What's new

Helix vs Taron.

Which is bestest?

• Total voters

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
I don't understand it either. Then again, I haven't ridden any of them. Can someone explain what is wrong with it?

I found it had a little too much hangtime for my liking. After lapping it late at night my legs started to ache from the pressure of the heartline roll. Just a little to sluggish really.

RE the immersion and themes of the surrounding areas, there’s no doubt that way more effort gone into Klughiem but does it really beat being perched on that hill looking out over Gothenburg? The airtime hill after the top hat feels like it’s going to send you way into the city!

Smithy

Strata Poster
... interested for more on this? Don't mean to be a dick but I can't even see this a little bit...

Really?

It has sharp turns, two launches, open seating, only they've chucked in ridiculous airtime on those two hills and some inversions to boot.

Echo Chris' post above about that airtime hill too.

And if you're taking the entire ride area and theming into it by then you need to take into account that Klugheim was basically a blank canvas and built around the ride, whereas Helix has been squeezed onto the side of a ****ing hilltop weaving around rides.

Also as an aside, I'm 100% confident that if they took the sound track away from Taron by that second launch people wouldn't think it was half as intense as they currently do; the sound plays a massive part in it.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Also as an aside, I'm 100% confident that if they took the sound track away from Taron by that second launch people wouldn't think it was half as intense as they currently do; the sound plays a massive part in it.
What do you mean by sound track?
I highly doubt the IMA Score stuff effects people's experience of the launch as you can't hear it while being launched...

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Fair enough re. klugheim vs hillside- horses for courses! I guess that's what makes our hobby so interesting. I much prefer the 100% immersion of 'you're not in a real place' thing where as at LiseB I was quite aware I was in an amusement park rather than a mythical land. Which kinda loses points for me personally.
Horses for courses is exactly what I was going for, but losing points for the "feeling you're in an amusement park" is a very idealistic view of the hobby and taking it a bit far.

Smithy

Strata Poster
There's explicitly a sound added in time with the second launch, I'm certain of it, that almost exaggerates the perceived force of it. It's more noticeable off ride than on ride, obviously.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
There's explicitly a sound added in time with the second launch, I'm certain of it, that almost exaggerates the perceived force of it. It's more noticeable off ride than on ride, obviously.
Ah. I've seen this raised a few times before on the German forums.

There actually isn't a sound added though.
Germany has day to commemorate the dead called Stiller Feiertag (silent holiday) so until 6pm no music plays or shows take place. So on that day you can ride Taron with no music or audio playing, the whole park is silent, everything is turned off - and the launch is still as loud as normal. That is the actual sound the launch makes, nothing is added.
Stiller Feiertag is on 26th November this year should you wish to see/hear for yourself.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Team Helix! I love Taron but there's still a very big gap.

In terms of setting, they're both pretty even to me. Taron is extremely well themed, Helix is not. But Helix has such a great location on the hillside in the city. In this case I take the "real" setting of Helix over the themed setting of Taron. Something about Helix just feels more epic and significant.

The coaster itself then. Taron's best bit (after the second launch, until the trimmed hill) is more intense than anything on Helix. However, the entire first half of Taron is just not that impressive to me, aside from that one twist after the tunnel. Helix's best moments deffo lasts longer and are more spread out over the ride. I also prefer Helix's last inversion over the trimmed airtime hill of Taron. It's no Blue Fire but still a really fun inversion.

I much prefer Helix's airtime over Taron's. Bigger hills with more sustained airtime. Taron has some short pops which are fab but not as impressive to me. The last airtime hill on Helix at night with the view is just amazing and not a single moment of Taron beats that for me.

Helix is far more varied, and has a more consistent flow to me. And a far superior layout. Taron has too many slow parts (and also some crazy fast parts), while I feel Helix flows extremely well and has a very majestic pace. It has a great mixture of all kind of forces. Less intense at parts perhaps, but I generally get a better feeling from it.

Taron has better launches. That's not even an argument. Taron gets all the points there. Taron is smoother as well. But overall I have a strong preference for Helix. Two excellent coasters though.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Ah. I've seen this raised a few times before on the German forums.

