What's new

The 'what ever happened to that concept' thread

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
While reading the internet I came across this old article from 2004 about Vekomas 'Pandoras box' concept, and i remember reading this article 13 years ago and the buzz around it at the time, and as far as I can find out... this ride was never actually built. Instead I think many parks went with the cheaper and less complex ABC drop rides, and the concept probably evolved into 'sourin' attractions and 'HPATFJ' style rides. It was also rumoured for a while that Symbolica was going to be this style of ride!

http://coastersandmore.de/rides/iaapa2004/iaapa1_e.shtml

Anyway my question is twofold, A..... whatever happened to Pandoras boxes? and B - what concepts can you think of that never really went anywhere....Another I can think of is the Pipeline coaster that Alton considered before Nemesis (that John Wardley deemed too slow/boring).

elephant58

Hyper Poster
I remember GCI coming up with a few which haven't been built. Like I think there was a Switchback-style shuttle and there was also a family coaster variant thing too.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I remember GCI coming up with a few which haven't been built. Like I think there was a Switchback-style shuttle and there was also a family coaster variant thing too.
The Switchback-style shuttle was successfully achieved by Gavity Gravity Group and Gravitykraft Corporation at ZDT's in Texas back in 2015:
https://rcdb.com/12392.htm

It's a reasonably rare cred on here, but @ECG has ridden it and, if I recall correctly, rather liked it!

EDIT: Thanks @Chris Brown ;)

Last edited:

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I've been trying to keep it quiet to avoid being harassed by goons, but it seems the secret's out.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Vekoma's Pandora Box is the main one for me. I really wish it would be built.

I could see Phantaisaland utilising this system due to their lack of space (work up instead of out) plus enclosed = no noise pollution.... - spite Temple of the night hawk + Hollywood tour for this!

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Wasn't Efteling meant to be the test park for the Pandora's Box concept? Even though the concept was developed 13 years ago, I wish someone would take it, update it and make it come true at a park that can make something this scale work (Europa Park, Efteling, Universal or Disney).

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
Wasn't Efteling meant to be the test park for the Pandora's Box concept? Even though the concept was developed 13 years ago, I wish someone would take it, update it and make it come true at a park that can make something this scale work (Europa Park, Efteling, Universal or Disney).

Yes I think there was talk of Symbolica being a Pandoras box ride at one point , also there was RUMOR of one going into Phantasialand - this was all before Taron etc!
I think the whole 'vertical dark ride' concept has a lot of milage to it beyond what ABCrides do!

TLARides

Hyper Poster
I've never heard of Vekoma's Pandora Box concept. Can someone explain?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
I've never heard of Vekoma's Pandora Box concept. Can someone explain?

Basically a drop tower (similar to the abc ones used in Dungeon attractions - but on a track i.e. the central pole is on a track - so the whole drop tower moves around! The seats could also tip forward and back and have some sort of motion control! The ride would have been a combo between a dark ride a drop ride and a simulator!

TLARides

Hyper Poster
Basically a drop tower (similar to the abc ones used in Dungeon attractions - but on a track i.e. the central pole is on a track - so the whole drop tower moves around! The seats could also tip forward and back and have some sort of motion control! The ride would have been a combo between a dark ride a drop ride and a simulator!
That sounds really cool.

IG9887

Roller Poster
Here is another concept I've seen before and yet to see realised - SFX coasters by dynamic attractions - basically a coaster mixed with a 4d and simulator attraction - with drop track elements - and a really interesting sidewards sliding element!

http://www.dynamicattractions.com/products/sfx-coaster/

If Im not mistaken Ferrari World is constructing one of these as we speak: https://rcdb.com/12575.htm
Sure its been in the works since 2015 for just construction and about a year or two behind but its still the concept being put to practice at a park, but I see why people think there isnt any coming (FWs been abnormally quite about this so...)

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
If Im not mistaken Ferrari World is constructing one of these as we speak: https://rcdb.com/12575.htm
Sure its been in the works since 2015 for just construction and about a year or two behind but its still the concept being put to practice at a park, but I see why people think there isnt any coming (FWs been abnormally quite about this so...)

Yeah - Its exciting ONE is coming - but it seems to be a long time coming - I imagine its crazily complex, expensive to design and maintain - but I can image this as the future of theme park rides!