3. Phantasialand (Germany)
4. Liseberg (Sweden)
5. Alton Towers (England)
6. PortAventura (Spain)
7. Europa Park (Germany)
8. Tripsdrill (Germany)
9. PowerPark (Finland)
10. Toverland (Netherlands)

11. Chessington: World of Adventures (England)
12. Nigloland (France)
13. Holiday Park (Germany)
14. Blackpool Pleasure Beach (England)
15. Linnanmäki (Finland)
16. Plopsaland De Panne (Belgium)
17. Walibi Holland (Netherlands)
18. Wiener Prater (Austria)
19. Thorpe Park (England)
20. Särkänniemi (Finland)

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Ian and I discussed starting a Top 10 Theme/Amusement Park topic during our recent trip through Southwest America, so here it is. Whether you judge a park strictly by its coasters/rides, atmosphere, operations or a combination of the three is up to you. Here's my list, what's yours?

1. Universal Studios parks in Orlando (yes, I count both parks as one)
2. Busch Gardens Williamsburg
3. Phantasialand
4. Alton Towers
5. Silver Dollar City
6. Europa Park
7. Dollywood
8. Six Flags Magic Mountain
9. Hersheypark
10. Canada's Wonderland
--
11. Tivoli Gardens
12. Cedar Point
13. Busch Gardens Tampa
14. Six Flags Fiesta Texas
15. Knoebels
16. Heide Park
17. Morey's Piers
18. SeaWorld Orlando
19. Xetulul
20. Oktoberfest (not a park, but I enjoy it almost as much as any park I've visited)
OK, responding to a four-year-old post here, but even if your current list would be quite different, I'm intrigued that Morey's Piers was your number 17 park, especially as your coaster count is astronomical (and I have to assume it was already extremely high four years ago). So what makes Morey's Piers a rival to the greatest parks in the world for you?

I live in the same town as you, I think, but I've yet to make it over to MP. Maybe I need to change that this summer.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I need to rewrite that list, but if you look at my top coasters you'll see that I have a strange way of ranking things that nobody else seems to do.
I always try to rank things like my favorite coasters, parks, movies, videos games, etc. by categories (for a lack of a better word) rather than by lumping them all together. For example, I have my favorites movies and my favorite from a certain genre are higher in my overall list because it's the best of it's kind, even though I might like the 4th or 5th in a different genre better.
So Morey's is my favorite seaside park and I've put it in my top 20 simply because of that, even though there are other parks that I might like a bit more (if that makes any sense). Others might disagree and say Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk is a better seaside park, and while the atmosphere at SCBB might be a bit better, I think the ride selection and sheer size of Morey's makes it my favorite.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I need to rewrite that list, but if you look at my top coasters you'll see that I have a strange way of ranking things that nobody else seems to do.
I always try to rank things like my favorite coasters, parks, movies, videos games, etc. by categories (for a lack of a better word) rather than by lumping them all together. For example, I have my favorites movies and my favorite from a certain genre are higher in my overall list because it's the best of it's kind, even though I might like the 4th or 5th in a different genre better.
So Morey's is my favorite seaide park and I've put it in my top 20 simply because of that, even though there are other parks that I might like a bit more (if that makes any sense). Others might disagree and say Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk is a better seaside park, and while the atmosphere at SCBB might be a bit better, I think the ride selection and sheer size of Morey's makes it my favorite.
Thanks for the explanation. Yes, I've known people who make favorite films list the way you do.

Still, makes me think I really need to get over to the Jersey Shore at some point this summer.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for the explanation. Yes, I've known people who make favorite films list the way you do.

Still, makes me think I really need to get over to the Jersey Shore at some point this summer.
I'm heading back down just to ride the new Great Nor'Easter, which has had all the track replaced and has new trains. Something that hasn't been discussed in the Forums at all.

SingleRiderReak

Roller Poster
1- Disneyland
2- Epcot
3- Dollywood
4- Universal's Islands of Adventure
5- Busch Gardens Tampa
6- Magic Kingdom
7- Disney's Animal Kingdom
8- Disney California Adventure
9- SeaWorld Orlando
10- Knott's Berry Farm

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I have a nailed on top 5...

