What's new

Rank the RMCs

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
@Swoosh Ah gotcha. Those off-axis airtime hills are taken slower for sure after the corkscrew, but I've come to rather enjoy the slower RMC off-axis vs. taking it at a higher speed. Or at least, they were taken at a higher speed than Iron Rattler's :p . It's fun having the lateral g-forces peppered in with vertical airtime.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I think it's only after the small double down before the final helix that Storm Chaser feels like it's slowing down too much. I remember the hills after the final inversion having some great forces.

Swoosh

Mega Poster
@Swoosh Ah gotcha. Those off-axis airtime hills are taken slower for sure after the corkscrew, but I've come to rather enjoy the slower RMC off-axis vs. taking it at a higher speed. Or at least, they were taken at a higher speed than Iron Rattler's :p . It's fun having the lateral g-forces peppered in with vertical airtime.

Have to remember I'm spoiled. I have Outlaw Run in my backyard and get to take it for a spin about once a month. Few coasters are as intense and fast as OR. That coaster doesn't slow down until the very end - and even then it still has speed going into the final brakes.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I actually felt Outlaw Run slowed down too much after that final hill. It really just dragged into the brakes. It's the main reason I rank Goliath higher. Goliath just powerhouses through the entire course without letting up. You still manage to get some good air going into the brake run.

Swoosh

Mega Poster
I actually felt Outlaw Run slowed down too much after that final hill. It really just dragged into the brakes. It's the main reason I rank Goliath higher. Goliath just powerhouses through the entire course without letting up. You still manage to get some good air going into the brake run.

When was the last time you rode them? Outlaw Run has different wheels this year and is running faster. It doesn't slow down until the final corkscrew (as has always been the case).

Goliath tries to hard. The pacing is horrible. It doesn't allow you to process an element before slamming you into the next. I rank it lower because it pales in air time compared to OR. The wave turn on OR should be THE reason OR is the top RMC in the states. Lateral G airtime? FTW

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
I last rode OR back in 2014, so that's probably why. If it got new wheels, I'd love to try them out!

I actually think there's a lot of 'hidden' airtime moments in the ride. The overbanks especially. Most wouldn't think they'd give any, but you do come up out of your seat. But each to their own, I guess.

Swoosh

Mega Poster
Should. But it's not, cos Lightning Rod has a better wave turn. ;)

And the quad-down...
Ah... but you need a crystal ball to predict if you'll get a ride on Outlaw Run like Lightning Rod. LR is a fun ride, I'll give you that. We'll see if it's still standing after the litigation against RMC concludes.

To all the people saying Storm Chaser slows down at the end... Ride it this year, now that the wheels have been changed a second time. It absolutely does not slow down and it flies into the brakes now! Watch a 2017 POV; the difference is astonishing.

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
Just got a new RMC cred today-
1. Outlaw Run
2. Iron Rattler
3. Wicked Cyclone
4. Goliath
5. New Texas Giant
6. Storm Chaser

Wicked Cyclone was absolutely incredible. What a fantastic ride, it seemed with every ride, it jumped a spot in my rankings. The airtime was insanity, those outward banked hills were bliss. Thank you RMC for doing what you do, please keep it up. I was so torn between this and Iron Rattler, but decided the drop on Rattler and quarry dive are just too good. If you look at my top 10, my top 3 RMCs are all right together, so it is very, very close as far as ranking them goes.

Swoosh

Mega Poster
To all the people saying Storm Chaser slows down at the end... Ride it this year, now that the wheels have been changed a second time. It absolutely does not slow down and it flies into the brakes now! Watch a 2017 POV; the difference is astonishing.
That would require going to Louisville. No thanks.

Imagineer Josh

Mega Poster
I know I haven't been updating my trip reports, but I've been busy as hell. Sorry about that.

