What's new

Do you ride the non-coasters?

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
When I was a youth, I methodically hit every single ride that I wasn't too big to get on. No matter what the ride was, I felt the day wasn't quite complete unless I rode EVERYTHING.

Now that I'm older and have been to many parks, I don't bother with another scrambler or enterprise, and drop towers hold zero interest for me.

Aside from coasters, the only rides I tend to hit these days are interesting-looking dark rides, flumes and water rides, and maybe occasionally something else. But aside from that I'm hitting those coasters.

What rides other than coasters do you still ride regularly?

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Basically what you do, I'm primarily there for any coasters but do love a good flat/water/dark ride as well to go with to complete the day.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Basically what you do, I'm primarily there for any coasters but do love a good flat/water/dark ride as well to go with to complete the day.
Yeah, I do go on some flat rides. I was thinking after I posted my question, that really it's about uniqueness for me. If it's a generic clone flat ride, I'll probably skip it. If it's unique or has special theming, I may very well ride it.

balrog

Mega Poster
Same, except I have next to no interest for dark rides. Maybe I haven't been on a good one yet, or maybe I'm not sensible enough to suggestion.
Water rides are okay if they have something special or if I'm with family/friends. I don't go on too bland family coasters either.
Basically, if I walk out of a park with more than half the creds, then something unusual happened.

Edward M

Strata Poster
I mean, it all depends on what people think the highlights of the park are. In Disney parks, the dark rides matter waayyy more than the roller coasters for me. I would rather miss all the coasters in the park than miss one of the best dark rides out there. Flat rides are something I ride if I have more time though I don't bother with any flat ride I've already tried (unless I loved it). I love drop towers, but I often find myself unable to do them since the coasters are just more important. I've tried to keep a tradition of riding the log flume at every park I've been to, but, on rushed trips, that is out the window in favor of another credit. It all just depends really.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
I love all kinds of rides so I ride anything that looks even remotely interesting. Coasters, flats, dark rides, water rides, walkthroughs. I love them all.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
^ Riding walkthroughs sounds like fun.

Dark rides are a must.
Water rides that only exist for the sake of getting wet are a skip.
Done enough flats to know what sort I like and don't like, so not many of those get ridden any more. Drop towers are the most favoured.
Observation Towers/Ferris Wheels for pictures and a sit down.
Most things that are interesting/unique will get a look in, but depends on time/budget constraints at the park in question.

TilenB

Strata Poster
I love all kinds of rides so I ride anything that looks even remotely interesting. Coasters, flats, dark rides, water rides, walkthroughs. I love them all.

I agree. It also depends on how crowded the park is and how much time I have to play with. But yeah, I mostly ride everything, got to get my money worth ;)

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I always make sure to do the dark rides at a park because they often give you a flavour of the country that you are in and I find that quite fascinating. Plus, I love a good story.
Not a fan of drop towers or star flyers because of the height but I don't mind a good spin and spew, especially after lunch - that sorts out the delicate of stomach XD
Generic flats I'll ride sometimes. Usually try and do a star shape or top scan if there's one and I'll ride anything that looks interesting or unique. Don't give a fudge about shows.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
I'm mainly a sucker for coasters and do not highly tolerate water rides, but I'll ride most non-coaster attractions with some interesting theming, atmosphere or thrills!

Going to Phantasialand and missing on Chiapas, Mystery Castle or even Talocan would be unfortunate for example. But a generic Pirate Boat is not worth the time imo.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Riding walkthroughs sounds like fun.

Dark rides are a must.
Water rides that only exist for the sake of getting wet are a skip.
Done enough flats to know what sort I like and don't like, so not many of those get ridden any more. Drop towers are the most favoured.
Observation Towers/Ferris Wheels for pictures and a sit down.
Most things that are interesting/unique will get a look in, but depends on time/budget constraints at the park in question.

This for me as well. I'll do shows as well, often as a break more than anything, but some of the ones in the bigger Chinese parks these days are really impressive and well worth doing anyway.

mouse

Giga Poster
For me a good day at theme park consists of much more than just riding coasters, I like to experience as much as possible. I like a mix of coasters, flats, dark rides, water rides, some greasy food etc. I don't mind missing 1 or 2 coasters, as long as I feel I have had a successful and varied day and have experienced the park sufficiently. The only thing I'll intentionally avoid are shows, generally I find them a bit boring.

It depends what it is. I don't love spinny rides anymore (coming from the girl who use to ride the Enterprise about ten times in a row during any park visit), but if there are any major flat rides or drop towers then I'll usually do them if there isn't a massive line. I love rapid rides as well so I try to do those when I can as long as the weather is warm, because I'm a pusssay when it comes to cold water.

I loooove a good dark ride, so I will always make it a point to ride those, and the air conditioning inside the buildings is a nice bonus in the summer heat.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
It heavily depends what park I'm at. If I'm at a smaller park, I'd make more of an effort to do a variety of stuff to fill the day out. At larger parks, I just stick to the coasters almost entirely. At special parks (Disney/Phantasialand/Efteling etc) where for me a lot of the highlights are not coasters, I will end up doing a diverse range of rides including walkthroughs and shows.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
This may sound a little obvious, but generally I try to ride/see all the good stuff. Y'know, the BIG stuff, be they creds, flats, darks, waters or shows. Probably in that order of priority.
I'll take a good flat over a crappy cred any day.
Likewise, I'd take a good dark ride over a crappy flat, and a good water over a crappy dark, etc etc...

Mack

Mega Poster
from an op's perspective (one that is very enthusiastic) i prefer operating flat rides because that's where the experience actually semi-depends on me (or musik express where the experience is totally dependent on me). roller coasters y'all leave and i don't see you until you come back, ahaha.

that's said, usually it depends how many roller coasters there are when i'm a guest...... at like, SFMM or CP there's too much to really spend much time on flat rides, but smaller parks, flat rides can be pretty fun. wave swingers always love. i find them relaxing.

Last edited:

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
my usual order is something like:
Good coasters
Good dark rides
ok coasters
maybe a good flat if there is one
ok and crap dark rides
another reasonable flat
crap coasters
being dragged by wild horses
big apples/go gators etc.

or if it's a big park , just go round in order.

water rides might interrupt the good coasters and good dark rides

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
my usual order is something like:
Good coasters
Good dark rides
ok coasters
maybe a good flat if there is one
ok and crap dark rides
another reasonable flat
crap coasters
being dragged by wild horses
big apples/go gators etc.

or if it's a big park , just go round in order.

water rides might interrupt the good coasters and good dark rides
I dunno. I hear the Wild Horse Drag at Phantasialand has some serious ejector time. And of course the theming is excellent.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
If the non-coasters are notable, then yes. Otherwise, generally not. I don't usually bother with a lot of the generic flat rides (carousel, chair swing, enterprise), and I generally avoid the larger "spin and spew" type flats as they're not really my cup of tea (although I will make the odd exception).

I do enjoy dark rides, will ride drop towers and some water rides (although not a fan of getting soaked just for the sake of it). Most places, it's a case of get the creds, then the more notable other attractions, then call it a day.