Energylandia | Zadra | RMC I-Box

FOMO Coaster

Mega Poster
sYRZqky.jpg

1AlxhC7.jpg

More photos: FOMO Coaster on FB

pawel98123

Mega Poster
It's sad but unfortunately after yesterday's strong wind Zadra's structure was destroyed ... for now we don't know how much, better photos will probably provide PabloA

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Well ****

That's a major dent in their plans; would be very surprised if they manage to get it ready for this year now.

When was the last time this happened? I know Toverland had issues with Troy when they were building that - any other times?

Ethan

Strata Poster
I didn't even think strong winds could do this to a coaster. How come this doesn't happen to other wooden coasters then? Is it because the structure isn't complete, therefore it doesn't have the strength that a fully-built coaster has? I just would have thought the structure would be strong from the first part built to the last.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Good lord. That is, in my eyes, simply unacceptable.
Is it because the structure isn't complete, therefore it doesn't have the strength that a fully-built coaster has? I just would have thought the structure would be strong from the first part built to the last.
It damn well SHOULD be. The partially completed structure should be able to withstand all of the loading conditions that the completed structure is able to (with the exception of the dynamic train loads, of course) - otherwise you're building a death trap.

If this does turn out to be a result of the weather, I see one of three things has happened:
1. The wind was so extreme that it went over and above the designed conditions for the structure (in its partially built state) - seems unlikely to me given the factors of safety in these sort of things.
2. The structure wasn't designed properly for it's temporary state.
3. The structure wasn't built properly for it's temporary state.

I hope the first is the case, as realistically it's the one most 'out-of-the-hands' of the designers/builders. If the latter two, RMC/whoever-is-helping-them-locally has a lot of questions to answer. Well, a lot more questions that if it's the first, in which case they will still have a lot to explain.

Hopefully no-one was hurt. That's the best we can hope for.

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Double post, but according to this source, they haven't had anything particularity bad in the area over the last few days. Can't rule out rogue gusts or anything, of course.

dzszQ94.png

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/poland/krakow/historic

Ruled out that it was just the wind, or is there any change a crane knocked it over (operator error OR wind that knocked the crane over)?

God, what a pickle.

Snoo

The Legend
Yeah holy crap. I don't think I've ever seen that happen before. Even with 40-50mph gusts.. you shouldn't see the whole structure fall over.

I do feel like a "I told you so" coming when I mentioned the park is building too fast for it's own good. Imagine this happening while people were riding it..

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Wow that's crazy. Hopefully we'll get some more info and nobody was hurt. Think we can safely say that this will be next year now.

UP87

Mega Poster
It damn well SHOULD be. The partiually completed structure should be able to withstand all of the loading conditions that the completed structure is able to (with the exception of the dynamic train loads, of course) - otherwise you're building a death trap.
That's just not true. A lot of the stability of a coaster is due to the complete track and the connections formed through it. Without knowing too much I'd assume that some part on top that was not finished got damaged and that the rest of it happened like a chain reaction.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
One would hope that if there was anyone on site who could potentially be injured, there wouldn't be people who would be able to get so close to the site and calmly record the area.

But yes, fingers crossed that everyone is safe.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
That's just not true. A lot of the stability of a coaster is due to the complete track and the connections formed through it. Without knowing too much I'd assume that some part on top that was not finished got damaged and that the rest of it happened like a chain reaction.
I'm sorry, but that just IS true. If the top of the structure isn't self-supporting in a robust way, then you use temporary bracing to ensure it is. Sure, it won't be quite the same as the finished system, but for this to happen means that the structure was not safe*. It's exactly the design principles behind many large structures (my knowledge is mostly in buildings, but the same applies to bridges, towers, scaffolding, etc) - they have to work in the temporary case just as well as the final case.

Agree about the chain reaction though, especially on a match-stick structure like this.

*The exception being, of course, that some freakishly strong gusts got in there and did the damage. Hard to ever know if that's the case, I suppose, and very hard to account for.

Snoo

The Legend

While not knowing about much about engineering, I can see your point but as Hixee is an engineer. He's not taking stabs in the dark. That being said.. if you remove the track from a ride, such as Colossos at Heide.. the structure shouldn't fall apart.