There actually isn't a sound added though.
Germany has day to commemorate the dead called Stiller Feiertag (silent holiday) so until 6pm no music plays or shows take place. So on that day you can ride Taron with no music or audio playing, the whole park is silent, everything is turned off - and the launch is still as loud as normal. That is the actual sound the launch makes, nothing is added.
Stiller Feiertag is on 26th November this year should you wish to see/hear for yourself.
I honestly don't doubt you, but until I've experienced it in person I refuse to believe it. There's just no way I can comprehend the launches making that sort of noise when no other launch coaster I've been on has.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I honestly don't doubt you, but until I've experienced it in person I refuse to believe it. There's just no way I can comprehend the launches making that sort of noise when no other launch coaster I've been on has.
I'm kinda with you here. There's definitely a distorted/glitching type roar that can be hear when the second launch goes off. Come to think of it though, I think this might actually play when the train ascends the waterfall. I can believe there are some weird acoustic dynamics that amplify the LSM sound in the trench and create that amazing noise, but at some point during or after the second launch there is definitely that distorted sound. That said, I'm not sure if you can hear it from the train, maybe it just plays on the surrounding paths?

EDIT: In fact, my second guessing myself was correct. You can hear the sound effect just after the second launch here (01.42 for the start of the second launch):
So yeah, I don't think the launch is amplified by speakers, only the dynamics of the trench, but there are definitely other sound effects linked to the launch.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Nah that's just the sound of the waterfall as the train passes, maybe each car catching a bit of spray creating the 'flapping' noise. Watch again, I bet ya that's what it is.

Edit: You can hear it again in the off-ride shot at 02:56 - definitely just the sound of the train passing the waterfall.

Last edited:

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I think Helix has the superior layout and a nicer location on the hillside, but I love Taron's themeing, and Klugheim in general. I voted for Helix, but really I'm split between the two.

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah there’s defo a sound effect as it goes in to the waterfall - it’s the thing going rugghhhggh, kind of reminds me of the Swarm noise. But it’s defo a sound effect, stood there for ages listening to it because it’s fab. There’s a whole soundtrack that goes off with effects as the ride goes round.

Also, why the **** are people saying Helix. Helix is amazing but come on.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Really?

It has sharp turns, two launches, open seating, only they've chucked in ridiculous airtime on those two hills and some inversions to boot.

Echo Chris' post above about that airtime hill too.

And if you're taking the entire ride area and theming into it by then you need to take into account that Klugheim was basically a blank canvas and built around the ride, whereas Helix has been squeezed onto the side of a :emoji_zipper_mouth:ing hilltop weaving around rides.

See I think that Taron pushes everything to the limit far more than Helix. Personally I'm more about speed than inversions so perhaps that's the main reason I love Taron so so much. Don't get me wrong, Helix is still fab but for me just felt a bit floaty and not massively intense. You're right in that the soundtrack plays a massive part, but it's still a part of the ride so I'm counting it as part of the whole experience and a justified reason to love it. Also agree that the way in which they built helix around everything else is incredibly impressive, I just don't like the coaster as much as Taron.

zazobo

Hyper Poster
Horses for courses is exactly what I was going for, but losing points for the "feeling you're in an amusement park" is a very idealistic view of the hobby and taking it a bit far.
I disagree... Personally I'm all about the whole experience, so the theme around a coaster is pretty important to me too. I don't see stuff around Helix and want to point it out and say 'oooh look at that' which I do have with Klugheim, there's just such attention to detail which makes the whole experience of riding the coaster epic.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
I don't see stuff around Helix and want to point it out and say 'oooh look at that'
That's where I'm struggling with this concept.
Oooh look at that, the whole rest of the park below me and upside down.
Oooh look at that, a Lisebergbanan train racing us along the hill.
Oooh look at that, people on the flume waving at us.
Oh sh*t an uppswinget car in my face.
Oh look at that, the city skyline which I'm just about to become a part of.
None of that stuff interests you?
But wait, it's not just a lack of interest, it's a specific reason to mark it down.
We're one step away from saying it felt a bit too much like I was on a rollercoaster.

Sandman

Giga Poster
I've never understood why people vote on 'this vs that' polls if they haven't experienced either ride. I am a bit jealous that I haven't been on Helix to compare it to Taron though.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Double post, but just to add to what the guys have said further up about the sound effect. You can actually hear said effect in the below clip (between 1.01-1.03)