What's new

Tianjin PTR - Part 4: Water Park and Zoo

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
It’s been a couple of weeks since I went, and it wasn’t the best trip I’ve ever done, so I was thinking of sacking off reporting at all. I’ve got a pile of test papers that need marking though, so I need something to do to put those off.

I had been holding off on Tianjin for ages, thinking that I’d just tie it in with an eventual revisit to Beijing, but since that’s going to be held off even longer – until the B&M hyper goes up – I thought I should just get it done. It was the start of Golden Week – where most people in China have the whole week off work and it can be a nightmare for domestic travel – but it was all totally fine, partly because I traveled up there on the Friday night before it all kicked in properly and partly because Tianjin isn’t really a place most people would go for tourism anyway.

Happy Valley Tianjin

Like all the Tianjin parks, this place was quite far out of the city centre. The first two taxi drivers I tried had no clue what/where it was and did the whole confused chin-rub thing, which I learned a long time ago to take as a sign to just get out and find another one since it’s not worth the hassle to piss about trying to show them where it is while there are dozens of other cabs driving past who might have a f**king clue.

Anyway, third time lucky and I was there just after opening.

The El Loco was due to open about an hour later.

Jr2Jm4b.jpg

KpvtiFi.jpg

oEIyJda.jpg

The kiddy coaster in front of it was open though, so I got that knocked off quickly just before a coachload of school kids lined up.

iDKnNCQ.jpg

ljZPKnt.jpg

0N3VZ0e.jpg

Some theming which had no relevance to what was actually there:

IsMRTmt.jpg

The mine train and water ride were both down for “maintenance”, but they looked f**ked to be honest, the coaster especially, so I just headed to the outside section.

XJhYeQ6.jpg

iOCDZ7q.jpg

pkzCxjD.jpg

The main reason for coming here was the woodie, Fjord Flying Dragon. It’s difficult to get decent pictures of it, and the outside area was dead, so dispatches were very few and far between. I think I took these few pictures early anyway, before it was even open, and went back outside to ride it a bit later.

8uFjpDl.jpg

HsfSMxR.jpg

fLviWSI.jpg

I liked it a lot, but I think it would probably have been better later on a busier day with a chance to warm up. I’ve done a clone – at least I think it’s a clone – at Fantawild Zhuzhou, and didn’t really rate it compared to Fantawild’s other woodies, but for some reason this one at Happy Valley seemed a bit better.

Didn’t do either of these. Strangely for a Happy Valley park, there was quite a bit of Chinese stuff. Most of them are filled with Zamperla, but not here. At least, I’m pretty sure that frisbee is Chinese; I didn’t get that close to look.

HrborRi.jpg

dfupzDl.jpg

Parts of the outdoor area were really well-themed. The large tower is a Christmas-themed drop tower, which I was really excited to try out for the WTF value, especially since it’s so different from anything at other Happy Valley parks. It was f**king shut for “maintenance” though. Bastards.

TGMZxPI.jpg

Ks2j2Jg.jpg

eyReWfq.jpg

By this time the El Loco was due to open, so I got behind about 10 people who were also waiting for them to open the queue line. This was definitely a good idea since the queue built up very quickly. For some strange reason, the indoor area was quite busy and the outdoor area was almost empty. I left early though, so I guess people probably moved through a bit later. Anyway.

zl6wSsY.jpg

Pp5wvqh.jpg

I was expecting capacity to be horrible, but it wasn’t as bad as it could have been. It was all done very weirdly, but at least there were multiple trains being used. It was a bit better than the same model at Indiana Beach and Flamingoland because it only uses lapbars, but these are still crap. There’s on onboard audio system as well, but, unsurprisingly, it was f**ked.

EzMlANr.jpg

i0UjjHr.jpg

Spiteful cred with another f**ked ride:

abwXZwu.jpg

I didn’t see any signs or information about Halloween, but this was clearly for that.

bJfRLFO.jpg

VhVlGAA.jpg

The smaller building had a fairly long Haunted House walkthrough. Most (all?) Happy Valley parks have at least one of these, and they’re all s**te.