1: Phantasialand
2: Dollywood
3: Hersheypark
4: Liseberg
5: Universal Orlando Resort

but the rest could change, honestly couldn't rank them

Djurs Sommerland
Busch Gardens Tampa
Six Flags Great Adventure
Cedar Point
Europa Park
Alton Towers
Heide Park

Edward M

Strata Poster
1. Tokyo Disneysea- Oh my gosh, just wow. This is, I believe, the pinnacle of theme parks. I just don't see anything being better (for me at least). Everything is amazingly themed. Every land is just beautiful and simply being in the park is an experience. Not to mention it has some of the best rides in the world.
2. Disneyland- This is probably the most charming park I've been to. It's great to explore, and I love how each corner has its own rich history. It also has built up likely the best ride collection out there with both old classics and modern thrill rides. After Star Wars Land opens, I imagine the park will be even more impressive. I can't wait.
3. Magic Kingdom- This and Tokyo Disneyland really are neck and neck, and I keep going back and forth between the two. However, I think Magic Kingdom has more character to it even if the rides are very weak by comparison to TDL. This park is the one I grew up with, and it never fails to fill my heart with joy. It is very outdated in places, but that nostalgia and grandiosity it has to me make up for that.
4. Tokyo Disneyland- Tokyo Disneyland is an amazing park. It has incredible theming and some of the best Disney rides ever made. It has some glaring problems though. Their Tomorrowland is simply awful I believe. Nothing to it but expansive walkways and a few buildings. Each land has some very dead spots with bland pavement pretty much everywhere. However, most of the park is really wonderful. The left side of the park is all wonderful and flows extremely well. Adventureland is one of Disney's best lands I believe. Fantasyland also works rather well. It has a much brighter look to it than all the others. It's just missing something I can't put my finger on. I should love it more than I do really. However, it is still an incredible park and, as you can see, one of my favorites out there.
5. Islands of Adventure- I feel that this is the Disneysea of Universal's lineup. It does feel a bit "cardboard cutout" and VERY "plasticy" in places (Marvel, Toon Lagoon, Suess). However, it makes up for those faults with a fantastic ride collection, some amazing theming, and a whole lot of charm (and puns). I'm not a big fan of Studio themed park since they often feel very plain and bleh. I don't want to walk around soundstages; I want to walk around a **** volcano! Most of my qualms with Universal are very downplayed here (although I'm still wanting that screenless (good) dark ride). There's just something very pleasant about the park. It has such a large personality which its sister park really lacks.
6. EPCOT- Epcot needs help. It is still a damn pleasant park, but I really don't recommend any of my friends pay $100 to go to it. As a theming fanatic, World Showcase just overjoyed me, but Future World has gotten truly sad. All the rides are outdated, and it feeling less like the future with each passing year. Frozen isn't the solution; I think a full remake is due at this point (ala DCA). I used to love Epcot, and I still do. No trip is complete without a stroll through World Showcase. The park is beautiful, but it is just a shadow of its former self. I do hope the park will get some love soon because it has so much potential.
7. Animal Kingdom- Animal Kingdom is the second best themed park of Disney's I've been to (behind TDS). Walking from the entrance to the Tree of Life is a breathtaking experience, and, other than the **** train wreck that is Dinoland USA, the rest of the park is just as impressive. However, it has always had a ride problem. The problem being there have never really been many. It appears, however, that Avatar Land has fixed almost all the problems I used to have with the park. I can't wait to visit it myself. I imagine the park will be at least #5 and maybe even #3 after I can visit Avatar Land and see their night shows. It just seems like that was all that was missing for the park. It just needed rides, an extra land, and to become a full day park. Can't wait to visit!
8. Disney California Adventure- CA Adv is a great park. Cars Land is one of the best lands ever made, and Radiator Springs Racers is one of the best rides ever made. Golden State is gorgeous. Beuna Vista Street is a fantastic opening. Paradise Pier is dated but still a nice place to be. Hollywood Land is a wreck but will hopefully be demolished soon for Marvel Land. So, why is #8 then? Well, it has some great parts, but the whole feels a bit disjointed. I can't put my finger on it, but it just seems all over the place at times. It's likely because it was once an awful park that has been transformed. That awful park is still lurking there in places (mainly Hollywood Land and Paradise Pier), and it still needs work. Luckily, it seems that work is being done. Hopefully, the park can soon be even better.
9. Silver Dollar City- The first seasonal park on the list and a darn good one. It's so charming and has a great ride collection. I just love being there.
10. Cedar Point- This one is all nostalgia since my visit here is what turned me into an enthusiast. However, I just loved my visit so much that it deserves a place on this list.

