What's new

Busch Gardens Williamsburg | Pantheon | Intamin LSM Coaster | 2022

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
I really wanna thank Mr. Schilke for being one of the first to push coasters to their extreme with all the RMC coasters. Taiga is completely insane as us and Pantheon looks even more insane. I really can't wait for this coaster to open!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
I really dislike it when everybody is obsessing over Alan Schilke.
1) He is not creating the coasters on his own... It's like a student having to put the name of their professor on a published paper.
2) Coaster companies (and certainly Intamin) are experimenting a lot. It's certainly not RMC that has invented the "being crazy with the track". They just happen to be the first this time around.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I really dislike it when everybody is obsessing over Alan Schilke.
1) He is not creating the coasters on his own... It's like a student having to put the name of their professor on a published paper.
2) Coaster companies (and certainly Intamin) are experimenting a lot. It's certainly not RMC that has invented the "being crazy with the track". They just happen to be the first this time around.
I mean, he literally is the designer. He designs the layouts. Is somebody jealous of Alan because he has the perfect job? ;)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I mean, he literally is the designer. He designs the layouts. Is somebody jealous of Alan because he has the perfect job? ;)
I'll caveat by saying I agree with you, but that's a bit like suggesting Norman Foster did all the design drawings for the Gherkin or that Elon Musk programs the Tesla AI. Shilke is the LEAD designer, but he doesn't do everything.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I'll caveat by saying I agree with you, but that's a bit like suggesting Norman Foster did all the design drawings for the Gherkin or that Elon Musk programs the Tesla AI. Shilke is the LEAD designer, but he doesn't do everything.
This is very true, although I wouldn't be surprised if he had a great deal to do with these new elements and the new shaping a lot of these coasters have.

Us3rmane

Mega Poster
Alan Schilke is a designer but now the parks works with the designers to make the layout. For example Untamed is codesigned by Schilke and CDA Developpement, Schlke created some elements for Untamed and from what I've heard the 270° Double Inverting Corner Stall and the last heartline roll are both ideas from the CDA team

bob_3_

Giga Poster
That is if it doesn't break down every 6 seconds.

Ok so there are some unreliable Intamins, mainly their hydraulic launch coasters and some prototypes. But I really feel it is a bit unfair to label all their models as unreliable.

For example Taiga, Taron & Red Force I've never seen go down, and I've done a few visits to some of these parks including their opening years (which is when you'll usually ride a ride at it's least reliable). I have heard a few people state that Intamin don't have a good track record and I am curious where this comes from, because I've noticed a vast improvement from the 00s.

Ethan

Strata Poster
For example Taiga, Taron & Red Force I've never seen go down
I'm not sure what realm you're living in if you've never seen Taron down. Every single time I visit the park it goes down. Either when I'm in the queue, or elsewhere in the park. When I visited again in June, it was breaking down every hour or two. Very unreliable.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
I'm not sure what realm you're living in if you've never seen Taron down. Every single time I visit the park it goes down. Either when I'm in the queue, or elsewhere in the park. When I visited again in June, it was breaking down every hour or two. Very unreliable.

What? Thats crazy, maybe I've been lucky but I've done 3, 2 day trips since it's opened and even marathoned the thing and never saw it go down once. Same with Linnanmaki spent two full days there and Taiga didn't go down at all.

Lofty

CF Legend
Remind me never to go to Phantasialand when you're there ;)

I have seen Taron down a few times to be fair, but they seem to get it back up quick.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
While I agree Intamin's reliability has improved, I cannot help but fear for the reliability of this coaster, mainly due to the high speed switch track which could be an issue, as HMCMBA has a similar system and has been plagued with downtime since it's opening.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
While I agree Intamin's reliability has improved, I cannot help but fear for the reliability of this coaster, mainly due to the high speed switch track which could be an issue, as HMCMBA has a similar system and has been plagued with downtime since it's opening.
That coaster doesn't necessarily make a good example in this case, though. With a multitude of trains and effects that need to be synched, it's hard to tell if its operating issues were caused by the high-speed track switch or any of the other complex systems.

Ethan

Strata Poster
That coaster doesn't necessarily make a good example in this case, though. With a multitude of trains and effects that need to be synched, it's hard to tell if its operating issues were caused by the high-speed track switch or any of the other complex systems.
This. And from what I've heard, it seems bees have caused more issues than the track switch has. Although I do think still Intamins can be temperamental at times, I don't know if this one would be? I hope not anyway.