1. Lightning Rod
2. Twisted Colossus
3. Storm Chaser
4. Goliath

I know people here will beat me up for having TC above SC, but TC just has so much more airtime, despite being not nearly as intense. And yes, Lightning Rod is still my favorite RMC. By a long shot.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Wicked Cyclone was absolutely incredible. What a fantastic ride, it seemed with every ride, it jumped a spot in my rankings. The airtime was insanity, those outward banked hills were bliss. Thank you RMC for doing what you do, please keep it up. I was so torn between this and Iron Rattler, but decided the drop on Rattler and quarry dive are just too good. If you look at my top 10, my top 3 RMCs are all right together, so it is very, very close as far as ranking them goes.
This makes me happy, a lot of people have said it's running worse but this has restored my faith.

Ben

CF Legend
You all definitely need to go and re-ride Storm Chaser with the new wheels if you think them last hills are 'slowing down'.

Those four hills in a row are the strongest pops I've ever felt, bar only Dodonpa's top hat (RIP sweet prince). It absolutely tears through them, and slams in to the breaks.

Storm Chaser is literally so ****ing good. Best RMC of my life.

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
You all definitely need to go and re-ride Storm Chaser with the new wheels if you think them last hills are 'slowing down'.

Those four hills in a row are the strongest pops I've ever felt, bar only Dodonpa's top hat (RIP sweet prince). It absolutely tears through them, and slams in to the breaks.

Storm Chaser is literally so :emoji_zipper_mouth:ing good. Best RMC of my life.
Yeah I want to reride it so badly, I rode it in 2016 with the old wheels. Plus I only got two rides, where as all of the other RMCs I've done I've ridden all at least 8 times and "analyzed" a bit more.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I did it last year and still thought those 4 final bunny hills were strong. I didn't realize it received new wheels, so that's cool to hear that it's running much faster.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
From my ridden (and having just added lightning rod)
Outlaw Run, Wicked Cyclone, Lightning Rod, and then New Texas Giant..
Lightning may be better than Cyclone but I only got two rides and neither of them were at night. So the jury is still out. And hopefully in a few days I will ride Storm Chaser at Kentucky Kingdom and I'm looking forward to it.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
1. Wildfire - Although it loses pace a bit at the end, I do think this is the most forceful RMC I've done. Also, quite a few brilliant elements, especially at the start (the zero g stall cannot be emphasised enough <3)
2. Iron Rattler - The most surprising one, as I always thought it looked like the weakest. An amazing first drop, and a pretty cool layout jumping on and off the cliff. Had some great night rides on this one <3
3. Outlaw Run - Definitely the best-paced RMC, and its funky overbanks underneath the lifthill and after are awesome. Maybe a tad low on airtime though compared to the others?
4. Wicked Cyclone - I think I usually prefer the bigger, swooping RMCs, rather than the tightly twisted ones, but this one was fast and full of airtime pops. Its pacing is also impressive considering its size and length.
5. Goliath - I like this one because it's a bit different to the others in the execution of some of its elements. Probably has my fave RMC airtime hill too. Cheats a bit by ending so quickly though.
6. Joker - I found this to be similar to WC but perhaps with an inferior layout? I'm not sure, but it just didn't seem to flow as well or feel very special. Still, it was very good!
7. Twisted Colossus - I loved the blue track (first half), but the slowness of the second lift really does take the edge off. Also, the green section wasn't as good (bar the zero g stall), so it didn't end on as much of a high.
8. New Texas Giant - I feel bad putting this one last because I did have some great rides late in the day. However, I can't shake the memory of the comparably mediocre rides in the morning.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Ok, back from Storm Chaser.... My ridden RMC's would go something like this.
1 Outlaw Run (based off 2 rides)
2 Storm Chaser (based off 6 rides)
3 Wicked Cyclone (based off 2 rides)
4 Lightning Rod (based off 2 rides)
5 New Texas Giant (based off 3 rides)
And I should be riding Twisted Colossus in the fall when I'm in California

For the not ridden, I guess it would go like...
Wildfire, Joker, Medusa, Colossus, Rattler, Goliath