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
1) Cedar Point - Pros: amazing atmosphere, so many incredible coasters, including my number one (Mav), ten (MF), and eleven (TTD), best flat ride collection of any park I've been to (Skyhawk, MaxAir, Power Tower), morning ERT, location on peninsula, various places to stay on the peninsula make the experience much better
Cons: almost too big, distance between rides limits the time spent actually riding, normally very busy
2) Lake Compounce - Pros: fantastic atmosphere, possibly the most fun coaster I've ever been on (Boulder Dash), the park is normally dead so I can always get a very high ride count whenever I visit, great flat ride collection, beautiful landscaping and locations with lake and mountainside, solid coaster collection (BD, Phobia, and Wildcat), all rides are close together
3) Hersheypark - Pros: phenomenal collection of coasters with great top two (Skyrush and Storm Runner), Hershey's Chocolate World, beautiful landscaping especially by Skyrush, Great Bear, and Storm Runner
Cons: hardly any flat rides, annoying weather policy
4) Knoebels - Pros: very friendly park, ability to pay per ride, great coaster collection (Phoenix, Impulse, Twister), great flat ride collection, park museum
Cons: pricey all day pass
5) Six Flags New England - Pros: Best duo on Earth currently, my number three (STR) and five (WC), good unique flat rides (Buzz Saw, NESS), good coaster lineup
Cons: Assigned seating on some rides, some missing pieces in coaster lineup (no launch coaster and no good wooden coaster), too many bad/painful coasters (Mind Eraser, Flashback, Goliath)
6) Six Flags Great Adventure - Pros: great coaster lineup (Toro, Nitro, Ka)
Cons: many coasters in the park are overrated (Toro, Bizarro, Nitro, Joker, Green Lantern), horrendous park set up, similar problem to Cedar Point (extremely far from Ka to Toro to Nitro), not many great flat rides
7) Canobie Lake Park - Pros: good atmosphere, many flat rides
Cons: weak coaster collection
8) Sea World San Antonio (both Steel Eel and Great White were closed) - Sea life is fun to watch, decent coasters, Wave Breaker will help coaster lineup a ton
Cons: Ride closures (not sure if it is a normal problem, but hindered my opinion of the park), very few rides (no flat rides)

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
1) Cedar Point - Pros: amazing atmosphere, so many incredible coasters, including my number one (Mav), ten (MF), and eleven (TTD), best flat ride collection of any park I've been to (Skyhawk, MaxAir, Power Tower), morning ERT, location on peninsula, various places to stay on the peninsula make the experience much better
Cons: almost too big, distance between rides limits the time spent actually riding, normally very busy
2) Lake Compounce - Pros: fantastic atmosphere, possibly the most fun coaster I've ever been on (Boulder Dash), the park is normally dead so I can always get a very high ride count whenever I visit, great flat ride collection, beautiful landscaping and locations with lake and mountainside, solid coaster collection (BD, Phobia, and Wildcat), all rides are close together
3) Hersheypark - Pros: phenomenal collection of coasters with great top two (Skyrush and Storm Runner), Hershey's Chocolate World, beautiful landscaping especially by Skyrush, Great Bear, and Storm Runner
Cons: hardly any flat rides, annoying weather policy
4) Knoebels - Pros: very friendly park, ability to pay per ride, great coaster collection (Phoenix, Impulse, Twister), great flat ride collection, park museum
Cons: pricey all day pass
5) Six Flags New England - Pros: Best duo on Earth currently, my number three (STR) and five (WC), good unique flat rides (Buzz Saw, NESS), good coaster lineup
Cons: Assigned seating on some rides, some missing pieces in coaster lineup (no launch coaster and no good wooden coaster), too many bad/painful coasters (Mind Eraser, Flashback, Goliath)
6) Six Flags Great Adventure - Pros: great coaster lineup (Toro, Nitro, Ka)
Cons: many coasters in the park are overrated (Toro, Bizarro, Nitro, Joker, Green Lantern), horrendous park set up, similar problem to Cedar Point (extremely far from Ka to Toro to Nitro), not many great flat rides
7) Canobie Lake Park - Pros: good atmosphere, many flat rides
Cons: weak coaster collection
8) Sea World San Antonio (both Steel Eel and Great White were closed) - Sea life is fun to watch, decent coasters, Wave Breaker will help coaster lineup a ton
Cons: Ride closures (not sure if it is a normal problem, but hindered my opinion of the park), very few rides (no flat rides)
Interesting that you rank Compounce so extremely highly! I've heard that for Boulder Dash, of course, but never for the park. I'm hoping to make it there in a matter of weeks.

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
Interesting that you rank Compounce so extremely highly! I've heard that for Boulder Dash, of course, but never for the park. I'm hoping to make it there in a matter of weeks.

