What's new

The VR thread

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Slightly different VR experience (in 2018) - courtesy of Busch Gardens Williamsburg:

TLARides

Hyper Poster
I was looking around on Alton Towers' Instagram account and found this.
d4068413fccfd4cc52dff27d07a37c9e.jpg

With this space theme (pointing at Galactica) and the "S" in the spiral (pointing at The Smiler), I would suggest they're putting VR on The Smiler. Which is a dumb choice (as if doing 14 inversions wasn't sickening enough, let's wear a headset so you can't see the real word).

It's either that or they're retheming X-Sector to a space theme (which is highly unlikely).

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

NeoXIII

Best Newcomer 2016
VR on The Smiler would be stupidly insane!
Even Merlin isn't that crazy. :p
I'm suspecting it's probably a Smiler themed ride option on Galactica or something like that.
That, or a sudden flat ride!

TLARides

Hyper Poster
VR on The Smiler would be stupidly insane!
Even Merlin isn't that crazy.
I'm suspecting it's probably a Smiler themed ride option on Galactica or something like that.
That, or a sudden flat ride!
I find it kinda silly they'd even try to mix the two rides. One's about space, another's about making people insanely happy.

And what kind of flat ride would mix these two themes appropriately? Seems kinda silly to me.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

jayjay

Giga Poster
Just an observation. I was reading a post elsewhere about Europa Park, and somebody responding with "you should check out the VR on Alpinexpressen," as a major selling point. I've seen these kind of recommendations in a couple of other places from random park goers (I remember somebody saying "Coaster Y is old news, they have VR coasters now"). Have any of you seen these kind of comments. I'm worried VR is catching on*

*he says without having been on any VR coasters

VTCGA5

Roller Poster
Giant Drop at Six Flags Great America is getting VR through Memorial Day -

C7fCCNxWsAAs_go.jpg

https://www.sixflags.com/greatamerica/attractions/drop-doom-virtual-reality
"Mutant spiders and death defying heights await those brave enough to try
As if the moments you wait to drop 22 stories above the ground weren't frightening enough, imagine feeling as though you are 100 stories up... covered in mutant spiders! Strap on your Samsung Gear VR powered by Oculus and be transported to a whole new place. This Virtual Reality experience is unlike any other as you battle to save yourself and those around you from mutants who aim to bring your futuristic city to rubble. Prepare for a high-intensity gun battle while the world around you zips by during your 100 story descent. Will you keep your cool long enough to bring peace to the city?

Don't miss your chance. Drop of Doom VR is available until memorial day at Six Flags Great America.

You must be 13 years old to ride with VR. "

Video:

Howie

Donkey in a hat
^Something tells me this is not something we should be getting overly excited about. The use of the Smiler and Oblivion lettering would suggest it involves X-Sector, I guess? I dunno, new restaurant maybe? Some sort of crappy pop-up attraction? New theme music for the area, courtesy of those IMA boys?

EthC

Mega Poster
Is it me or has the ordering of these little pictures of the rides spelling out something lol. Looks like if it goes Nemesis and the Galactica, it will spell out the word "STRONG" although I have no bloody clue what that is meant to do with Big six :emoji_laughing:

Will

Strata Poster
Looking at these, I think Ben's almost certainly on the right lines.
Clearly, a lot of people here have much higher expectations of Merlin's UK marketing team than I do :p
As hilarious as it would be to watch another guest relations disaster unfold, I'd put money on this having nothing to do with this thread.