BfsMFl0.jpg

This one was longer than most, spread over different floors with pitch black stairs for extra safety, but it was still awful. So much of the stuff inside was broken. It was clear that in some sections, lights should have come on, animatonics should have moved etc., but it didn’t work. Then there was the revolving tunnel which didn’t revolve and the vibrating floors which didn’t vibrate. All totally knackered.

Then there was this “Spiderman-style” 4D dark ride. Happy Valley just fail at these so, so badly.

l9Oc3Hj.jpg

This one was Christmas-themed and, again, it was knackered. So many of the projectors were f**ked, so you had this weird shadow thing happening. If you closed one eye, you would just see nothing because the corresponding projector wasn’t working, so you’re left with a 2D image if you look through the other eye or just take the classes off, or a headache.

RqFrcUN.jpg

There was also one of those rising/falling effects, which are usually great, but it was, again f**ked. The car tilted slightly side to side, but the screen froze and the chaser lights at the sides didn’t work at all. F**king s**te.

I went to catch a show inside, one of those thing with live actors behind a glass screen which gets projected onto.

aV2eDp3.jpg

For some unknown reason, as I went in, the whole sound/projection system was running. There was only me and about 5 other people, but we clearly shouldn’t have been let in as they were obviously running the thing through to check it.

ogs88a9.jpg

So, after we’d seen most of it, without anyone in it, they then decided to run it properly. This lasted for about 2 minutes, before the actress disappeared and then popped out of a side door, waving frantically at the attendant. The whole thing just shut down before the theatre was filled with the sounds of Windows being restarted.

By this point, I’d just had enough so let myself out of an emergency exit while the attendant looked confused and tried to get me to sit back down. I couldn’t possibly want to leave before I’d seen the show! I’d seen a show thanks: a total s**tshow.

The whole park was a total s**tshow. I thought about getting more rides in on the woodie, but I’d just had enough of this place by that point and didn’t want to spend any more time there. It’s a f**king joke, with so many rides down for the count, and so many other, open, rides totally knackered.

I thought it was just a bad day, but it clearly wasn’t since @HeartlineCoaster has also recently reported from here from a visit a few weeks earlier with the same things closed and the same things f**ked.

This place was, by far, the worst of the Happy Valley parks I’ve done. I’ve always defended the chain in the past, but this place was a f**king embarrassment. It’s falling to pieces and with no sign of them doing anything to fix the issues at all. F**k that place.

I was out of there after a couple of hours – I’d allowed myself a full day – and got a taxi to another park that I wasn’t going to bother with originally.

Next part: Fantawild. Another bastard Fantawild.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Wow, that sounds terrible. Like, I'm sort of laughing, but also feel just a bit sad. What a mess.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
I can see how bad the park would seem if you've already got the Zhuzhou clone.
For me, Fjord was enough to make the place good. Just sat on that for half a day surrounded by nice staff.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I didn't find one, admittedly excellent, coaster to make up for the rest of the park unfortunately. There's really no excuse for one of the world's biggest park operators to allow a place to get so run down, to have so much stuff closed (and obviously not just that day either) and so much other stuff falling to pieces. It was also the start of Golden Week. I hit it before it kicked in properly, but the following days should have been one of their busiest times of year. That's when they need to make sure they're offering the best product possible.

Next part:

Happy Valley is quite set back from the main road, and unlike most big Chinese parks didn’t have an obvious area for cars/taxis to drop off and pick up. I managed to bag a taxi from the main road fairly quickly though and headed out to Fantawild, which was even further out of the city. I wasn’t going to bother originally, given the distance from the city centre, but I was half way there already and had the full afternoon to kill.

