What's new

Happy Valley Chongqing | Soaring Wings | B&M Wing Coaster

Intricks

Strata Poster
Dive loop - Airtime Hill - Giant Corkscrew - Zero-G into the turnaround?

Also, why does the corkscrew have that support at its apex? I dont think Gatekeepers had it (is that the only Wing Coaster bar this that has the giant corkscrew?)...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Yeah, it does look very strange. Swarm/X-Flight don't have them on their zero-G rolls either. I know they're smaller, but this certainly does look very new for B&M.

aacfhla

aacinqa

I'm more and more intrigued by the layout of this coaster the more I see of it. I'm guessing a large zero-G/corkscrew element, then some sort of giant version of the weird roll found on Flug der Damonen. With a little less extreme of a turnaround on the exit.

aacraba

Then it looks like it's heading up towards some sort of MCBR.

I know it was only concept art, but this section does seem to differ from the artwork posted on the first page.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Could be to put up a sign or something later? Or is it earthquake-proofing?

Studying the grainy picture a little closer, it appears that the zero-G roll is over a building of sorts. It's possible that the regular type of support could not fit because of that.

Dar

Hyper Poster
Does this have an inline roll on it? This could be the near-miss support that would normally go in the middle of the twist?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Could be to put up a sign or something later? Or is it earthquake-proofing?
Earthquake-proofing is a good guess, but the rest of the structure looks reasonably standard, so it would seem strange to just do that on that part?

I wonder if it's not a support at all? The angle of it just feels wrong (it almost looks like it's sloping back on itself), making me think we might be misinterpreting the image. Much like one of the supports on the furthest left turnaround that looks suspiciously like a crane to me. I wonder if it's a cherry picker or something that just happens to be white and nearly lining up with the supports?

I'm genuinely really curious about this. I love a good puzzle.

EDIT: Seems as if I jumped the gun on the cherry picker idea. I think this image on the previous page shows the top of the inversion - sure enough it has a second vertical support. How strange.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Vekoma posted a pic of their Family Boomerang on site. You can see the inversion in question and the support in the background.
The following 4 pronged support is pretty odd too

Vekomaminis.jpg

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Indeed, all pretty odd. I wonder why that inversion is so heavily supported, yet the next one looks pretty normal...

Alaeriia

Roller Poster
^Indeed, all pretty odd. I wonder why that inversion is so heavily supported, yet the next one looks pretty normal...
Perhaps it has to do with clearance, much like how Nitro's supports are. It could also be partially for holding up thematic elements.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The layout is starting to strike me as very Gatekeeper-y. An additional vertical loop and turn around-rather-than-dive loop, and things look very similar.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Im even more interested by this ride more and more.

Is that an interaction point that will have the teain be held upside as it goes over the entrance of the Zero-G they just left moments prior?

And will this be a zero-g stall-like element happening here as well? Cause its already starting to roll at about the halfway point, with the full inversion happening towards the beginning of the Zero-G.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Yes, it does seem like that. I think there will be a near-miss on the support that is on the entrance to the zero-G (almost as if the train would be at the same angle as that crane). I was half imagining something like the second zero-G/inline on Gatekeeper, where the train rolls about half-way, before quickly whipping through the end.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
In my opinion and judging from pictures this looks like the best wingcoaster layout built. Love the floaty looking airtime and always think the vertical loops look particularly impressive on these. Cheers for the updates @roomraider

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The small airtime hill after the loop reminds of the one on Hair Raiser, before the zero-g. Obviously different ride types, but Hair Raiser's is the best part of the ride.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Here's hoping that small airtime hill doesn't cause too much vibration onboard the train. While the B&M wing coaster trains are far superior to Intamin's wing coasters with regards to vibration, there can be a bit of feedback on Gatekeeper during it's airtime hills.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Here's hoping that small airtime hill doesn't cause too much vibration onboard the train. While the B&M wing coaster trains are far superior to Intamin's wing coasters with regards to vibration, there can be a bit of feedback on Gatekeeper during it's airtime hills.
To be fair, I don't remember the small airtime hill at the start of Flug Der Damonen being too bad. It is a smaller coaster, but it's also the first element taken at top speed.

The airtime-hill barrel roll is interesting. I wonder how it will ride...