What's new

Olympia Looping returning to Winter Wonderland?

spicy

Giga Poster
I think this was brought up recently - but I can't remember where - so I won't make a separate thread in Q and A for it, but reading this, I can't help but wonder... why are all the large travelling coasters so old? We're talking about Pinfari and Schwarzkopf all the time here, manufacturers that haven't been in business for years. Höllenblitz was built in 1992, if I understand German Wikipedia correctly.

Since the mid-90s, the coaster industry has gone through multiple revolutions, yet the top-of-the-line travelling coasters all seem to be several decades old. Why don't anybody make (or purchase) any new ones?

It's an interesting point and maybe does deserve its own topic.

Does a current manufacturer even exist with the capability to produce a travelling coaster on the scale of OL?

Not sure if the big 3 B&M/Intamin/Vekoma would want to attempt it? A company like Zamperla maybe?

And I guess if a company did manufacture a travelling coaster on that scale it would be several million pound/euro investment and would take years and a lot of travelling for the owner to break even.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Not sure if the big 3 B&M/Intamin/Vekoma would want to attempt it? A company like Zamperla maybe?

Not sure about Vekoma. They have built portable coasters in the past, like the "Corkscrew with Bayern Curve" MK 1200s, so it very well could be a Vekoma. Alternatively, it could be some other ride named coaster, not actually a roller coaster.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Olympia Looping is fab. It might not be the best coaster in the world but I wouldn't call it overrated. Yet.

I'm really glad people made the effort to ride it last year, and that those who didn't have the chance to mop up the cred can do this year. But that should be it imo. Selfishly, it was always one of those "bragging rights" coasters on my count because it is rare (to some extent) and not that accessible. But by chucking it in the middle of the world's greatest and most accessible city, it will lose part of it's charm and mystique. It's a bit like owning a piece of pop memorabilia. If I had a napkin used by John Lennon on the day he was shot, it would be worth loads both sentimentally and financially. But if everybody had one, the value would diminish. Then it's "oh, it's John Lennon's overrated napkin is on eBay again...."

lachlan

Mega Poster
There is a rumour now saying that Höllenblitz will make its debut at this year's event.
If Hollenblitz was confirmed, I would go for sure. I wish they could confirm the rides list a bit earlier so people can make their plans.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I really don't get what you see in it Will! It's just a spinner that doesn't spin very much in a shed with some lights.
I can convert my Ghostbuster's shed into a Hollenblitz if you want. I've got an office chair and some fairy lights :D

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I'm hearing sounds about Hollenblitz as well, also that Thriller definitely won't be returning this year and there will be a new cred in it's spot.
So there may be 2 new creds this year.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I'm hearing sounds about Hollenblitz as well, also that Thriller definitely won't be returning this year and there will be a new cred in it's spot.
So there may be 2 new creds this year.

Argh no. Didn't get the cred last year because it was closed. Any idea whose ride it might be?

Did Hollenblitz at Oktoberfest this year. It's good for a travelling ride but not super-duper-life-changing-amazing. Not that different from ice mountain in places tbh. I expect the ice mountain concept is based off of it as the two reminded me of each other. I'm always happy to see good rides in the UK though so I'd be pleased if it does come, along with the Olympia news even though I did OL last year and at Oktoberfest.

lachlan

Mega Poster
Just read on the Hyde Park Winter Wonderland page that Hollenblitz won't be coming this year. Oh well don't think it's worth going if no new credits.

vaugc002

Hyper Poster
Ah hope that's not true - I was kinda excited for the big spinner :/. Maybe the Reverchon Wild Mouse XXL will turn up instead tho?..

lachlan

Mega Poster
Ah hope that's not true - I was kinda excited for the big spinner :/. Maybe the Reverchon Wild Mouse XXL will turn up instead tho?..
It sucks but the HPWWO page has been reliable so far.

I'm trying to find another winter wonderland in/near the UK on the scale of Hyde Park but I can't :(

Smithy

Strata Poster
Yeah that page on Facebook is pretty much spot on for WW.

Ah balls, no new creds then I really cba with the hassle of it again.