Fantawild Adventure

Part of the reason I wasn’t going to bother with this one was because it was an “Adventure” park with only a couple of crappy coasters, meaning that the whole thing would be a copy/paste job. This was true, to an extent, but I’m glad I actually made the effort since this was slightly different and was actually really nice.

ojvOfKE.jpg

YYP5r4j.jpg

The main cred was a very typical “Adventure” staple: a Golden Horse SLC. These are horrible. I think I actually prefer the Beijing Shibolai models.

n7UBIKR.jpg

s6uszt1.jpg

AAZHIMU.jpg

vzFlI7A.jpg

Gs3WLFL.jpg

Another copy/paste piece of crap: Mount Tanggula:

pIGb5az.jpg

ZqNVIAz.jpg

EbeBgWC.jpg

So, that was, supposedly, all the creds done, but I discovered a previously unlisted third coaster! A Gravity Group Woodie? One of the new Vekoma layouts that Fantawild have been buying up? Not quite.

kZCQi6T.jpg

Couldn’t even ride the f**ker.

MgSnIoO.jpg

They had the very impressive Escape from Dino Island water ride. I really should get back on one of these at some point because they’re excellent. They’re just so, so ridiculously wet.

rPzC4lA.jpg

3QUROyp.jpg

emj1YLJ.jpg

jiSp40L.jpg

a8BkeLX.jpg

I hadn’t done Conch Bay for a while. It’s a very impressive 3D theatre with multiple screens, animatronics, stuff dropping from the ceiling, seat effects etc. It’s basically an underwater version of Disney’s It’s Tough to be a Bug.

M8ENFkh.jpg

nDusIhG.jpg

TOVEASi.jpg

eSdthzh.jpg

After this is where things start to get a bit more interesting. Well, kind of. The dark ride selection here really wasn’t at all typical of an “Adventure” park. There was a mix of older and newer rides, most of which you’d usually see in a “Dreamland” or “Oriental Heritage”.

Sky Sailor was very much a typical “Adventure” ride, and I skipped it.

yAWQTsw.jpg

Also skipped this, but it’s not a common ride type for the Adventure branded parks.

vqAPS8a.jpg

UJNVvuS.jpg

Dragon Palace was a huge 4D dark ride. It often goes by the name “Rumble Under the Sea” and appears at the Oriental Heritage parks.

c2CnxFu.jpg

vGaOp90.jpg

It was also very different to see Wizard’s Academy here since the Adventure parks usually have Dino Rampage. Wizard’s Academy is the much better ride, and usually appears at Dreamland parks, but I’d only just ridden it a few weeks earlier, so wouldn’t have minded a Dino Rampage.

N1jQN3o.jpg

QbUkVuA.jpg

hGDDwzQ.jpg

mHMxgmr.jpg

cmIcQ4P.jpg

They also had a haunted house walkthrough, which I’ve never seen at any Fantawild park. Everyone in the queue was buying and wearing ponchos, but I’m a hard bastard so didn’t bother.

MGEjteG.jpg

It was a bit better than the usual offering at Happy Valley, but still not great. There was one section where you walk over a bridge which has water raining down on it, hence the ponchos, but it’s not a massive deal if you just duck quickly through it.

I was mostly surprised to see a Devil’s Peak ride, which are mostly found at Oriental Heritage parks.

5rED7QG.jpg

They’re really good, but capacity is dreadful at the best of times. It’s a “Forbidden Journey” style ride system, but without the constant throughput of the cars. They usually slowly load up two or three at a time, which is bad enough, but this one was literally running one car at a time, so was only getting four people through every 10-15 minutes. The queue wasn’t big, so I waited it out since I was done with everything else anyway, but I still waited over half an hour to clear the 12 people in front of me.

This is where Fantawild massively piss me off. The ride system obviously can’t cope with anything remotely approaching a decent throughput. This would have been known from the initial installations of the rides. Rather than build one, try it out and tweek it, they just copy and paste the flawed attraction everywhere, so they all have the exact same issues.

So they’ve got a huge, excellent, and no doubt incredibly expensive ride which, in the best-case scenario, is only clearing about 80 people an hour, usually a lot fewer, meaning most park guests won’t bother with it. I’ve seen soooooooo many people, including this time, see the short queue, join it, then leave after 10 minutes since they can see how it’s all working. It’s such a massive shame.

