What's new

Heide Park Colossos retracking (2019)

Ethan

Strata Poster
Are they only putting in metal ledgers on the valleys and lowest points (the points which hurt the most from experience) or most of the track?

coasterfan3657

Roller Poster
Does anyone have any rough idea of an opening date- it seems as if they are getting on very well but with merlin you never know- is mid may a sensible time to anticipate a late opening?

Snoo

The Legend
Does anyone have any rough idea of an opening date- it seems as if they are getting on very well but with merlin you never know- is mid may a sensible time to anticipate a late opening?
cat-praying-to-god-jesus-christ-lord.gif

Matt N

CF Legend
Judging by most other Merlin projects, it should be open by May unless anything goes majorly wrong during construction.

Matt N

CF Legend
Looking good! Should be a nice centrepiece to the ride; maybe there will be effects, like mist and maybe even lighting or fire!

JoshC.

Strata Poster
The angle / photo quality is no doubt playing a part, but I can't quite tell what it's meant to be..?

Looking good! Should be a nice centrepiece to the ride; maybe there will be effects, like mist and maybe even lighting or fire!

I know they have taken Wicker Man as inspiration for the theming, but whether that's just a weird focal point the track interacts with, or actually using fire effects, wasn't clear.

Last edited:

Ethan

Strata Poster
Looks like some sort of tree beast. Meh, it's not a bad looking structure but it just looks so... Plonked? It's just sat there at the end of the coaster, and I wouldn't have much of an issue with that normally but it's the fact Merlin are marketing it as a new experience </3

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Are my eyes deceiving me, or are there two sets of tracks leading into the structure?

coasterfan3657

Roller Poster
Have they got rid of the statue of liberty then? I think this looks great and if it means that a ride with okay and not very thorough theming will become a bit like wicker man I'm all for it

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
Colossos is one beast of a ride even as a barebone wooden structure. Nothing like Wicker Man really, which is all about the overall experience. Any sort of theming (or let‘s call it refreshment) will just add to an even more world class experience.

Heide Park desperately needs Colossos to stay on the map of world class theme parks. They‘re not doing a great job with covering up their aged line-up (*cough* Transsylvanian area *cough*) so they better make sure their showpieces overshadow these. As it stands, I could give zero ****s about this place, so I‘m glad that Merlin finally seems to care and even goes the extra mile by adding theming to a ride that didn‘t necessarily need it.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
Are my eyes deceiving me, or are there two sets of tracks leading into the structure?
The top layer was added as part of the theming, I assume it's supposed to create the effect that this tree-monster is ripping up the track?

Peet

Giga Poster
I was puzzled by this too but that second track has no structure beneath it so it must just be part of the theming as @CoasterMac305 says.

It's odd that the trains will come *out* of the tree thing's mouth instead of into it, so you won't see the theming as you travel into it, although I suppose you will see it moments earler as you travel past. And I guess there will probably be some kind of facade on the other side too. Looking at Google aerial photos the structure is roughly where the red circle is so it will be interesting to see how much of the track is enclosed - maybe the whole final turnaround? Or maybe not!
Capture.JPG

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I was puzzled by this too but that second track has no structure beneath it so it must just be part of the theming as @CoasterMac305 says.

It's odd that the trains will come *out* of the tree thing's mouth instead of into it, so you won't see the theming as you travel into it, although I suppose you will see it moments earler as you travel past. And I guess there will probably be some kind of facade on the other side too. Looking at Google aerial photos the structure is roughly where the red circle is so it will be interesting to see how much of the track is enclosed - maybe the whole final turnaround? Or maybe not!
View attachment 4263
I'm pretty sure the structure is covering the last set of hill before the turnaround, so you will enter the mouth.

davidm

Strata Poster
^ Yeah its gotta be enclosing that final little airtime hill - it looks nice though, would look even nicer with the vastness of the rest of the main coaster structure framed behind it, sure we'll be getting a lot of those pics in due course.

EDIT : this sort of angle;
5824872230_3b7f52db88_n.jpg