What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I'm loving this!
No matter what you think about the name or the logo (or even the ride concept for that matter), you've got to love the way Blackpool are going about this.
It's all so refreshingly... un-Merlin like.
Ride stats, layout reveals, construction updates, photographs, name announcements, merchandise etc...
It's all soooo much more fun than the cryptic 'Something is Coming' nonsense that we're used to in this country.
Just look at the activity in this thread compared to the activity in the SW8 thread. I think that alone speaks volumes.
Rock on, Blackpool. Yay for Icon!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
No matter what you think about the name or the logo (or even the ride concept for that matter), you've got to love the way Blackpool are going about this.
It's all so refreshingly... un-Merlin like.
Ride stats, layout reveals, construction updates, photographs, name announcements, merchandise etc...
It's all soooo much more fun than the cryptic 'Something is Coming' nonsense that we're used to in this country.
Just look at the activity in this thread compared to the activity in the SW8 thread. I think that alone speaks volumes.
Rock on, Blackpool. Yay for Icon!
I will agree with you there. This is really quite fun.

Although the cryptic Mean Streak conversion route is also working really well... but that's probably because the ride is actually interesting. ;)

Sandman

Giga Poster
Also interesting that they're still using the green animation from Mack - I would have thought they'd have an updated one after the proper announcement.

This was my initial thought upon their announcement. I thought they'd have some concept images drawn up and stuff to really bulk up the *big* announcement. It's just the same video with the addition of the new logo. Would like to see a bit more to whet the appetite. Still, this is all very enjoyable stuff considering this time 10 years ago we were looking at a relocated SLC.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I like the name, I hate the logo.

I agree with @Ian - the name is camp and Blackpooly.

The Japanese influence... Sure. Makes sense to me. Japanese-inspired gardens, koi ponds and pagodas are a very common, cheap-n-nasty-trying-to-be-fancy-exotic... Thing, that you find all around the UK, both in leisure spots like Alton Towers and Blackpool Pleasure Beach, as well as people's back gardens. That works perfect for Blackpool, the capitol of cheap-n-nasty-trying-to-be-fancy - they already have an oriental maze and koi swimming around under Infusion along with an obsession for water features. It's so obnoxious whilst being tranquil and abstract and... Not Japanese. And that's great, cuz it's Blackpool. It's like they couldn't help be so them and they're probably completely unaware of it.

But the logo? It looks... European? Like, Norse or Roman inspired? The stylised I looks great on the merchandise, but not... As part of the word logo? I don't get it? And that Kanji character just thrown in there makes it worse.

And "dare to ride" seems a bit at odds with the theme too. Weird.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Picture of a tunnel dug out for the both launches from Blackpool gazette:-

image.jpg

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/n...for-icon-ic-new-pleasure-beach-ride-1-8526936

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Not entirely sure I like the idea of both launches being enclosed, but it'll probably make the actual ride experience better.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Not entirely sure I like the idea of both launches being enclosed, but it'll probably make the actual ride experience better.

I don't think the whole launches are being enclosed, its just the second half of the first launch and the first half of the second launch that will be enclosed. The gift shop is supposedly going to be above the tunnels. I'm thinking they could possibly divide the trench to make it 2 tunnels, or leave both launch tracks next to each other... Its still technically 2 tunnels isn't it? :)

Temleh

Mega Poster
^ Technically it's one tunnel that the train passes through two times. ;)

Who knows, there might just be another yet-to-be-announced tunnel... :p ;)