What's new

Thorpe Park | Derren Brown's Ghost Train | VR Attraction

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Re: Derren Brown's Ghost Train (WC16) | Thorpe Park | May 2

Bit of a random question that I could probably find out myself if I could be bothered looking, but what does this actually do? Like, does the actual 'vehicle' move, or is it all just VR?

And also - who the **** actually manufactured this thing?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

Wow.

Yeah, you'd think after how that didn't work with Swarm they'd learn.

Weirdest thing for me is that if anything was gonna change, you'd assume the creatures are going in favour of something... Ya know, not stupid? But their claws are in that graphic. So I guess the creatures are staying.

Where's the graphic from? Is this an official announcement or leak?

elephant58 said:
Bit of a random question that I could probably find out myself if I could be bothered looking, but what does this actually do? Like, does the actual 'vehicle' move, or is it all just VR?

And also - who the **** actually manufactured this thing?
It's more like a walkthrough, like Dungeons. The "ride" portion does indeed move. But, it's not really part of the experience. It's hard to explain, but they did such a terrible job of pacing the theatre of it all, that the payoff for it moving rather than just being simulated movement is completely wasted. So, it might as well not move. But you spend most of the attraction on foot between the "ride" *coughs, splutters* portion.

As for who built it? The actual ...physical, hardware, moving ... part, bit... I dunno, anyone know? Anyone care?

jj23w

Hyper Poster

Severn Limb the people that did the Canada Creek Railway did the trains. Figment Productions did the VR. The ride itself was done by Simworxx and Intamin had something to do with it. I do like the ride but in essence it has no rerideability factor. I've done the ride 4 times and in this 4 times I've had the same story 3 times and a different story once. In essence the ride is just well thought out mirrors and flawed if you know where too look.

DelPiero

Strata Poster

Ha, it's that bad they are re doing it already?! If they keep the awful creatures or anything to do with the 2nd VR stays the same then it'll be more good money wasted.
I'll ride it again to see what's changed, but I'm not expecting a big improvement.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

It's rumoured to be the second ending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lofty

CF Legend

Hopefully it's an ending that doesn't transport you from being underground to being on an overhead railway...

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster

I've been on tubes where they go outside though. They'll probably put scare actors in the gift shop or something.

I feel like history is being made. In 100 years time, CFers will be commuting to work on flying chairs discussing the biggest f**k ups in history and this will eternally be mentioned .

Ben

CF Legend

You never go from being underground to in the air though.

You emerge from tunnels but never and now we're on the rooftop.

Lofty

CF Legend

All I can remember is being quite high up looking down on death and destruction?

Howie

Donkey in a hat

Quite happy to never go on it again to be honest.
No matter what they do with it, it'll still be awful.
It doesn't work as a theme park attraction. Even if the operational issues were ironed out, and the actors were better, and the graphics were improved, and the physical effects were beefed up - it still wouldn't work. The problem is much more fundamental than that.
The concept is flawed. The technology is misplaced. The idea behind it just doesn't translate to a theme park environment.
It's a dead duck. They should just close it at the end of the season, quietly dismantle it over the winter, announce a big ass RMC for 2018 and we can all forget that it ever happened.

DelPiero

Strata Poster

[facebookpost]https://www.facebook.com/thorpepark/posts/10154467602375867[/facebookpost]
Interesting video, shame everyone interviewed is bending the truth: "It's giving us something that the guests are asking for more". Yeah - Ok mate - They are asking for you to change it because it's ****.

The sheer hate from the GP is hilarious.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

The comments are fab.

Ben

CF Legend

That's amazing ah haha.

Literally no-one likes it.

Yay.

Piece of ****.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster

I wonder if the new destination means they'll actually stop the trains motion before ordering you off?

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend

The video is great, but it's literally full of either outright lies or like... Comments that are so obscure in context.

"It was his (Brown's) concept"
"and he was REALLY into the VR thing"

I highly. ****. Doubt. That.

"VR is an opportunity to just go as fantastic as you like"

So not very fantastic then?

"The ability to shift someone into a parallel universe in a split second"

So we took them into an exact replica of the boring environment they were in anyway.

"In our world of visitor attractions, it's really hard to do that."

????

THAT IS LITERALLY THE CRAFT OF THEMED ENTERTAINMENT.

"For people to really buy into the world they're in, there's a lot of work involved in that and there's always compromises."

Yup, we know, a whole load of work you guys didn't put in.

"we don't shy away from stuff we haven't done before"

Yeah we could tell you had zero experience.

"the biggest hurdle was we really had to think about how we were building and animating stuff"

Figament made the animals for the temple restaurant screens at Chessie's hotel. Those awful, poorly animated things. Either they have zero clue how to animate or render things to be lifelike, or Merlin offer them so little money they cut corners until they end up with trash. So maybe this comment isn't a lie, maybe they spent ages thinking about how the hell they were going to make a profit. How they can animate as poorly as possible? Who knows. It's a mystery. At least they're honest about why they went with filmed elements and that people responded well to them. Maybe not well, maybe just not as poorly as to the rest of it, but fair enough.

"the guests are asking for more"

Yeah but they're not though are they.

"people come out generally terrified"

Anyone else have a pet peeve with people who say generally when they mean genuinely?

Also - no they don't.

"or just couldn't believe it"

Yeah, couldn't believe how bad it was.

"see how fantastic VR is"

The opposite happened, guys. The opposite.

"it was massively ambitious"

The only truthful comment in the whole thing.

davidm

Strata Poster
To be fair ; the video/news story shows the guy just spilling a bottle of water on himself - the "pissing himself" thing is you getting triggered by clickbait/fakenews ;)

Last edited:

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Oh, I didn't bother with the article - just the headline which Thorpe seem happy to use as a selling-point. How many will read beyond the headline/tweet? Something like "Look what happened when a professional boxer tried Derren Brown's new ride" would be more clickbaity.