No doubt there will be a version 2 of this ride system at some point, which will be better, but they’ll still roll out the old version to some parks without incorporating any improvements, much in the same way that they still role out exact clones of the old Dino Rampage ride, with all its faults, even though they’ve improved on the technology with Wizard’s Academy and Legend of Nuwa.

This was also the first time that the height restriction has ever been mentioned to me. It has an upper height limit of 180cm, which I’m slightly above, but I’ve never been checked. This time, there was no physical check, but I got asked and just said 178. Job done.

Anyway, I’m glad I came out here in the end, not because there was anything remotely new for me, but because it was such an atypical Adventure park. It was much, much nicer than Happy Valley as well. They had the usual Adventure coaster line up, but then had a variety of rides from across the whole range of the chain. It makes me think that they’re either not planning a second gate here at all, or, if they are, they might have to go down a different route to the usual Dreamland or Oriental Heritage theme.

It’s Fantawild, though. Who the f**k knows what they’re thinking any more.

XlvvAjl.jpg

I got a taxi back into the city and got the driver to drop me somewhere fairly central, with a bunch of old buildings/traditional streets, so I could have a bit of a look around.

Hk7Zi3x.jpg

gkD9t7s.jpg

p6Cb6JK.jpg

JHGyhvw.jpg

rWeu5jW.jpg

eD7tdhS.jpg

I tried desperately to find a bike, the intention being to cycle down to the river and then back to my hotel.

AXImf96.jpg

Couldn’t find one anywhere.

1ocszf3.jpg

The streets around there were supposedly quite popular with tourists since they’re all quite quaint and with a bunch of old buildings and s**t. I didn’t find it up to much really.

twQzYfe.jpg

NhnrZjY.jpg

P5d6U4B.jpg

4s6wAKA.jpg

All in all a busy and mixed day then. I didn’t like Happy Valley at all despite it having a really decent coaster, and I liked Fantawild quite a lot despite it not having anything I haven’t done loads of times already. What I saw of Tianjin was pleasant enough up to that point as well.

Next day coming up.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I love the huge boat ride. I think the theming looks great (or at the very least, photogenic), and they always seem to have an impressive splash.

Thanks for the update. :)

peep

CF Legend
Urgh that day at Happy Valley sounds gross, how do these big parks ever get in such a state? Surely they're making enough money to keep up on the maintenance?

Fantawild looks great though, really need to get back to visit some more of their parks. Weird they don't fix the flawed ride systems though when rolling them out, maybe it just helps keep the cost down?

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Its a shame HV is in such a state. When I visited a little while after opening it was my favourite of their parks at the time. Everything was running (except the tower which hadn't been finished yet) and the mine train was actually excellent. Way better than any other Chinese built mine train I've done.
How they've let it fall into such a state I don't know.

On the Fantawild side I believe the weird mix of attractions
If i remember correctly this park opened for a while and then closed for a year or so for renovation. Perhaps they added some of the new ride designs at that point?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ That makes sense actually. The newer rides were all along one edge of the park. It still doesn't explain the lack of a Dino Rampage though.

On we go then...

The next day wasn’t great in terms of creds, which I was expecting, but I managed to get around a fair bit.

I got a taxi out to the first park, but if I would have looked into it properly, it would have been much better to take a train. Traffic leaving the city was quite bad because of the holiday kicking in, so it took well over an hour. There’s a train station not too far from the park, with regular connections to Tianjin’s main station, which only take around 15 minutes, followed by a 5-10 minute taxi ride at the other end to get to the park. Oh well, still cheap and comfortable at least.

Victory Kingdom

As I was planning this trip, other people had been and reported that all the coasters were closed. I was close to sacking it off, but I’d given myself time to get out here, I wanted to see for myself (I’ve seen SBNO reports from people before who were just spited and didn’t want to admit it), and figured that since it was the start of a busy holiday week, if they were going to get stuff up and running, it would be then.

The entrance area seemed ok.

