaction points like over by steeplechase.