What's new

Alton Towers | Wicker Man | GCI Wood

Bert2theSpark

Mega Poster
Do you know this from your previous experience of building a Wicker Man? Have you not thought that it could in fact be sculpted out of metal and rendered brown? I'm not stating this is in fact the Wicker Man model that IS going in, but just not stating it isn't.
To be honest I'm not sure what it could be... I've only seen a Wicker-Darlek before... :D

Anyway here is a construction picture of SW8's theming structure.
19224895_1502493319821107_7684393538526847853_n.jpg

Credit TS Facebook.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Mmm... Steel framing... Lovely.

This is the bit I'm more interested in than any of the theming they'll stick on it afterwards.

Bert2theSpark

Mega Poster
When people first heard about SW8, many were let down but however recently things have been starting to go well, I mean this migt not be the largest coaster in the park but it will pack a punch (Hmm have we seen hat before...) the LSM lift will be interesting, the giant wickerman(which I'm prety sure it will be a wickerman after seeing the structure in person) will provide great headchoppers however one thing I'm stumped on though, Will this have a 'World's first' element, On one hand we have Merlin a company which always loves the newest gimmick on the market and then we have GCI which believe in just a great coaster with no gimmicks. There has been alot of speculation over some sort of 'World's First' element related to some sort of special effect(s) though, could end up being something like that!

Ok, rant over.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Nothing so far is giving me the wood, not the erection or anything. I think the Smiler/DBGT have ruined me.

scw55

Hyper Poster
Nothing so far is giving me the wood, not the erection or anything. I think the Smiler/DBGT have ruined me.
I find Planet Coaster ruins a lot of excitement for real life coasters.
As in, some of the stuff people make there make me weep for them to exist in real life.

Regarding SW8, I am interested in what it'll be. I'm fond of the sexy insanity hybrid woodies can offer, so, who knows what we'll get. One thing for sure, the SW's are always weird.

Last edited:

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
The lift hill changing angle part way up is going to be so visually irritating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spicy

Giga Poster
I suspect the launched lift hill will be like Battlestar Galactica at Universal Singapore. Nothing too fast but gives you a nice boost up the hill. That launch into an enclosed drop in the dark could be a real highlight.

GCI's don't particularly need any real height to generate some great speed anyway. If this keeps the relentless pace up like White Lightening we are onto a winner here.

peep

CF Legend
It looked weird in the planning application and it looks even weirder now it's under construction. I'm intrigued by its oddness but I have zero excitement for this ride (more excited about the giant wicker man being built).

elephant58

Hyper Poster
I honestly think that it's weirdness makes following this project exciting...so am I right in thinking that the lift hill actually has another small bend in it halfway up the main long section? If I am correct, then could that indicate some kind of bunny hop straight after a launch? Or am I making absolutely no sense?

Smithy

Strata Poster
Looks tiny too.

I'm intruiged rather than excited with this one. Got a feeling it might actually be a decent enough ride but won't "wow" the Gp enough and a lot of people will be wondering "what if".