What's new

Top 10(ish): 2024 Edition - page 124

Samekuuu

Roller Poster
Since the season is getting near the end i want to adjust my list i made before the summer.
Some new credits came in and completely changed my list! I went from 83 credits to 103.

1: Taron: yea, what can i say about this ride. I just simply love it. The airtime is nice, i love the fast transitions and dont get me started about the theming. My first ever ride i had to cry due to the speed and just the whole experience made so much impression on me. Just is just a ride build for me, it has everything i want in a coaster (except for a nice heartline roll ;))

2: Leviathan: So i rode this for the first time in August. It was my first even B&M Giga and also the highest coaster i've ever ridden. My first ride was a front row and wooooooow! Those speeds are amazing! I couldn't get my face straight. Also this was the first time i was shocked of the height. i held my hands in the air, but when i was looking down those 93 meters i had to hold my Clamshell.

3: Behemoth: Behemoth had to prove hyper coaster for me. I rode Silver star in Europa-park but that was such a big let down. BUT THIS HYPER IS AMAZING!!!!! Great airtime hills, good forcefull dips and a good speed to it. I just love this ride to bits and the trains are super comfortable as well! Backrow for me!!!

4: Blue Fire: What to say about Blue Fire, meh launch, meh layout but just perfect inversions. The inversions make this ride good! The loop is nice as well as the zero-g rolls. but that last heartline roll.... best inversion on a coaster that i've experienced in my life yet!!!! that inversion is worth putting this ride this high!

5: Black Mamba: This is somewhat simular to Taron. I simply love the theming and getting all those near misses, the coaster itself isn't the strongest but the total package makes this so good and thats why i love it.

6: Monster: It's a hard choice to choose between this one and black mamba, are you going for the total package or the superior coaster? For me they share the spot honestly. Monster is the most intense ride i ever rode. As a coaster itself it would get in my top 3 but i just care to much about looks and this one is just on an open field. Such a shame for one of the best inverted coasters in Europe. A friend of mine got a bleeding nose of this ride due to it being so intense. It is a clone of Raptor in Cedar Point but Walygator didnt have enough money to put in the block brakes after the Cobra Roll. Due to that, the second half if the coaster is actually to fast and sooo intense. I almost blacked out on the last helix and thats why i love this ride.

7: Troy: Debatable the best coaster in the Netherlands. I grew up with this coaster. It has so much power and i simply love the fact that i can stay put in my seat and sit in this for 1 hour straight most of the time i'm in Toverland. Great ride, by far my favorite woodie (as a coaster). (the new music from IMAscore is amazing to).

8: Goliath (the one in Walibi Holland): Not that much to say about it. Certainly a backrow coaster and when you are on the back. Massive airtime is guarenteed.

9: Fenix: This was to much hyped up for me. I was in a Whatsapp group with Toverland-Fans and they just told me the ride was as good as Helix.... Well i knew this wasn't true but i still thought it would be very good. And yea, it is a good ride and possibly the best wing coaster in Europe. It was just not finished when i was there on opening day. Still a great ride and i really like it. But i dont like it as much as i wished for.

10: Wodan: The experience makes this ride. Love the station, and the pre-lift part. The ride itself is pretty good but i would have liked it to be a bit more intense. It was a bit forceless in mt opinion. Night time rides are very cool on this one to!

11: Lost gravity
12: Operation Enterprise
13: Anubis the ride
14: Pulsar
15: Silver star
16: Rockin' Rollercoaster
17: Psyke underground
18: Baron1898
19: Vortex
20: Gold Rush

Last edited:

Luca B

Mega Poster
This probably isn’t my final list for the year as I am going to Poland in October, but anyways my top 10 is:

1: Schwur Des Kärnan- this ride is just crazy, it is really intense, it has decent airtime and it feature many strange manoeuvres which provide unique forces, only adding to the intensity of the ride.

2: Fury 325- This Ride really shouldn’t be this high up, it isn’t the most intense and it doesn’t have the best airtime, but it is just so fun, so I can’t help but love it.

3: Wildfire- The only thing going for this ride is the first drop, the zero g stall and the outward banked 90 degree turn, which are all some of the best elements on any coaster, but after that it really tones down, which really worsens the ride for me.

4: Twisted Cyclone- This ride may not have the stats, but it is still incredible, every airtime moment is incredible, all the inversions are great, and the wave turn is also really fun.

