What's new

Alton Towers | Wicker Man | GCI Wood

Smithy

Strata Poster
I'm actually quite looking forward to it, I think it'll be a fun little ride without being too intimidating to the GP. othing special but a good solid addition.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
I like GCI but that little dip looks just about as exciting as watching a Coaster-NET video.

That other post indicates it's a triple down so there's definitely still a chance it'll get some speed in there.

Lofty

CF Legend
It's not really a triple down, though? It has a rise after the first initial drop, banks to the right and then drops again?

There really is no hope in this being any good.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'm actually quite looking forward to it, I think it'll be a fun little ride without being too intimidating to the GP. othing special but a good solid addition.

Themed to a couple of horror films that involve burning people alive, nudity and BEES!

Thirteen part 2 I think? "Family coaster" made inappropriate by theme so it satisfies nobody.

wicker-man-bees.jpg

TheCoasterCruiser

Giga Poster
It's not really a triple down, though? It has a rise after the first initial drop, banks to the right and then drops again?

There really is no hope in this being any good.

Calling it a triple down might be stretching it a bit, but the sequence from the top of the lift to the bottom of the first big turn is three significant descents from the tallest to the lowest point of the layout, which I think will ride rather nice.
This picture shows at least a double down (or part of it) within that sequence:

21150262_10155671494648185_5136578194129484339_n.jpg

Source:

peep

CF Legend
Thirteen part 2 I think? "Family coaster" made inappropriate by theme so it satisfies nobody.

So far I think this is my biggest issue with the whole thing. Thirteen is a good family coaster with the wrong theme style and this is totally the same thing.

I don't really get excited for wooden coasters so I wasn't hyped for this in the first place but even looking at it as a family coaster it looks tedious.

Sandman

Giga Poster
I can understand those who say that they are excited for this purely because it's wood + Alton Towers. In a way, I think Towers could be constructing Bandit or Coaster Express and there would still be that air of excitement. Just cos, y'know, first proper UK woodie since Megaphobia.

Anyway, it's all fun and games until we start seeing some beautiful steel track arrive at BPB. Then we'll all look back and laugh at that time we were excited for SW8.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
It still baffles me how Merlin didn't get RMC to do this project for them. I'm sure RMC would have made a much better use of terrain and the available land than GCI.

I can't bring myself to be excited about this project. At. All.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I dunno guys, I think mediocre woodies are *always* better than mediocre wooden coasters, just by their very nature.

And I think wood suites Alton spiritually so much that I cannot throw away hope for this project just yet.

My real concern is like Furie mentioned, though. It's gonna be another 13. I wish I knew what their logic with that was.

Maybe it will be suitably intense, but it's going to have a comparatively low height restriction, so why not have just made it suitable thematically for kiddos? They could have pretty much had the same essential theme of a woodland, mysterious, magical thing without having to rely on horror. It's a bit of a shame.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
From the moment I first saw the plans, I kind of expected an average-to-meh coaster from the get-go. I've got over the initial 'it could have been so much more' stage now, so this is pretty much what I've been expecting.

My concern is still about whether the theme will be too dark. If they can churn out a Scarefest attraction from it, then it must be quite dark. I just hope that it ends up being a sort of 'oh look, we've got a wooden ride, wood burns easily, be careful of the fire' theme, and they're going with Wicker Man to suit the idea and key theming feature. That'd work and not be too dark, but I can see it going so much further unfortunately...

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
It looks impressive but I think it'll be another SW project that is family friendly and not up to the standard of Nemesis.

To be honest, "family friendly" seems to be the best case scenario right now. I agree with the discussion above; this seems headed to become a family coaster wrapped into a way too dark and edgy theme, making the coaster too tame for adults and too scarily themed for families. Thirteen fell solidly between the same two chairs, but it seems like Merlin thinks the reason that one failed was nothing but a little fluke. This time, it surely ought to work!

Or, perhaps more likely, they want to build a ride for thrillseekers, but can't afford the associated costs (height, noise, land use, maintenance costs due to great forces, etc.). The chosen "solution" seems to be to wrap a family ride in a dark and edgy themeing, so at least one aspect of the coaster is aimed in the direction they want to go.

