What's new

Best Halloween attractions 2018

Scottingtonville

Upstop Media
Staff member
Social Media Team
Only one I did was Halloween Horror Nights USF so it wins by default. But it’s also the best Halloween event I’ve ever attended. They really go all out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benenen

Hyper Poster
I went to Thorpe Park and Tulleys Farm this year. Fright Nights was poor (see my scathing review in the 'WTF Merlin?' topic) but Tulleys was fab.

It's my third year going now and even though the maze line up hasn't changed the event gets a little tighter and more professional feeling each year. Mazes are tweaked as well, Twisted Clowns saw a huge improvement in 2017 and this year The Cellar was much more intense and featured new disorientating strobe maze sections.

There's seven different mazes plus the hayride and unlike Thorpe majority of them are indoors (even the two outdoor attractions feature at least five minutes of indoor scenes). Personally I wasn't keen on Coven this year as the swamp scene didn't have enough fog so you could see through the lasers and I just don't find the witches scary, there's no real impact scares in this one. I'm also a bit bored of the hooded maze (forget what it's called now) having done it three times but I understand it adds variety to the line up.

Highlights this year were Chop Shop, Cellar and Colony. All were a good length, had outstanding theming and were genuinely frightening. The atmosphere is great at Tulleys too, very lively and kinetic feeling. Reminds me more of Reading Festival than any theme park.

I always want to try out more Halloween events but I struggle to find the motivation to do a long journey for just a few hours of attractions. Tulleys and Thorpe are easy for me as they're both within an hours drive but last year I made the three hour round trip to Dr Frights and found it really average which has put me off a bit. Maybe next year I'll make a little road trip of it and mix some theme parks in too. For those of you who do lots of events in October how do you do it?

Ben

CF Legend
Howl o Scream at BGT yayyyy so much scarier than HHN.

I didn’t actually get to do the mazes but acted in Tayto’s event which people really need to start taking seriously - two great mazes this year, Project Zero and Tomb of Shadows that wouldn’t look out it’ll place as a good Thorpe maze and a children’s multiscene show thing called Scary Tales which is actually ****ing terrifying.

My UK season has been a bit sad - Tulleys was meh, Screamland was crap, Broadwitch Hauntfest was fine, and Chessington I found to be bleh. Finishing it off at the BF’s event, Fear at Avon Valley though so know that’ll be good (not biased at all)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I've only been to HK Disney, and it was s**te this year.

I was going to go to Ocean Park's since I'd skipped the previous two years, then didn't bother.

I thought about a weekend in Singapore, then didn't bother.

I considered a Guangzhou weekend to check out Chimelong's Halloween offering and get the new cred, then didn't bother.

Halloween has been amazing this year.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
So far I've been to Thorpe, Hellendoorn, Toverland and Walibi Holland. Will be doing Lisebergs Halloween event this weekend too.

I seriously doubt anything will top Toverland though. They made it snow in a scare zone for christs sake! For overall atmosphere, Toverland was my favourite but Walibi Holland had the best mazes, as usual.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
I went to Thorpe Park and Tulleys Farm this year. Fright Nights was poor (see my scathing review in the 'WTF Merlin?' topic) but Tulleys was fab.

It's my third year going now and even though the maze line up hasn't changed the event gets a little tighter and more professional feeling each year. Mazes are tweaked as well, Twisted Clowns saw a huge improvement in 2017 and this year The Cellar was much more intense and featured new disorientating strobe maze sections.

There's seven different mazes plus the hayride and unlike Thorpe majority of them are indoors (even the two outdoor attractions feature at least five minutes of indoor scenes). Personally I wasn't keen on Coven this year as the swamp scene didn't have enough fog so you could see through the lasers and I just don't find the witches scary, there's no real impact scares in this one. I'm also a bit bored of the hooded maze (forget what it's called now) having done it three times but I understand it adds variety to the line up.

Highlights this year were Chop Shop, Cellar and Colony. All were a good length, had outstanding theming and were genuinely frightening. The atmosphere is great at Tulleys too, very lively and kinetic feeling. Reminds me more of Reading Festival than any theme park.

I always want to try out more Halloween events but I struggle to find the motivation to do a long journey for just a few hours of attractions. Tulleys and Thorpe are easy for me as they're both within an hours drive but last year I made the three hour round trip to Dr Frights and found it really average which has put me off a bit. Maybe next year I'll make a little road trip of it and mix some theme parks in too. For those of you who do lots of events in October how do you do it?
Tulleys looks incredible but the entrance fee puts me off. I understand there's a lot there and it is probably decent value for money, but £38 for a few hours is a bit excessive.

Dr Frights Halloween Nights in Northampton was the best I visited this year. £15 for 4 excellent mazes with incredible actors throughout.

Didn't bother with any of Merlin's offerings this year but from what I've seen it seems Fright Nights has been a disaster.