M1wLbbW.jpg

9b6wUUE.jpg

It was just after opening, so I wasn’t expecting crowds.

ibqvlRA.jpg

First cred, Golden Horse spinner. Closed.

D0TbKkY.jpg

Golden Horse water coaster. Closed.

HImvDvs.jpg

pujVXF1.jpg

I knew that this thing had been closed for ages, so no surprise there.

VwEmfR3.jpg

OQDyxLc.jpg

KTtx5Sk.jpg

6FYwhuG.jpg

A few other people had arrive to enjoy all the closed rides.

6FYwhuG.jpg

GUqvXqB.jpg

o4UUROD.jpg

tgRNt4G.jpg

Closed:

wftqzwN.jpg

Closed:

STva3Qg.jpg

The only things which were open:

buEgYVF.jpg

TjSli1G.jpg

ibOfmPN.jpg

The Disc-O was making some horrendous noises, so that’s on its way out, too.

One final coaster, which was, obviously, closed.

Mykt8dW.jpg

bJr0754.jpg

I’ll leave you with some of the gorgeous landscaping:

taMpwLX.jpg

FSqoX3b.jpg

WjRWwqc.jpg

So yeah, the place is obviously f**ked. If they can’t get their s**t together for a major holiday, and can’t even afford to get a GH spinner and some basic Chinese flat rides working, then there’s obviously no hope for the place. They really just need to admit defeat. There’s no money coming in to get stuff fixed, which means there are no people coming, which means there’s no money coming in to get stuff fixed… You get the picture.

I went into some “Tourist Information” office just outside the entrance and got a refund. They tried to point at a map on the wall, showing me all the amazing “open” attractions, but when I did the same thing with all the “closed” ones – basically everything – they realised how ridiculous the whole thing was and were quick to apologise and give me my money back.

There was a small park nearby which I walked over to, knowing that the situation there was likely to be the same.

Youth Centre

VrY9gy2.jpg

jE3WIKJ.jpg

None of these things were happening. The same reports had come out of this place as at Victory Kingdom, but, again, I just wanted to check.

AlTRV99.jpg

jzIsMi3.jpg

rnFJwTN.jpg

Df2myYC.jpg

p9XdXHn.jpg

FI7THqF.jpg

ecwWAms.jpg

They also, annoyingly, had a set of these:

aFZXu85.jpg

dFUI9oh.jpg

They’re clearly creds. RCDB’s refusal to include them slightly annoys me considering what else actually makes the cut in some cases. Not that it mattered since they were obviously closed, but this place would have had a +6 for the count.

After this trip - along with other people reporting the same problems this year - and sending pictures to RCDB, both places now finally have the coasters listed as SBNO. A casual +10 just sitting there and rotting.

I decided to get the train back into the city, so got a taxi towards the station, but popped across the road to grab some lunch first at this quaint, traditional, Chinese fishing village I happened to stumble across.

9dWdgxL.jpg

wWN2ZFw.jpg

sr00FR1.jpg

QW8gTYF.jpg

zxveXz8.jpg

RnGgnq6.jpg

KpVBjip.jpg

QOHbCE3.jpg

I couldn’t buy a train ticket since I didn’t have my passport with me – a rookie mistake, but since I hadn’t taken the train to get out there, I hadn’t thought to bring it. It was a bit annoying, but nothing to be done there.

The train ticket situation is one of very few times that you’re reminded you’re in a communist country; they keep tabs on where people are going by having to provide ID to buy train tickets, which are then scanned at station entrances/exits. It’s a bit silly when, in this case, the distance was so small and buses could also be used, which don’t require ID, but I guess a “one-size-fits-all” method for buying train tickets is easiest. Commie bastards.

Back to the taxis then, but this time I got the driver to just take me to a Metro station on the outskirts of the city, rather than go all the way and have to deal with city-centre traffic again.

I’d spotted a couple of potential places for surprise creds, so checked them out.

