What's new

New theme park for France

peep

CF Legend
Just broken ground in Monteux, France, is Park Spirou. Themed to a popular cartoon character (Spirou, new one on me) it'll open late 2015 with two rollercoasters.

The first rollercoaster will cost around €3-4 million whereas the second one will cost €5 million. Unless Google translate is having me on they have been quoted as saying that one of them will be "exclusive". Looks like one will be a wooden rollercoaster and the other will be a spinner. The park will open with another 25 attractions with an initial investment of €36 million.

12.03_01_0.jpg

capture_2014-01-18_a_22.05a.jpg

capture_2014-01-18_a_19.22a.jpg

They've already got an official website on the go with some more information on it's location etc.... http://www.parc-spirou.com/

BBH

Giga Poster
I found several articles on this, most of them are pretty easy to pick apart even without my limited knowledge of French. But it seems to me like there will be a woodie and a German-manufactured spinning coaster, most likely from Gerstlauer.

If they're aiming for a 2015 opening I wish them luck.

peep

CF Legend
platjes040215.jpg

Loopings.nl said:
The new French amusement park Parc Spirou, that should open next year, may be filled with standard attractions plucked straight out of a catalog. According to a recently published map. Almost all rides are provided by the German manufacturer Zierer.

Parc Spirou later includes a force coaster, an elevated seating coaster, a tower coaster and a rotating arm with rocking trays, the star shape. All attractions come from the stable of Zierer. The construction of the park, which is dominated by cartoon character Spirou, can at any time begin. Follow later expansions with themed areas around the heroes Marsupilami and Lucky Luke.

Source: Loopings.nl

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Sounds bland. Where's the edge to it?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Well, it seems like a decent "starting package". They probably got a bundle deal with Zierer, and with most attractions made by the same manufacturer, maintenance should be cheaper too. In the park's humble beginning, they can keep things simple, leaning heavily on Zierer for mechanical support until their personnel and management have gotten a good grasp on the routines. It seems like they have plans ready for future expansion of the park, and then I suppose we can expect rides by other manufacturers. But it will take a few years, you can't make a park go from "unploughed field" to "home of multiple B&Ms" in only a couple of years, despite what RCT says.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Yeah this seems a lot more realistic than the Calais park which is costing €175b.

Bland yeah, but more likely to happen.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Oh yeah, I think it will happen. I'm slightly underwhelmed but Poke is right; it's a ongoing project with a 10 year plan. I'm chuffed a new park is being built but unlike most new European parks in recent years, such as Cinceitta, Etnaland and Rainbow Magicland, there is no "wow" coaster. I hope I'm wrong.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Isn't the blue cred on the left with inversions and possibly the 'tower coaster' referenced? Similar to Wicked?

That would probably be their icon coaster...

Martyn B

CF Legend
If that's the case, then I'd say that's just as much of a 'wow' coaster as Shock and that Colossus clone.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Good decision, much prefer this to the Gerstlauer versions, better all round experience and Lap Bars :)

peep

CF Legend
ooo, that's an interesting choice. Might have to actually pop over to this park once it opens next year.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
If this project comes to fruition, I'm curious to see what Zierer is able to do nowadays. How Impulse @ Knoebels rides?

Little interview of the park's manager. Obviously in French but here's the main info:

- The park is scheduled for a June 1st 2018 opening. (Which, given it's France and the target is unreasonably ambitious, is very very unlikely to happen)
- There would be 15 rides for opening, plus animations, parades, etc.
- Targets 500,000 attendance (!) in the short run. For comparison purposes, Nigloland had 600,000 visitors in 2016, and Fraispertuis City 270,000 the same year. Most goons on French forums agree it's overly ambitious too.

On another note, Mr. Bulliard hilariously claims he works with the "best manufacturers on the planet" (1:16). So yeah, Zierer is now on the same level as B&M and Intamin!

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
How Impulse @ Knoebels rides

Here's the CF POV
I had the chance to ride it a few times it's opening year. I thought it was a pretty fun but of a most of the coaster people I know who have ridden it, didn't seem to care. But I think it had more to do with it not being the 'right fit' for the park in their mind ....versus the ride quality actually lacking.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I had the chance to ride it a few times it's opening year. I thought it was a pretty fun but of a most of the coaster people I know who have ridden it, didn't seem to care. But I think it had more to do with it not being the 'right fit' for the park in their mind ....versus the ride quality actually lacking.
Pretty bang on the money there. Sticks out like a sore thumb because of the park it's in but the ride itself is good, it had the largest queue when I went so obviously the GP like it. Plonk it in most other parks and it would be a winner, it's just doesn't match the rest of the park at all.