I can't quite put a finger on exactly what it is, but I just love the atmosphere. Right from the entrance into the park it puts you into another world. The entrance goes through a tunnel and you exit to be greeted by Wildcat directly in front of you with Phobia in the background. You can't even see the sky until you are completely out of the tunnel because of the massive mountainside behind the park, which creates a beautiful, lush green backdrop for the park (or red, orange, and yellow in the fall). The park itself is normally pretty dead which allows for huge coaster marathons, and sometimes the ability to keep riding again without ever getting off (I was able to ride BD 11 times in a row without even moving from my seat). As for BD, it is just a work of art, and obviously the centerpiece of the park. The laterals and airtime are fantastic and the terrain interaction puts it on a tier that few other coasters reach in my opinion (especially at night). Phobia and Wildcat are both underrated in my opinion as well. There's no shortage of flat rides with Revolution, Thunder 'n' Lightning, a pirate ship, S&S drop tower, and many more. Not a huge park, but it doesn't have to be. It's all about the atmosphere that the park creates. Have fun on your trip to Lake Compounce!

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
I can't quite put a finger on exactly what it is, but I just love the atmosphere. Right from the entrance into the park it puts you into another world. The entrance goes through a tunnel and you exit to be greeted by Wildcat directly in front of you with Phobia in the background. You can't even see the sky until you are completely out of the tunnel because of the massive mountainside behind the park, which creates a beautiful, lush green backdrop for the park (or red, orange, and yellow in the fall). The park itself is normally pretty dead which allows for huge coaster marathons, and sometimes the ability to keep riding again without ever getting off (I was able to ride BD 11 times in a row without even moving from my seat). As for BD, it is just a work of art, and obviously the centerpiece of the park. The laterals and airtime are fantastic and the terrain interaction puts it on a tier that few other coasters reach in my opinion (especially at night). Phobia and Wildcat are both underrated in my opinion as well. There's no shortage of flat rides with Revolution, Thunder 'n' Lightning, a pirate ship, S&S drop tower, and many more. Not a huge park, but it doesn't have to be. It's all about the atmosphere that the park creates. Have fun on your trip to Lake Compounce!
Wow. Thanks for the vivid description. And eleven rides in a row on one of the best coasters in the country really is astounding to me.

I think part of what makes you love that park may be its history. It wasn't an amusement park first that needed a plot of land. It was a scenic lakeside destination first, for picnics and vacations. The amusement park grew slowly and organically out of this environment, and it has had a long time to settle in, retaining much of its Victorian-era charm -- especially as it is the oldest operating amusement park in the country.

Edward M

Strata Poster
1. Tokyo Disneysea- Oh my gosh, just wow. This is, I believe, the pinnacle of theme parks. I just don't see anything being better (for me at least). Everything is amazingly themed. Every land is just beautiful and simply being in the park is an experience. Not to mention it has some of the best rides in the world.
2. Disneyland- This is probably the most charming park I've been to. It's great to explore, and I love how each corner has its own rich history. It also has built up likely the best ride collection out there with both old classics and modern thrill rides. After Star Wars Land opens, I imagine the park will be even more impressive. I can't wait.
3. Magic Kingdom- This and Tokyo Disneyland really are neck and neck, and I keep going back and forth between the two. However, I think Magic Kingdom has more character to it even if the rides are very weak by comparison to TDL. This park is the one I grew up with, and it never fails to fill my heart with joy. It is very outdated in places, but that nostalgia and grandiosity it has to me make up for that.
4. Tokyo Disneyland- Tokyo Disneyland is an amazing park. It has incredible theming and some of the best Disney rides ever made. It has some glaring problems though. Their Tomorrowland is simply awful I believe. Nothing to it but expansive walkways and a few buildings. Each land has some very dead spots with bland pavement pretty much everywhere. However, most of the park is really wonderful. The left side of the park is all wonderful and flows extremely well. Adventureland is one of Disney's best lands I believe. Fantasyland also works rather well. It has a much brighter look to it than all the others. It's just missing something I can't put my finger on. I should love it more than I do really. However, it is still an incredible park and, as you can see, one of my favorites out there.
5. Islands of Adventure- I feel that this is the Disneysea of Universal's lineup. It does feel a bit "cardboard cutout" and VERY "plasticy" in places (Marvel, Toon Lagoon, Suess). However, it makes up for those faults with a fantastic ride collection, some amazing theming, and a whole lot of charm (and puns). I'm not a big fan of Studio themed park since they often feel very plain and bleh. I don't want to walk around soundstages; I want to walk around a :emoji_zipper_mouth: volcano! Most of my qualms with Universal are very downplayed here (although I'm still wanting that screenless (good) dark ride). There's just something very pleasant about the park. It has such a large personality which its sister park really lacks.
6. EPCOT- Epcot needs help. It is still a damn pleasant park, but I really don't recommend any of my friends pay $100 to go to it. As a theming fanatic, World Showcase just overjoyed me, but Future World has gotten truly sad. All the rides are outdated, and it feeling less like the future with each passing year. Frozen isn't the solution; I think a full remake is due at this point (ala DCA). I used to love Epcot, and I still do. No trip is complete without a stroll through World Showcase. The park is beautiful, but it is just a shadow of its former self. I do hope the park will get some love soon because it has so much potential.
7. Animal Kingdom- Animal Kingdom is the second best themed park of Disney's I've been to (behind TDS). Walking from the entrance to the Tree of Life is a breathtaking experience, and, other than the :emoji_zipper_mouth: train wreck that is Dinoland USA, the rest of the park is just as impressive. However, it has always had a ride problem. The problem being there have never really been many. It appears, however, that Avatar Land has fixed almost all the problems I used to have with the park. I can't wait to visit it myself. I imagine the park will be at least #5 and maybe even #3 after I can visit Avatar Land and see their night shows. It just seems like that was all that was missing for the park. It just needed rides, an extra land, and to become a full day park. Can't wait to visit!
8. Disney California Adventure- CA Adv is a great park. Cars Land is one of the best lands ever made, and Radiator Springs Racers is one of the best rides ever made. Golden State is gorgeous. Beuna Vista Street is a fantastic opening. Paradise Pier is dated but still a nice place to be. Hollywood Land is a wreck but will hopefully be demolished soon for Marvel Land. So, why is #8 then? Well, it has some great parts, but the whole feels a bit disjointed. I can't put my finger on it, but it just seems all over the place at times. It's likely because it was once an awful park that has been transformed. That awful park is still lurking there in places (mainly Hollywood Land and Paradise Pier), and it still needs work. Luckily, it seems that work is being done. Hopefully, the park can soon be even better.
9. Silver Dollar City- The first seasonal park on the list and a darn good one. It's so charming and has a great ride collection. I just love being there.
10. Cedar Point- This one is all nostalgia since my visit here is what turned me into an enthusiast. However, I just loved my visit so much that it deserves a place on this list.

