What's new

Canada's Wonderland | Yukon Striker | B&M Dive Coaster

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
So the only part of this coaster left to complete now is the vertical loop and the section of track connecting the crest of the Immelmann to the MCBR, and then the coaster is done. Apparently they are aiming for track completion by New Years.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
The huge Dive Machine track that B&M do is so impressive. When you see it up close like that, you realise how damn big it is. Valravn is so imposing when you're stood near it, and this looks to be much the same.

Not sure I love the aesthetic of this coaster, but I do marvel at it.
Completely agree here. They certainly are spectacles even if they are a one trick pony.

After watching the video again, it looks like they're covering up the straight bit of track with a tunnel. I think we'll all be in agreement that it's the right move.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
^double agreed. Dive coasters definitely aren't the most interesting rides, but they are so damn impressive. The ridiculous lack of supports, and massive track & trains basically force you to pay attention to it.

Snoo

The Legend
Interesting. Well just progress at this point. By far the most interesting part of the ride is almost done.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I think it'll be a really good ride, the sheer scale of the ride is so daunting. It's merely 7ft shorter than Behemoth.
I think this is one of those things we often seem to overlook as enthusiasts. Sure, it's "yet another Dive Machine" to us, but by all standards those are some pretty huge coasters. It's almost 20 storeys tall, providing an awesome view. It also sends riders plummeting vertically down that entire height and then some. And then it starts going upside down. Oh, and the trains don't have a floor. A lot of factors that are pretty daunting by themselves, but now combined into one huge coaster. While they may not be very forceful, the Dive Machines check most of the other boxes on the "Holy :emoji_poop:!" checklist. No wonder why they are so popular with parks that can afford them.

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
Can't wait to celebrate my birthday by not riding it on opening day :mad:

I think it'll be a really good ride, the sheer scale of the ride is so daunting. It's merely 7ft shorter than Behemoth.
When is your birthday? I wanted to go for my birthday (April 29) but now that it's opening the weekend after I'm looking to go hit up Six Flags Over Georgia for the first time.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I think this is one of those things we often seem to overlook as enthusiasts. Sure, it's "yet another Dive Machine" to us, but by all standards those are some pretty huge coasters. It's almost 20 storeys tall, providing an awesome view. It also sends riders plummeting vertically down that entire height and then some. And then it starts going upside down. Oh, and the trains don't have a floor. A lot of factors that are pretty daunting by themselves, but now combined into one huge coaster. While they may not be very forceful, the Dive Machines check most of the other boxes on the "Holy :emoji_poop:!" checklist. No wonder why they are so popular with parks that can afford them.
Agreed. These are hyper coasters with some of the biggest stats out there - Valravn for instance took the tallest inversion the world record on opening (Cedar Point fudged their numbers a bit to still have Gatekeeper be taller, but Valravn still technically beat Gatekeeper by a foot), and are often one of the tallest, fastest roller coasters for their domicile. Far better cookie cutter coaster than Vekoma SLC and Boomerangs. ;)

bernatc22

Mega Poster
I think the main problem with dive coasters is when parks that can barely afford them invest heavily on one, basically neglecting the existance of another major ride for some years. If the park can afford one with no financial struggles (Cedar Point for example) or they already have a solid lineup (the case with YS), I don't see why they are bad investments. Either way, as long as the KI 2020 coaster isn't a dive, I'll be happy.

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
I think the main problem with dive coasters is when parks that can barely afford them invest heavily on one, basically neglecting the existance of another major ride for some years. If the park can afford one with no financial struggles (Cedar Point for example) or they already have a solid lineup (the case with YS), I don't see why they are bad investments. Either way, as long as the KI 2020 coaster isn't a dive, I'll be happy.

What park has ever invested in a Dive Machine while barely being able to afford it? Janfusun Fancyworld? Gardaland is not a case of "overspending" but rather Merlin being a good horse, since the park is printing money as is.

KI 2020 coaster won't be a dive because that would be weird.

Hutch

Strata Poster
or they already have a solid lineup (the case with YS)
Canada's Wonderland has a good lineup? I mean sure Leviathan and Behemoth are great, but then you got a dozen or so other coasters that range from meh to **** (that's what it seems to me at least). I've never been, but doing the park seems like a chore because of all the crappy creds you need to get through. Yukon Striker will greatly help the lineup, and if anything it gives you something else to look forward to beyond the two other B&Ms.

Catmaydo

Roller Poster
Canada's Wonderland has a good lineup? I mean sure Leviathan and Behemoth are great, but then you got a dozen or so other coasters that range from meh to :emoji_poop: (that's what it seems to me at least). I've never been, but doing the park seems like a chore because of all the crappy creds you need to get through. Yukon Striker will greatly help the lineup, and if anything it gives you something else to look forward to beyond the two other B&Ms.

It's not the strongest coaster line up ever, but it's a decent park with a good selection of flat rides and pretty speedy ride ops. It depends on how you choose to enjoy theme parks; if all you're after is ticking off items on a list then CW is 'meh' outside of the current big two, and Vortex. Minebuster is painful and dull, Wild Beast is (really) painful but has an interesting layout, then you've got all the clones and family coasters. I enjoyed the hell out of the park because Canadian 'meh' is still better than most of what the UK has to offer, and I'm stupidly excited to ride Yukon Striker in a few months.

Hutch

Strata Poster
It depends on how you choose to enjoy theme parks; if all you're after is ticking off items on a list then CW is 'meh' outside of the current big two, and Vortex.
But that's what we do though when we visit new parks, right, especially for a park like CW? Sure, of course I'd want to try to enjoy the park, focus on the B&Ms, and maybe chill out for a bit. But when CW is one of the park's with the most coasters in the world (YS will be the 17th!) with a lackluster supporting lineup, I imagine it will be a pain trying to get through all that, and that's not even considering the flat rides. It'll also depend on operations and overall feel of the place as well.

I had a similar feeling when I visited Carowinds. Outside the Big 3 and Nighthawk (controversial opinion, I know), there was just a lot of crap to get through. I still ended up having a decent time but getting all the creds was starting to get a bit cumbersome. I imagine this would be worse for CW. At least other stuff like CP and KI have good supporting creds to break up all the +1-and-done's.