What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

jay37415

Mega Poster
It's most likely for F.L.Y. at Phantasialand and we are discussing that for a while now in the F.L.Y. thread :D
Phantasialand has confirmed a launched flying coaster, and tracks are already going up, confirming it is Vekoma.

I knew it was going to a European park but I forgot where so I kept my mouth shut from looking like an idiot. lol
Also, I meant to say the one in the pictures is HORIZONTAL loading and the one at EPCOT is VERTICAL loading. That what I get for typing when Im tired.

MrRC

Mega Poster
It's most likely for F.L.Y. at Phantasialand and we are discussing that for a while now in the F.L.Y. thread :D
Phantasialand has confirmed a launched flying coaster, and tracks are already going up, confirming it is Vekoma.

They never confirmed the builder is Vekoma.

Ireeb

Mega Poster
They never confirmed the builder is Vekoma.
They never did, but the track shape gave it away. The track confirms it, not Phantasialand. That's why I have put it in two separate parts of the sentence. Also, people from Vekoma have been spotted in the park around the time when the first tracks and supports were constructed.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
They never did, but the track shape gave it away. The track confirms it, not Phantasialand. That's why I have put it in two separate parts of the sentence. Also, people from Vekoma have been spotted in the park around the time when the first tracks and supports were constructed.

Siding with Ben here. In theory, it could be one of the Chinese knock-off manufacturers, and the Vekoma people are only there to investigate possible copyright infringement. That would be a very unexpected twist, at least...

MrRC

Mega Poster
Any proof of that with a picture of the people or any Vekoma compagny car(s) ?

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
I doubt there is because it would be a bit rude and an invasion of privacy to photograph staff.
Why is this being debated? We know the Vekoma Prototype is for Phantasialand. There's absolutely no doubt about it.
End of discussion, no?

Despite the mountain of evidence if you want more: I went to Vlodrop to see the test set up from the road back on 31st July. While I was there two lorries where sitting there waiting to be loaded/or had just been loaded.
The next day - the first the first bits of track were installed - I saw those exact lorries at the park. Hardly a massive coincidence...

Ireeb

Mega Poster
I have nothing against Vekoma, i'm watching this project since June 2016, i do visit the Vekoma Factory every 3 days.

I'm the author of many video's , running tests, test seats.

http://vekoma.webklik.nl/page/vekoma-nieuws
That was directed towards the people saying it could be a chinese manufacturer or something like that. It's just uncool to attack a statement when you don't even believe in your own arguments.

But as I said, I didn't mean you. Your updates are really interesting!

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
21151687_10209804590381219_2583191841939540670_n.jpg

Chris Theis, Executive Assistant in Phantasialand, has posted this picture on his public Facebook and Instagram pages with the caption 'Sky is the limit'.
One of Phantasialand's marketing managers commented "We're flying hiiiiigh, we're flying high up to the sky".
In the past year Chris has done a lot of behind the scenes videos for the park.
He did the opening date announcement video for Klugheim.
And in the run up to the last Winter season he did a daily behind the scenes series.

When Rookburgh was first announced the park said to keep an eye on the online park magazine for updates - just like the articles and videos they did during Klugheim's construction. As we haven't seen any official construction updates from the park yet people have been speculating when they'd start up.

Back to the picture then, it could of course simply be the park are filming with a helicopter aerial views of the park for promotional mateial, or they've started filming stuff for F.L.Y. (of course doesn't mean we'll see it any time soon but I live in hope).

nadroJ

CF Legend
Extremely cryptic - could just be a reference to the coaster type, could be a reference to general theme? I quite like the Steampunk vision of the future focussed on flight which is what I think we're seeing here. Very strange and cryptic way of putting it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lofty

CF Legend
Chris is fab. It's really interesting that they've posted this, though. I'm intrigued as to what the secondary (if there is in fact one) attraction will be for Rookburgh - could we see some form of flying theatre for instance?

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Before Fly was announced, I remember there being rumours floating around that the headline new attraction for Rookburgh was going to be a flying theatre, so I guess that's a possibility. Certainly think that they need a secondary attraction which is quite accessible to all though - the family market will need something else new for the interim when scrap Hollywood Tours.

ChrisCoaster

Roller Poster
Just a quick pictorial update on FLY and an interesting information: The concrete works are progressing slower than initially expected due to a lot of iron that had to be extracted and water that is constantly pressuring into the excavation, which is at the lowest point now.

Attachments

• FLY_01.jpg
    FLY_01.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 105
  • FLY_02.jpg
    FLY_02.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 105

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
There have been rumours of two family attractions in Rookburgh. I think there will definitely be at least one more attraction.

Something which a number of people on PhantaFriends.de have been hoping for, as a modern replacement for Race for Atlantis, is an Intamin Ultra Tower.
https://www.intaminworldwide.com/project/ultra-tower-2/
I can see why Phantasialand might be attracted to this system. It'd be a more exciting modern simulator for families and with 4d special effects and music it could be quite immersive.
It's a high capacity attraction (1,440 pph) on a small footprint and an unique/world's first attraction. Also it was apparently said when Maus au Chocolat opened that the park were fond of the system as it gave them the possibility to refresh/update the attraction easily by changing the graphics/films. Same would apply for a simulator of some kind.
However my only issue is be it Ultra Tower or Flying Theatre what would be the film be? Flying over world landmarks has been done to death. Perhaps the park have invested in a high quality specially made film of flying through Rookburgh/steampunk landscapes/buildings.
Again I'd like to clarify (I don't wish to start rumours) there is no evidence this will happen. It's merely speculation/wished for by some fans. *
For all we know they could simply be adding something like a rocking tug...

* Although funnily enough this was first suggested by a forum user in August 2016. A few posts later someone else suggested the prototype flyer Vekoma had started working on - only to be met with ridicule as there was no way PHL would be building another coaster so soon.....

Also it seems Chris' aerial photograph is from July. Back on 15th July it was reported on PhantaFriends.de that 2 helicopters were flying over the park a flew times and apparently hovered over the construction site quite a bit.
Odd he'd post it now. Are we expecting a video or is he just teasing us?

Last edited:

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Just a quick pictorial update on FLY and an interesting information: The concrete works are progressing slower than initially expected due to a lot of iron that had to be extracted and water that is constantly pressuring into the excavation, which is at the lowest point now.
Not surprised. They've encountered such problems with pretty much all of their projects due to the ground the park is on.
If I remember correctly it was really bad during the construction of Black Mamba - although the bigger issue there still was B&M incorrectly manufacturing a support for the loop (track wouldn't fit) causing a month and half delay as a new support had to be manufactured...

Although on another note photographs taken over the fence aren't allowed so don't be surprised if the Phantasialand overlords watching us ask for them to be removed. They're very strict about the photography rules.

ChrisCoaster

Roller Poster
Although on another note photographs taken over the fence aren't allowed so don't be surprised if the Phantasialand overlords watching us ask for them to be removed. They're very strict about the photography rules.

Actually, there is a tiny door on this side which was surprisingly wide open - so there was absolutely no need to do some illegal stuff...