Last edited:

Lofty

CF Legend
Or, perhaps more likely, they want to build a ride for thrillseekers, but can't afford the associated costs (height, noise, land use, maintenance costs due to great forces, etc.). The solution would be to wrap a family ride in a dark and edgy themeing, so at least one aspect of the coaster is aimed in the direction they want to go.
That's not strictly true, though and is why Merlin constantly face pessimism and negativity. They consistently do this with rides; theme what is essentially a family coaster to an adults theme and market, therefore attracting that group and not selling the correct product to them - therefore facing massive issues with complaints etc. In reality, what they should've done is themed this to a narrative that fits the experience, it's already in the Mutiny Bay area, so why they didn't bother to just theme it to adventure/pirates is absolutely BEYOND me - the experience would have attracted the same clientele, but not the hassle and aggro that this IS going to have.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
That's not strictly true, though and is why Merlin constantly face pessimism and negativity. They consistently do this with rides; theme what is essentially a family coaster to an adults theme and market, therefore attracting that group and not selling the correct product to them - therefore facing massive issues with complaints etc. In reality, what they should've done is themed this to a narrative that fits the experience, it's already in the Mutiny Bay area, so why they didn't bother to just theme it to adventure/pirates is absolutely BEYOND me - the experience would have attracted the same clientele, but not the hassle and aggro that this IS going to have.
Whoops, I forgot to add some air quotes around a word there (edited the post to make my point better). I'm not advocating the practise of wrapping family rides in adult packaging and selling them as adult rides, but it sure seems like Merlin is really fond of it.

Other than that, I agree with your post. Ever since Thirteen, perhaps earlier (Saw?), Merlin seems to be stuck in the belief that their target demographic don't want to have fun, they want to be scared. But they can't build truly scary coasters (too expensive, too tall, too everything), so they invoke dark and gritty imagery in an attempt to make the rides more "thrillseeker-oriented". They can't do squat about the G-forces, though, ending in a slew of rides that pretend to be way more intense than they really are.

Instead, they really ought to embrace the ride hardware and make the overall ride experience enhance its characteristics, instead of trying to make it something it isn't. A jolly pirates theme would not make SW8 any less forceful, the same way a gloomy tone won't make the ride go faster. Half the disappointment they face (from me, at least) is from their insistence to pretend that the rides are something they clearly are not, rather than manning up and being honest about them from the start. Have the guts to say "This is a small drop tower! It makes your stomach tickle!" instead of "Are you ready to meet a monster? Edgy tagline!".

Ethan

Strata Poster
^ I have to agree with both of the previous posts. I just don't understand why ALL new additions must be sinister, dark and dirty looking. It's actually getting pretty boring now. I thought Thorpe Park were trying to appeal more to families, but then they add DBGT. I'm sure they had many reasons, but it just seemed odd to me.

I agree with the pirate thing too. Why they didn't theme it to Mutiny Bay and keep the tone lighthearted and fun, I have no idea. If they'd done that, without all this fake hype they're trying to drum up, I'd say most of us would have a much more hopeful look on this. Has the theme got anything to do with the Wickerman film? Or is this just coincidence/a blatant rip off?

supersion

Mega Poster
I'm quite surprised how negative many of the responses have been on here regarding this coaster!
Granted it won't be the best ride in the world, however let's remember it replaces a log flume that had definitely seen it's best days, and took up quite a lot of space! It's understandable for Merlin to take this decision! It's certainly an improvement over what once was there, and I'm pretty optimistic that it will make for a great ride!

Is it a little short? Yes... I cannot argue against that, as that's quite clear in the plans. However, I genuinely believe a backseat ride on this could make for something pretty exciting. Along with the tunnels, near misses of the thematic structure and changing directions at a good pace could really add up for something really fun. I''m sure this will become some peoples favourite Alton ride. I don't believe it has be super tall, super fast, super long to be a great ride. I've experienced many a ride that seems tame and underwhelming, but end up having the most fun on it. I'd much rather have a lot of fun on a ride, rather than just pure adrenaline.

Regarding the theme, It's different, and it's engaging! Slowly Merlin are improving their efforts in terms of theming. it's no doubt they could take it further with the smaller details, however I'm just glad to see another ride being added and will no doubt be a hit for Alton.

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
I''m sure this will become some peoples favourite Alton ride.
In some ways I agree with what you said, and then you said this! I don't see many people rating this higher than nemesis or The Smiler. Hopefully it'll be a fun ride and it will be good to get a modern woodie in the UK, but it's hard to get too excited about it.

As for it replacing the flume, there's no doubt that ride was way past it's best, but the park is in dire need of some non-coaster attarctions to flesh out the ride line-up and satisfy the family market.