Changhong Park

Lovely little place:

utg2MHZ.jpg

8Cx8qSS.jpg

cY2AuKg.jpg

tYPodjW.jpg

1tQf8bg.jpg

There was a small rides area, but, alas, no surprise jungle mouse or powered dragon.

U0qme6m.jpg

Hx2lh6f.jpg

1HdxhBx.jpg

Next!

Ergong Park

B1txQUK.jpg

YTddSb7.jpg

7iWeuwj.jpg

IsjrqKy.jpg

uDTc1g3.jpg

7sME4Ac.jpg

Success! And it was actually running! Behold the first pictures of this amazing coaster.

bbgebOw.jpg

inoutyF.jpg

iRtMB9u.jpg

After this enormous coup, I decided to finish up the day with some tourist stuff, figuring that a road named “Ancient Cultural Street” had a small chance of fitting the bill.

bP4WDcD.jpg

6Pvz9pS.jpg

GqpCx8B.jpg

It was, unsurprisingly, very busy, which was to be expected on any day really, given the lack of tourist stuff in Tianjin, but especially the weekend at the start of a public holiday.

xjVqRPr.jpg

tKJolfv.jpg

eVNMlQy.jpg

Ugh.

dwuPsGp.jpg

The ancient cultural escalator was an especially nice touch. I’m not an expert, so I’m not sure if it’s Ming or Qing Dynasty.

BZQEYJK.jpg

gSwcSKU.jpg

The traditional handicrafts on sale were also incredible.

nka4Xcs.jpg

For Chinese history buffs – and I know there are many of your reading this - you’ll be interested to know that Ancient Cultural Street actually dates all the way back to 1986.

EOv3vmU.jpg

uf4ZXdU.jpg

From there, I had a walk up the river towards the Tianjin Eye.

Y2Dl1Cv.jpg

fr7R7vk.jpg

jzjyk0w.jpg

SkN1KVB.jpg

It’s not particularly big – joint seventh tallest along with four others of the same height – but looks pretty impressive thanks to the location on the bridge.

prs8SNQ.jpg

Z0sIfnX.jpg

It was really busy though, so I didn’t bother with it.

f2bd9oy.jpg

It also wasn’t too close to a Metro Station, and the large numbers of people were making it a bit of a pain to get a taxi, so I just got another shared bike, planning to use it to get to the metro, but ended up just riding the 30-40 minutes back to the hotel.

Another mixed bag of a day then. I knew that it was very, very unlikely that I’d get any coasters, so Victory Kingdom wasn’t exactly a disappointment, but it was a bit of a mission just to confirm what I basically already knew. It’s kind of interesting to see parks in that state though.

Then there was the previously unknown powered dragon, the discovery of which has obviously shaken the coaster enthusiast community to its core, and a bit of ancient culture from the 1980s, so…

There’s another day left of this s**te.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Wow its incredible to see how downhill those 2 parks have gone. I visited almost exactly 3 years ago now and apart from the Intamin which had been shut all that year I got every one of those creds. (You didn't miss much apart from the weird musical lift hill on the spinning mouse). It was obvious this park was doomed even then though. The fact they couldn't afford to run their signature ride because launching it a few times wiped out their profit for the day was a pretty obvious death knell.

I always worry about these independent parks in China that have just kind of jumped on the bandwagon. Happy Valley, Fantawild and Wanda for the most part seem to know what they are doing when it comes to positioning their parks and keeping them running. But parks like this which are dead from the start lack any investment after the original outlay and are just in weird places always seem like they are doomed. I was a bit worried about Lewa World but that seems to be doing ok (sans Boomerang).

Oh well the best we can hope for is that Intamin gets a new home.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
With the independent parks, I think it's mostly down to location, closely followed by competition.

There are plenty of craphole parks in city centre areas that manage ok because they're easily accessible and cheap, even if there are much better parks in the general area. I'm thinking here of places like Century Park in Zhengzhou, which is awful, but much more accessible and cheaper than Fantawild which is much further outside the city, and JinJiang Action Park in Shanghai, which has some major competition with the likes of Happy Valley and Disney, but potters along well enough because it's central and cheap.

