What's new

Six Flags Great America | Sky Striker | Zamperla Giga Discovery | 2024

Christian

Hyper Poster
Liseberg recently replaced a small pendulum with a bigger one. SFGAM could do the same. Or just ship out revolution to a more neglected park.

The slogan "take to the skies" and 172 days on strike sound pretty convincing for a giga discovery.

cookie

Giga Poster
Ah. Yes. When I think 172, I immediately also think frisbee ride.

The park lacks a star flyer ride, maybe it's one of those. SFNE replaced its sky coaster with one. 🤷‍♂️
172 feet would make it ever so slightly taller than CraZanity at Magic Mountain, which unless I missed something stands as the world’s tallest frisbee ride at 170. It’s a sound enough theory if you ask me.

Christian

Hyper Poster
172 feet would make it ever so slightly taller than CraZanity at Magic Mountain, which unless I missed something stands as the world’s tallest frisbee ride at 170. It’s a sound enough theory if you ask me.

According to Zamperla their Giga Discovery reaches 172'3'' as a max height. https://www.zamperla.com/products/giga-discovery/

The park lacks a star flyer ride, maybe it's one of those. SFNE replaced its sky coaster with one. 🤷‍♂️

A 172 feet SkyScreamer at one of Six Flag's biggest parks sounds pretty meh. A SFGAM ScyScreamer should be taller, at least 200 feet.

MaxxForceFan

Roller Poster
Magic Mountain, Great Adventure, Fiesta Texas, and Mexico currently have the same Giga Discovery and share the record.

cookie

Giga Poster
If I was you, I'd listen to the manufacturer over RCDB... you know, the guys that actually MAKE the coaster and have the technical specifications at their disposal.
The funny thing is RCDB even has a photo of Vekoma’s model plate for Cloud Shuttle that lists 52.4m as the height:

Last edited:

lom.lom.lom

Roller Poster
If I was you, I'd listen to the manufacturer over RCDB... you know, the guys that actually MAKE the coaster and have the technical specifications at their disposal.
Those manufacturers are the same folks that accurately list their rides’ top speeds and hourly capacities right?

Lofty

CF Legend
Those manufacturers are the same folks that accurately list their rides’ top speeds and hourly capacities right?
Yes, those ones. That's kind of an irrelevant argument when different coasters, in different locations around the world, with different operators are huge factors that affect the above (just to name a few).

Manufacturers have a TRPH (theoretical riders per hour), their hourly capacities are at perfect conditions and what is feasible as a maximum. So... not sure what your point is?

Steely Dan

Mega Poster
A totally solid addition for my home park.

I love the name too. No stupid superhero nonsense!!! and it's a fun nod back to the GI Joe days of my childhood (though I don't think there's any actual branding tie-in going on here).

The only thing that has my head a little tilty is the fact that SF is putting two of these monster rides in its two Midwest parks in the same year. It's not a complaint, and with the two parks 300 miles away from each other, there's extremely little market overlap, but it still seems a touch strange to me to do it that way.

But whatever, both parks will benefit from these awesome-looking rides.

Last edited:

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
The only thing that has my head a little tilty is the fact that SF is putting two of these monster rides in its two Midwest parks in the same year. It's not a complaint, and with the two parks 300 miles away from each other, there's extremely little market overlap, but it still seems a touch strange to me to do it that way.
*Looks at Cedar Point and Kings Island getting WindSeeker the same year* 🤷‍♂️

MaxxForceFan

Roller Poster
It would be nice to see a new entrance for Sky Striker instead of reusing the existing shared American Eagle/ Dare Devil Dive entrance.

It appears the park has space to put an entrance for Sky Striker here and run the queue line under X-Flight.
9QVvVLQ.png

auBM7I9.png