What's new

Cedar Point | Steel Vengeance | RMC I-Box (Mean Streak Conversion)

Bryan Wagner

Roller Poster
Thanks Hyde. Even though I don't live there anymore this thing is looking amazing. I rode old mean streak in 91 now I just gotta make sure I don't miss the first year on this one. Haven't missed a new coaster at the Point since.

davidm

Strata Poster
OK, so while I am pretty interested in this thing - Mean Streak was a big huge structure, prime for some serious RMC-ing for sure - and it is starting to take shape quite pleasantly - I don't really get the OMG!!! WOW!!!! BEST THING EVAAAAAH!!!!! stuff that is going on here. Is that just me?

All we can see so far is a reasonable first drop, speed hill and an outward-banked second hill - nice enough for sure, but far from the second coming that seems to be the prevalent theme?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it'll turn out to be a pretty cool ride (indeed, tentative plans for a 2018 trip to these parts are forming in my mind) - but theres nothing (so far) that we haven't seen before on other conversions (think of the OMG HYPE when Iron Ratter's drop was being built for example?). Is this just the CP-fanboy mentality that I'm commenting on perhaps?
</flame suit on>

Bryan Wagner

Roller Poster
I'm excited because while I live in Florida and can ride a bunch of coasters Cedar Point has been and always will be my park. I haven't gotten the opportunity to ride one of these conversions yet and I am excited that this is happening because while the first time I rode Mean Streak was ok that space has been wasted for years. I was all for just tearing it down but what they are doing just makes more sense. And now that they are actually posting some updates it is building up even more excitement.

Intricks

Strata Poster
I think its a bit of "Feels good" for the atrocity it was being replaced with something we know will be far superior to the previous product, a bit of the CP-Fanatic mindset.

We still have a lot not being shown fully (first drop and lift hill being the primary), and we only have random bents to give us a vague idea as to what exactly will be fully realized. I know we give Cedar Point slag because for all their humongous rides, Maverick towers over them all as being one if, if not THE, best ride there. Plus its them not working with GCI or B&M for a change (which to me is more exciting than anything).

So a little of Column A, a bit of B, and heaping of C - Z

CitizenEraser

Roller Poster
OK, so while I am pretty interested in this thing - Mean Streak was a big huge structure, prime for some serious RMC-ing for sure - and it is starting to take shape quite pleasantly - I don't really get the OMG!!! WOW!!!! BEST THING EVAAAAAH!!!!! stuff that is going on here. Is that just me?

All we can see so far is a reasonable first drop, speed hill and an outward-banked second hill - nice enough for sure, but far from the second coming that seems to be the prevalent theme?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it'll turn out to be a pretty cool ride (indeed, tentative plans for a 2018 trip to these parts are forming in my mind) - but theres nothing (so far) that we haven't seen before on other conversions (think of the OMG HYPE when Iron Ratter's drop was being built for example?). Is this just the CP-fanboy mentality that I'm commenting on perhaps?
</flame suit on>
Feel free to be as excited or unexcited as you like.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I know we give Cedar Point slag because for all their humongous rides, Maverick towers over them all as being one if, if not THE, best ride there. Plus its them not working with GCI or B&M for a change (which to me is more exciting than anything).
I think that's it right there - this is the first truly good roller coaster to be built at Cedar Point in the last 10 years.

Mossed

Roller Poster

</flame suit on>

To me, the hype comes from a couple of factors. The first being, Mean Streak was absolutely my least favorite coaster in the park. Pure garbage. Every visit, with every different group, we'd all talk about how someone should light a match to that giant (but beautiful) structure. Enter RMC - the most popular manufacturer out there at this point. You've given the worlds most renouned coaster designer Alan Schilke a mammoth structure to play with. People are excited.

If I hadn't been on any RMCs, I wouldn't be extremely excited about what we've seen so far. Having been on a few, I can't help but think of every element in comparison to those from the one's I've ridden. That has me excited.

Also, just the thought of a 200 foot tall RMC right next door to Maverick. :cool:

Sythe

Mega Poster

</flame suit on>
I think because a lot of people were expecting this to be more like New Texas Giant and they were surprised too see that it's something completely different. Heck my home park is SFA and I'm amazed by these elements too, so it's not a cp fanboy thing.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Zerethon

Roller Poster
For me personally. Having watched RMC (And rode almost every ride they've built or transformed) Mean streak is the best thing to see get RMC'd.

NTG Started it all, mean streak is very similar, but after everything else they've done, seeing them take on the pile of splinters by the lake has me so excited it's not even funny. It's such a massive ride and massive structure and it gives them SO MUCH ROOM to play with.

I'm pretty confident it'll be top 10 if not top 5 material. i doubt Cedar Point would spend this kind of money to build crap, and i don't think RMC would take the job if CP just wanted an NTG clone, to be completely honest.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
On second look at the second, outward banked hill, this thing should translate similar to their overbank element (look at the transition coming out of it, which should produce lots of strong laterals). I fondly remember Outlaw Run's overbanked turn as the moment I realized RMC is very much a different animal - hopefully folks that haven't ridden RMC will get the same feels at this point in the ride too.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
From the CoasterForce Chat Facebook Group: Oh man, I'm already searching for custom hat ordering online!

17630133_447068935631812_7191445191624068624_n.jpg
"When we were all younger -- many of you are my age and many of you are younger -- but when we were all younger Mean Streak didn't lose so much, right? Mean Streak doesn't win anymore. As a roller coaster, it doesn't win. Mean Streak is going to win so much. You're going to get tired of winning. you’re going to say, ‘Please Cedar Point, I have a headache. Please, don't win so much. This is getting terrible.’ And they're going to say, ‘No, we have to make Mean Streak great again.’ You're gonna say, ‘Please.’ I said, ‘Nope, nope. We're gonna keep winning.’"

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Two new pics of Mean Streak from the NoLimits Exchange. Look at that minuscule bunny hill. Can't be more than a 3 foot height difference
db_2017_0326_MeanStreak31.jpg

db_2017_0326_MeanStreak51.jpg

Stevenr296

Roller Poster
Not sure if that little bunny hill is a let down or a good thing. But it's RMC Mean Streak so I guess it's the best thing ever.

The Hedgehog

Mega Poster
I hope this doesn't sound totally delusional.......But here it goes.....

I think at this juncture, most signs point to the twitter account being a CP employee, or even Tony himself. The whole "Trees" and "Clear" capitalized for no reason? Come on.....Anyway:

What if the reason for the MCBR still being there is for a launch?? I know a few of my friends and what not have posted that they think there might be a second lift hill, but what if the MCBR is instead a launch? That would explain the wood remaining higher than the tracks on the 3rd hill of the ride. It would also explain why the MCBR is still there. Do any other RMCs have a MCBR? I can't think of any off the top of my head. It's even pointed out in these tweets:

It would also explain why there is still such a large structure around the lift hill.

Idk, it sounds kind of crazy, especially given the problems that Dollywood has had with the launch aspect of Lightning Rod, but I wouldn't put it past them to do something totally outlandish, especially since this is on a trajectory for 2018 and not this year...

Also it would cap off a hell of a set of years of investment into CP and allow them to focus on some of their other parks now that CP will have received 3 coasters in the span of 5 years? (or is it 6?)

Either way, I'm just wildly speculating.