Victory Kingdom was f**ked as soon as Happy Valley opened. They're both pretty much the same distance from Tianjin city centre, but in totally opposite directions. Victory Kingdom is more easily accessible I guess because of the nearby train station, but nobody was ever going to choose it over Happy Valley. Fantawild also wouldn't have helped matters. If it was actually in Tianjin instead of outside, it would probably be doing ok.

Lewa will be fine for a while because, although it's quite far out of Xian city centre, it has no real competition yet. Plus, although it's mostly filled with Chinese crap, it's a decent, full-day park for most people with a lot of rides crammed into it.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Glad I didn't bother with Victory then. You're doing us a great service.

I like the picture with the Monkey King crossing the road in touristy bit.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Im fascinated with Devils Peak at Fantawild now.... Literally had no idea there were tracked Robocoasters outside of Universal.
Do you have any details in terms of what it does? Does it have many sets of rotating dome screens? Is it much of a layout or is it sort of just a simple oval then back to the station?
I always had the perception that other parks would never have the budget for these.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ I've just dug out some pictures I took at Asian IAAPA a few years ago at the Fantawild booth, before the rides started opening:

SAM_0032_zpsdgciwg72.jpg

SAM_0033_zpscmmarmpf.jpg

SAM_0031_zpsa9ewsh7b.jpg

SAM_0038_zpst4mm83lr.jpg

The model doesn't seem massively accurate to the finished product at all other than the track style and cars.

The layout could be a pretty simple oval, but I'm not sure. It's very hard to really tell given the movement of the robotic arms, and they do move a lot. It certainly doesn't seem as basic as the model. The rooms are also much bigger in the actual ride. Well, bigger rooms for set pieces and obviously smaller if it's just screens.

The ride definitely has the rotating dome screens. There are at least two sets of those, but probably more. Partway through my last ride on one I had a bit of a look around outside the regular field of vision and noticed the domes twice. Not sure how many had come before I started looking more.

The model is heavily screen-based when the actual ride has a lot more physical sets as well. There are things like collapsing pillars/ceilings, spiked logs rolling over you, something very similar to the "dementors" section in Potter, but not executed nearly as well. I think there's a dragon at some point?

Bu yeah, don't look at those model pictures as really resembling the ride at all; it's obviously just to show the concept. The finished product is much "bigger", not as screen-heavy, and definitely includes a few sets of those rotating dome screen things.

Last edited:

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Who actually built the Potter rides at Universal? I know Kuka do the actual robot arms but did someone else work on the track system?
I am fairly sure the Fantawild ones are in house.

I only really ask because there is one planned for Wanda Guangzhou and its listed as a Premier built installation.
Premier Robo.JPG

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^No idea on Universal, but I'm almost certain Fantawild's are in-house since they actually sell their rides outside of their own parks, as they were trying to do at the IAAPA mentioned above.

At least one of their "Potter" rides is operating in a shopping mall somewhere, unconnected to their park/brand, and opened before the Devil's Peak rides started operating. I've got no idea if it's the same theme inside, or whether it something different using that system, but knowing Fantawild, it'll be a clone.

Finishing this weekend up then.

I had a third day in Tianjin thanks to a long weekend, with a flight in the evening, so polished off a bit of stuff. After the resounding success of finding an unknown powered dragon the day before, I thought I’d try my luck again.

People’s Park

It seems that every Chinese city has a “People’s Park”, and there are often creds to be found in them.

0tb0XcT.jpg

hg7491f.jpg

qMn7cuU.jpg

QyiUjgG.jpg

Nice enough place, but not very big.

84LezJH.jpg

This is looking promising…

VtJtW51.jpg

But no. Bollocks.

Next then.

Water Park

This was a huge park made up of interconnecting islands on/around a lake.

