What's new

Angle of Airtime: Does it Matter?

To you, what exactly constitutes proper airtime?

• A force that tries to toss you out of your seat

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • A force that acts against the natural force of gravity, regardless of orientation

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • A force that acts against the natural force of gravity, oriented normally relative to that force

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

DelPiero

Strata Poster
You're all a bunch of dicks pointing at each other. Just get back on topic ffs. All of these topics derailing into meaningless arguments is really getting tiring.
You're wrong #wannafightaboutit?

Edit - Physics fight of course.

Ben

CF Legend
Thom, when you actually have something interesting to contribute you can come in and tell us to stop arguing.

Lofty

CF Legend
You're all a bunch of dicks pointing at each other. Just get back on topic ffs. All of these topics derailing into meaningless arguments is really getting tiring.
I'm sorry but why are you even trying to wade in now? The only contribution you made was to say that you got airtime on Wildfire? Congratulations. You also seem to miss the point that by stating 'you're all a bunch of dicks' you're antagonising the situation and including yourself in name calling. Idiot.

Reactions: Ben

balrog

Mega Poster
I was on topic, until some people unilateraly decided that my point of view on the topic was not welcome and started insulting me.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
I don't know much about physics, but I'd call any force that gets me out of my seat vertically airtime. If I'm only being pushed sideways without actually getting out of my seat, I think of it as laterals. If it's sideways and vertical, like for example Wildfire and Piraten, it's airtime to me.

balrog

Mega Poster
[The following is just a joke, please don't come at me telling me how condescending I am]
That would be great ! An entire thread dedicated to people trying to answer a physics question without talking physics.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
The sensation you get in your stomach is all of your organs no longer "pressing down" on the stuff underneath them. It's essentially just the opposite of you feeling heavier when experiencing a pull out (higher Gs). Weightlessness is a slightly funny term, colloquially given to objects experiencing "zero-g".
Bit of a wied question, but do you think this usually happens between 1g and -1g or during any negative g?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Bit of a wied question, but do you think this usually happens between 1g and -1g or during any negative g?

It happens any time less than 1g.

At 0g nothing is pushing against anything, and at -1g everything is pushing upwards with the same force as it usually pushes downwards (1g).

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
It happens any time less than 1g.

At 0g nothing is pushing against anything, and at -1g everything is pushing upwards with the same force as it usually pushes downwards (1g).
Thanks. Wasn't sure as I often haven't felt it during some of the more extreme airtime moments I've had.

balrog

Mega Poster
If you want to know for sure how it feels at -1g, just hang upside down for a bit, from monkey bars for example. personally, I don't think it gives as an interesting "internal" feeling as 0g. The thrill mostly comes from the impression that you are being firmly pulled out of the train.

Last edited:

BigBad

Mega Poster
Pure hangtime isn't airtime to me, but riding the Great Adventure Joker gave me a new perspective about inverted airtime. If all you're doing is hanging upside down, such as if you do half of a barrel roll and then just hang against the harness, that's not air. But if you do that half barrel roll and then pitch up to create additional negative force, then that's airtime, though I think the onset of the force would have to be rapid for it to give much effect beyond hanging upside down from the monkey bars.