What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Providing they don't suffer any delays (which with such a complex compact site and depending how harsh this Winter might be its quite possible) I'm still confident that they will have it finished for Summer 2019. Klugheim still majorly looked like a construction site until nearer to opening.
It's far too early to be predicting a 2020 opening - lets see how things progress in the next few months first.

Anyway PHLMarcus on PhantaFriends.de reckons there is about 800-850 metres of track installed. He predicts there is around 300-350 metres still to come (need to beat that 1,124 m record of Flying Dinosaur after all!)
On CoasterFriends.de Roff has edited this drawing to show the new track pieces (marked in pink). Orange marks the two launches.
9543577d1541193484-201x-neuheit-fly-launched-flying-coaster-themenbereich-rookburgh-phantasialand-flylayout.jpg

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
Anyway PHLMarcus on PhantaFriends.de reckons there is about 800-850 metres of track installed. He predicts there is around 300-350 metres still to come (need to beat that 1,124 m record of Flying Dinosaur after all!)
To be fair I think there will be quite a bit more than 350m of extra track. I wouldnt believe if the first launch was made this long to only cover about 300-500 m of track. Also I think they will build more on the top left part, where its now rather empty :)

roff

Roller Poster
Well, we don't know how much of the already built track will be part of the first section.
I'm thinking that the part with the helix will be most certainly before the second launch, because it is too tight for the higher speeds..
and then there's the 150m that are definitely before the second launch, because the track is already connecting there.
So i don't think a lot of the track that will be built in the top left part will be for the first section of the right, but rather for the second.

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
Well, we don't know how much of the already built track will be part of the first section.
I'm thinking that the part with the helix will be most certainly before the second launch, because it is too tight for the higher speeds..
and then there's the 150m that are definitely before the second launch, because the track is already connecting there.
So i don't think a lot of the track that will be built in the top left part will be for the first section of the right, but rather for the second.
I understand that my wording was a bit open to interpretation :p
But I didn't mean that the track for after the first launch wasn't there, but rather that there will be more track after the first launch than speculated :) (Whether the track is already there or not doesn't matter :) )
Also the same for the top left part. I'm not sure which launch will go there, I was just speculating that the track would go there (so coming from either launch)

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
To be fair I think there will be quite a bit more than 350m of extra track. I wouldnt believe if the first launch was made this long to only cover about 300-500 m of track. Also I think they will build more on the top left part, where its now rather empty :)
I believe the assumption/prediction was made on the basis that they would struggle to fit much more in. Slowly but surely they're running out space! But of course no one can say for sure, simply need to wait and see how much more they pack in there.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
It's pretty amazing how they've seemingly progressed so far since the corkscrew first went up and we still are relatively clueless as to what the final product will become. This is arguably the most exciting project for 2019 for many of the same reasons as Harry Potter - there's so much mystery surrounding it. The construction process is a ride in itself.

marvin_99

Roller Poster
Hello everyone,
the off-season started so I've got some time :D So I tried to do my own recreation of the layout with the help of all images I could find. Especially looking at the supports helped a lot to determine where the track actually is located. It is very similiar to the one of Roff but at some points our perspective varies. Also I changed the color of the track into two different ones to distinguish the part after the first launch and the one after the second launch.
fly_1.png

Because of the one support next to the second launch I think it's very likely that this connection will come. I also marked what I think will be the connections between the open endings

fly_2.png

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Vekoma's new website now features the new generation flying coaster model. According to which an announcement of the model shall be made soon.

https://www.vekoma.com/flying-coasters

On this really unique ride, riders are comfortably and safely harnessed in a prone position. Riders start in a sit-down position and are transported sideways to a dark ride section. They are immersed in a story to save the world using their flying super powers. Prepared to get launched, the track and seats are turns 90 degrees creating a smooth transformation from dark ride to flying coaster from where the flight begins and riders experience inversions, air time moments, near miss moments and a lot more. With their arms stretched out, face down and parallel to the track, this is as close as it gets to flying like superman!

The combination of the different positions of riders, creating a free view dark ride section in combination with a thrill, makes this ride type a one of a kind in the roller coaster industry.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Not directly about F.L.Y. but Vekoma has completely revamped their website in preparation for IAAPA 18. This includes their new branding and logo and also... a "soon to be announced" next gen Flying coaster concept!

5SarQpT.png

https://www.vekoma.com/flying-coasters
10 rows of 2 seats just like the test train.
Must say the train in this concept art image looks great - really well styled/themed. They even have small wheel covers.
Makes me very intrigued to see what the theming of F.L.Y.'s trains will be like.

vaugc002

Mega Poster
From the Vekoma site copy for this new model:

"Thunderbird is a new, exciting and extremely smooth Suspended Thrill Coaster. This new suspended family coaster based design with no less than 2 inversions, 5 airtime hills and 6 exciting twists and turns makes it possible to offer inversions for young and old from 1.20 m tall and up. Combinations of high speed turns and low force inversions prepare the small riders for the real work. This ride will thrill the seasoned rollercoaster enthusiast, but is equally fun and accessible to the youngest among thrill seekers."

I enjoy that they have to emphasise it's smooth :D
Just one thing - how the hell is this a family coaster?!
In my opinion it's categorically not.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Yeah, we saw. The same stuff was posted in a few places, actually.

Given that FLY is going to be a new flying coaster from Vekoma, I don't see the issue in it being posted here too. The majority of the discussion will take place over there anyway, 'cos we've got so many walls to look at!

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Personally think that the train looks a bit ugly in that promo image. Hopefully there's options for customisation and stuff.

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
I think its best to count the right arms of the right passenger. There are clearly 10 rows. @marvin_99 not sure if you're trolling, because you put some random numbers in between rows

marvin_99

Roller Poster
I marked the wheel chassis of every row. Not trolling at all, there are clearly only 9 rows of passengers. I think you count the person in the last row on the left seat as a separate row. I see that the rendering looks there a little bit confusing, but again: Just count the wheels, then it's very obvious.