1gPMLMT.jpg

WkfzIuE.jpg

s66ndqF.jpg

7TFk45S.jpg

twh6MLz.jpg

Eqp70oI.jpg

There were lots of people around, but it didn’t feel crowded thanks to the size. Lots of stuff going on as well, as there usually is in Chinese city parks. It was close to Tianjin Tower (number 8 in the world, so meh), so there were decent views across to that from many areas of the park.

FnZWeEN.jpg

9joAvnN.jpg

QAAYZ3R.jpg

P53Czcy.jpg

S0eCHO0.jpg

zzibOI3.jpg

LmpJorW.jpg

3eAMkJt.jpg

u5LDinD.jpg

RoFuD66.jpg

Some huge new building going up. It doesn’t count yet since it’s not finished, but it’s the 3rd tallest in China (5th in the world).

Ifp8AVZ.jpg

Anyway. Rides.

TmibsKq.jpg

1Th5gUB.jpg

3zJpi0o.jpg

aZZefCN.jpg

I’m assuming this is Chinese made? I can’t remember the Huss model in enough detail and can’t be arsed to check really. If it is Chinese, it’s the first one I’ve seen. It wasn’t running anyway.

Fg9nQle.jpg

EDATply.jpg

8weSFOE.jpg

Creds then.

rJ9CdhX.jpg

Spinning mouse joy.

OzDeIdH.jpg

For f**k’s sake.

bXawWCw.jpg

I checked RCDB there and then, and it must have been changed to SBNO literally over that weekend. It’s clearly been f**ked for a while though.

khRcFVv.jpg

There was something else running at least.

qdRmw9y.jpg

Em8J9SO.jpg

I actually prefer these to the Golden Horse version. They’re still crap, but at least the layouts aren’t a direct ripoff. The positioning of the restraint coupled with quite a strong airtime hill made for squashed bollocks, but otherwise it was fine. A fiver though, the thieving bastards.

mbqGxBt.jpg

C1uj1xS.jpg

lNHa0J3.jpg

h4ghvaZ.jpg

Part of the Water Park, on the south side of the lake, was taken up by the next place.

Tianjin Zoo

I think it about 3 quid to get in. The rides area was right inside the main entrance.

8TVh9j9.jpg

HayyHFE.jpg

EsDlSFU.jpg

tCZ9OYI.jpg

RCDB had a jungle mouse listed here, but with no pictures. Imagine my delight at discovering that it was actually one of these:

A0hJMjh.jpg

X4aXrLq.jpg

Rkrfg6N.jpg

y8A0kY4.jpg

2Z5uwPC.jpg

I had a quick look around the zoo. Sick of pandas to be honest.

A9HFcfO.jpg

The zoo itself was mostly fine, with most animals having access to decently-sized outdoor areas even if they weren’t using them. I’ve seen better in China, but also a lot worse. As usual though, the behavior of the guests was f**king appalling.

L9bCEPX.jpg

ENY7HrM.jpg

It was just constant banging on glass, throwing food etc. There are always signs up, but the staff do f**k all to stop it. I didn’t stay long.

I kind of hate giving money to these places, not because they’re particularly bad in a lot of cases when it comes to overall conditions, but because of the stress caused by customers. They don’t even pretend to have anything to do with education or conservation, with most animals being complete zoo “staples”, but at least it’s honest I guess.

Having said all that, if there’s a cred involved, I’d happily get off my high horse, shoot a chimpanzee, steal the babies and sell them to China myself.

Ironic sign:

csVmVEn.jpg

It was to the airport from there, which isn’t too far from the city centre and is on the Metro, so all very convenient.

So, it wasn’t the best weekend really, but I’m glad I got Tianjin out of the way finally. I knew a good handful of those coasters weren’t operating, so that wasn’t an issue. The absolute state of Happy Valley was a big disappointment though, despite at least getting their woodie.

I think Tianjin “suffers” a bit with being so close to Beijing. Even though it’s a massive city in itself – 6th in China based on population – it’s only a 35-minute train ride from Beijing, with those trains running as frequently as 10 times an hour.

I’m glad I did it as a separate weekend though, rather than tying it in with Beijing, as I got to see more of it than I probably would have done otherwise.