What's new

The Mystery Russian Togo.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Recently a new ride was added to the RCDB called Actpo Kometa (Astra Comet) which is at a park called Maviland in Samara, Russia. The ride drew my attention because it appears to be a clone of the Togo stand-ups that can be found in America and Japan. However I have no evidence either way that it is a Togo or a knock off.

It runs a sit down train which while odd is not unique as the Star Jet at Washuzan Highland also runs one (albeit backwards).

The fact this ride has flown under the radar for so long is in itself interesting. And it appears to have a bit of history as the rides control booth caught fire in February 2012. The ride has since been fixed and is running again and both On and Offride videos of the ride can be found here and here.

Below is a collection of picture I have dug up of the ride. The question is is it really a Togo? and if so was it relocated? I suspect it is a Togo since if it looks like a Togo and has the layout of a Togo it probably is a Togo. But I can't be sure, anyone have any ideas?

Rustogo13.jpg Rustogo21.jpg Rustogo31.jpg Rustogo41.jpg Rustogo51.jpg Rustogo61.jpg Rustogo71.jpg Rustogo81.jpg Rustogo91.jpg Rustogo101.jpg
Rustogo111.jpg Rustogo121.jpg
Sources: VHCoasters via Samara KP & Travel Drom

Last edited:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Thanks for studying up on this surprise Togo roomraider. I always find it so fascinating when larger roller coasters such as this go "amiss."

It would appear to be Togo, especially in the train construction and layout.

BBH

Giga Poster
The standing-and-sitting train combos aren't all that unique on TOGOs, there are several in Japan with such a configuration.

Between the layout, the track/element shaping, and the train design (but also the copious amounts of unnecessary catwalks) I'd say that this is a TOGO.

Posted while reading your mind.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
BBH said:
The standing-and-sitting train combos aren't all that unique on TOGOs, there are several in Japan with such a configuration.

Between the layout, the track/element shaping, and the train design (but also the copious amounts of unnecessary catwalks) I'd say that this is a TOGO.

Well there are 2 which run both train types at the same time (Yomiuriland and Washuzan Highland).

But this one has no stand-up train. Its almost certainly a Togo its just odd it flew under the radar for so long.
I'm willing to bet it was relocated from somewhere but where and when I have no idea.

BBH

Giga Poster
Whoops, sorry, thought that for some reason I saw a stand up train. But yeah, the sit down train does look very TOGO ish.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Sorry for digging this up 3 years later but there is shock horror an update

It has always troubled me that it clearly came from somewhere and didn't originally come from Maviland which opened in 2002 but I've never been able to track down where.

Today a lot of searching and a fair bit of luck lead me to discover the ride's original location.

The ride originally operated in the Russian city of Tula at the sweetly named Metalworkers' Palace. The ride operated from the early 1990s until 2000 when the ride shut down and was eventually moved to Maviland either in 2001 or 2002. Metalworkers' Palace also closed itself in 2003 following a fire and now sits home to a sports complex.

Below are a couple of pictures of the ride operating in Tula during its final season in 2000.

Tula Togo.PNG Tula Togo2.PNG

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Bravo!

Where on earth did you start tracking that down? :p

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Bravo!

Where on earth did you start tracking that down? :p

So I'm currently offshore working and the ROV (Remotely Operated Vehicle) has been down for maintenence my whole shift so far. Huzzah no work for me.

I took the spare time to look into a small ride I found in Belarus yesterday which i needed an exact location for before I send it over to Duane at the RCDB.
At one point i accidentally typed Woods Roller Coaster (in russian) into google since then I've fallen down a rabbit hole of small Russian parks. While composing a rather long list to get up onto the DB. (Currently up to 9 missing parks). This one popped up somewhere along the journey. Couldn't believe my luck as I wasn't specifically searching for it for once.
I know how much Duane loves adding endless Zyclon's, Wild Mice and Wacky Worm's. He is going to be thrilled :p

perhaps the strangest thing about this Togo is it is mentioned that it was bought by a NGO called Тулачермет (Tulachermet) from Japan for this park. That seems like a strange setup.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
You're such a dork. <3

Please keep up the good work!

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
That's...I just need that in my life. Is that the one you found in Belarus?

Afraid this one is no more. It was in Kamenogorsk in Kazakhstan at Metallurg Park. It's been gone a while it seems. Looks like that's probably a good thing.

The Belarus one is brand new and available for your riding pleasure though if you want to goto Zhiliber Park in Grodno.
Grod6.jpg

TilenB

Strata Poster
I'll take dork :p

I did also find this gem yesterday. Perhaps my favourite ever roller coaster car figure head.
View attachment 1964
Oh, I remember finding this photo a while ago. I believe rcdb had the coaster down as an Analog looper, but that was only based on satelite imagery. This one is a Pax Magic Steed and I believe the unit in Moscow's Gorky Park also had the same trains (there could be more, I guess). :p

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
This is amazing. Where do you dig up this scum and villainy?