What's new

Alton Towers | Wicker Man | GCI Wood

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
I agree, but why theme this to a dark theme at all when it's clearly a family ride. Wouldn't it be nice to have something originally themed which attracts the youngsters.

Oh 100% it’s completely bonkers. Multi inverting launched RMC themed to this would be reasonable but not a ****ing tin pot baby GCI

Smithy

Strata Poster
Maybe they're relying on the theme being the thrill aspect of it rather than the actual ride itself?

Can't get teenagers excited about a woodie that doesn't look to do much but can get them excited in a dark horror theme.

Will

Strata Poster
I disagree. The main things you'd know about the Wickerman without seeing the film are human sacrifice and burning a :emoji_poop: ton of wood. Personally, if I had a child and saw a giant wooden structure themed to being burnt, it might put me off. Also, I might be concerned about dark imagery in the queueline. And possibly bees. Was telling the family about the theme earlier and showed them the wicker man under binbags. They asked if it'll be unveiled in time for bonfire night XD
I've been thinking that if the idea isn't used in the fireworks either this year or next, then it's a total wasted opportunity. Although that is of course, what Merlin do best.
Also, there's probably a fairly high percentage of those under 20 who aren't aware of the Wickerman films... or this song.
[media]

Meh, I'm joining in with the people saying that another dark theme on another utterly mediocre looking family coaster makes little sense.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Maybe they're relying on the theme being the thrill aspect of it rather than the actual ride itself?

Can't get teenagers excited about a woodie that doesn't look to do much but can get them excited in a dark horror theme.

I think this is the idea they're shooting for, but to continue the metaphor, it's paper-thin, and their own foot is behind it.

They have a ride that is less-than-thrilling, but also a thrill reputation they want to maintain. So it seems they try to make up for the ride experience by tacking on a thrilling theme, instead of embracing the family-friendliness. Now thrillseekers will find the ride experience tame and overhyped, while families who'd like the ride experience are scared away by the gloomy atmosphere. It's just like Thirteen, which could have been a good family coaster if Alton hadn't insisted on selling it as a "dark psychological experience". Or Rita, which for some reason got a gloomy retheme. Dark and edgy just for the sake of appearing more thrilling and scary than it really is. They might have got it right with Smiler (and way before then, with Nemesis), which has a ride experience to match the themeing, but the aforementioned attractions just sound like an attempt to cheaply squeeze out more thrill than they are willing to actually pay for. Family ride, family-unfriendly wrapping, disappointment for all.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Wouldn't it be interesting if Merlin continued their mismatched marketing/themes with their rides. Perhaps we can soon expect to ride a huge cross-valley RMC themed towards the alphabet or a marshmallow land.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
People love dark themes, I mean, look at scare mazes, they're berely intense at all, you probably go a max of 2mph, there's not banking, berely any height variant yet people flock to them.

In all seriousness though I think people labelling Thirteen as a failure of marketing are missing the point here. Those pre-teen kids are pretty fearless. I've taken a seen plenty of kids under 1.4 at alton trying to drag their parents onto Oblivion or The Smiler. They're reaching that age where they want to tell their school mates of the scary rollercoaster they rode on their summer holidays. When I was there, every single day I had to deal with a guest who's child was too small for Galactica or Nemesis, I could always say "but there is a big rollercoaster you CAN go on!" and point them to Thirteen. That way the family still felt like they were getting their money's worth (to an extent) it was a useful tool in diffusing the situation.

I don't expect SW8 to be groundbreaking on the world stage by any means, but I'm very excited to ride it. I've grown very fond on re-ridable family coasters that make me giggle all the way round over rides that make me almost pass out/throw up. It may be packaged as the next Nemesis, but who cares, it gives the kids a chance to feel like they've ridden a Nemesis equivilent.

WhollyRudeTech

Roller Poster
Would love to know what globally unique means from the video number 2. Is that the same as worlds first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Would love to know what globally unique means from the video number 2. Is that the same as worlds first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I suppose globally unique could reference something that did once exist, but no longer does.

Ben

CF Legend
To be fair, just having a different layout is being 'globally unique'.

Or being Wicker Man themed is.

It sounds like marketing speak without actually being anything specific.

A bit like 'World class' like what does that mean.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Yup, it's marketing jargon without any real weight or point to it.
Every living thing is globally unique, anything not identically mass produced is globally unique.

It's a **** term, poor decisions constantly being made it seems.

Psycoshark1

Roller Poster
I'm guessing you don't know much about the human anatomy as that's absolutely not his stomach.
Surely we are not turning this thread into a discussion about the anatomy of a piece of ride theming. For those of you who are a bit anal about these things it was his chest.