I'll save you from describing those again. However, I will post about Disney World's parks as they have had a big year. Will go more in depth in my trip report, but Animal Kingdom is looking pretty amazing lately.

1. Tokyo Disneysea
2. Disneyland
3. Animal Kingdom
4. Magic Kingdom
5. Tokyo Disneyland
6. Islands of Adventure
7. Epcot
8. California Adventure
9. Silver Dollar City
10. Cedar Point

ThomVD

Giga Poster
1. Gröna Lund (Sweden)
2. Efteling (Netherlands)
3. Phantasialand (Germany)
4. Liseberg (Sweden)
5. Alton Towers (UK)
6. Europa Park (Germany)
7. Tivoli Gardens (Denmark)
8. PortAventura (Spain)
9. Tripsdrill (Germany)
10. Fårup Sommerland (Denmark)

11. PowerPark (Finland)
12. Chessington: World of Adventures (UK)
13. Djurs Sommerland (Denmark)
14. Toverland (Netherlands)
15. Nigloland (France)
16. Holiday Park (Germany)
17. Blackpool Pleasure Beach (England)
18. Linnanmäki (Finland)
19. Plopsaland De Panne (Belgium)
20. Walibi Holland (Netherlands)

Tivoli is breathtakingly beautiful and has an amazing atmosphere, especially at night. It does lack in the ride department, but there's still enough to entertain you for a full day. Daemonen and Rutschebanen are really fun and Vertigo is insane <3 I just adore these Scandinavian city parks and while the atmosphere, setting and ride selection isn't as special as in Gröna Lund, it's still one of the nicest parks in Europe.

Fårup Sommerland is like a little idyllic paradise hidden in the forest. Such a gem of a park <3 Lots of trees, lakes, hidden rides and many mist machines. Admittedly it lacks quantity of rides, which seems to be a trend in the country. However, Orkanen and Lynet are both very fun coasters. Possibly the most under-appreciated park I've ever visited.

Djurs Sommerland has the two best coasters in Denmark with Piraten and Juvelen. It's a nice park to be at with friendly staff and good operations. However, I felt that the place had no atmosphere whatsoever and was particularly empty and bland inbetween the main rides. Also, the SFC and the Gerst Bobsled are the worst of their types. It also lacked severely in rides outside of the coasters. A bit of a disappointment, but thanks to the AMAZING Piraten I still had a great day and some love for the park.

I also visited Bakken and Friheden which weren't particularly great, but nicer than I expected.