What's new

Six Flags to close 15 rides in the chain after 2020

bdrizzyb

Roller Poster
I do think it will be removal of filler rides such as flat rides and kids rides, I really don't think we will see any major coasters removed, potentially SBNO but no removals for major rides. Maybe the removals of more log flumes that are past the 30 year old mark and maybe the removal of rides that are seen as carnival rides such as; sizzler's, tilt a whirls and music expresses. hope no major coasters are removed!

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
maybe the removal of rides that are seen as carnival rides such as; sizzler's, tilt a whirls and music expresses.
Funny thing is, Six Flags has actually been *adding* these type of rides over the last few years with SFOG getting both a Tilt and Scrambler (for the third time?), and SFFT also getting a Tilt. I believe La Ronde was getting a Tilt last year but not sure if it ever did.

trying to come up with rides that could be removed.
1 Splash Boat at SFOG, long closed anyways
2 Top Spin at Great Adventure (i think its the last one at a SF park at this point? unless Great America still has one)
3 Bobsled at Great Escape, rarely opened as is, cant run at night due to noise
4 Bobsled at SFOT, 3 person cars at a *major* park... and super outdated, even if fun.
5 Frisbee at SFDK, was in pieces when I visited last year, looks like it hadn't been used in a while
6 Flying Dutchman at SFA, last time I was there it was missing at least half the boats!

Pear

Strata Poster
Well seems SFFT might lose a ride

screencapture-www-facebook-com-groups-TexasThrillSeekers-1603998629580.png

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Did SFOG actually "add" the Tilt and Scrambler, or just take them back out of storage and retheme them? AIso, is anything useable left of Splashwater Falls?
Not sure about the Scrambler being the same one they introduced in 2004 or not. But it's been gone since at least 2006 until this year. I dont ever remember them having a Tilt... and when I was there in August, almost everything but the boats for Splash were still in place.

MountedShooter

Mega Poster
Not sure about the Scrambler being the same one they introduced in 2004 or not. But it's been gone since at least 2006 until this year. I dont ever remember them having a Tilt... and when I was there in August, almost everything but the boats for Splash were still in place.
I remember the "Tilt-a-Whirl" from when I was a kid back in the late 70's early 80's. It looks like the same ride with new paint.

EDjanaika

Mega Poster
Funny thing is, Six Flags has actually been *adding* these type of rides over the last few years with SFOG getting both a Tilt and Scrambler (for the third time?), and SFFT also getting a Tilt. I believe La Ronde was getting a Tilt last year but not sure if it ever did.

trying to come up with rides that could be removed.
1 Splash Boat at SFOG, long closed anyways
2 Top Spin at Great Adventure (i think its the last one at a SF park at this point? unless Great America still has one)
3 Bobsled at Great Escape, rarely opened as is, cant run at night due to noise
4 Bobsled at SFOT, 3 person cars at a *major* park... and super outdated, even if fun.
5 Frisbee at SFDK, was in pieces when I visited last year, looks like it hadn't been used in a while
6 Flying Dutchman at SFA, last time I was there it was missing at least half the boats!
Not sure about La Vibora going as it's a good coaster that may be outdated, does pull in guests but i can see the Great Escape one going. However, we haven't mentioned that we know one of the rides already leaving which is of course Tidal Wave at Six Flags Magic Mountain which will be removed to be replaced by a new coaster on it's and the GL:FF site!

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Surprised no one has mentioned the other part of this announcement saying that by optimizing ride offerings and with new measures to reduce ride maintenance budgets they can save enough to build one new ride per year - not at each park, just one new ride for the entire chain. There was also no update on if the 2020 rides will open in 2021.