5: Twisted Colossus- I had a tough time deciding between this and Twisted Cyclone, however this coaster just doesn’t have the quality of airtime of Twisted Cyclone, however it is still incredible, and it also an insane drop.

6: Thunderhead- People say this is rough. I really don’t understand, when I rode it earlier this year it was really smooth, and it is just a relentless ride, packed with intense turns and unexpected pops of airtime.

7: GhostRider- This coaster is incredible, it has one of my favourite drop, and the turn after the drop is incredible. And also, the drop out of the MCBR is just incredible. The reason this ride isn’t higher is because it doesn’t have the relentless intensity of Thunderhead.

8: X2- This Ride will probably move up more in future, as I only got one ride on it and that was front row on an outside seat, but it was still incredible. This coaster is so intense, and that first drop is just incredible.

9: Wodan- This Ride is incredible, the theming, the drop, the intensity and all the tunnels. However the problem with this ride is that the intense moments are not sustained, and when I rode it, it was quite rough.

10: Goliath- I’m honestly pretty surprised that a B&M hyper is in my top 10, as I’m not the biggest fan of them, but this ride is great. It has great floater, great intensity and a bit of ejector. It may not be relentless intensity it if is just a lot of fun.

Samekuuu

Roller Poster
This probably isn’t my final list for the year as I am going to Poland in October, but anyways my top 10 is:

1: Schwur Des Kärnan- this ride is just crazy, it is really intense, it has decent airtime and it feature many strange manoeuvres which provide unique forces, only adding to the intensity of the ride.

2: Fury 325- This Ride really shouldn’t be this high up, it isn’t the most intense and it doesn’t have the best airtime, but it is just so fun, so I can’t help but love it.

3: Wildfire- The only thing going for this ride is the first drop, the zero g stall and the outward banked 90 degree turn, which are all some of the best elements on any coaster, but after that it really tones down, which really worsens the ride for me.

4: Twisted Cyclone- This ride may not have the stats, but it is still incredible, every airtime moment is incredible, all the inversions are great, and the wave turn is also really fun.

5: Twisted Colossus- I had a tough time deciding between this and Twisted Cyclone, however this coaster just doesn’t have the quality of airtime of Twisted Cyclone, however it is still incredible, and it also an insane drop.

6: Thunderhead- People say this is rough. I really don’t understand, when I rode it earlier this year it was really smooth, and it is just a relentless ride, packed with intense turns and unexpected pops of airtime.

7: GhostRider- This coaster is incredible, it has one of my favourite drop, and the turn after the drop is incredible. And also, the drop out of the MCBR is just incredible. The reason this ride isn’t higher is because it doesn’t have the relentless intensity of Thunderhead.

8: X2- This Ride will probably move up more in future, as I only got one ride on it and that was front row on an outside seat, but it was still incredible. This coaster is so intense, and that first drop is just incredible.

9: Wodan- This Ride is incredible, the theming, the drop, the intensity and all the tunnels. However the problem with this ride is that the intense moments are not sustained, and when I rode it, it was quite rough.

10: Goliath- I’m honestly pretty surprised that a B&M hyper is in my top 10, as I’m not the biggest fan of them, but this ride is great. It has great floater, great intensity and a bit of ejector. It may not be relentless intensity it if is just a lot of fun.
Do you like wodan that much? It's a good ride don't get me wrong but it is really not that intense. For me it's a frontrow coaster but that is more for the views because that coasters best thing are its views (in my opinion at least). I dont say it's a bad ride, it's an amazing ride and i love riding it over and over. It is more of a suprise to see it this high up in someone's list.

Rob 92

Roller Poster
Do you like wodan that much? It's a good ride don't get me wrong but it is really not that intense. For me it's a frontrow coaster but that is more for the views because that coasters best thing are its views (in my opinion at least). I dont say it's a bad ride, it's an amazing ride and i love riding it over and over. It is more of a suprise to see it this high up in someone's list.

I think Wodan it still the best GCI woodie that I have ridden. It is the Nemesis of wooden coasters for me, relatively short but packs a punch from start to finish, phenomenal!

Snoo

The Legend
Since the season is getting near the end i want to adjust my list i made before the summer.
Some new credits came in and completely changed my list! I went from 83 credits to 103.

1: Taron: yea, what can i say about this ride. I just simply love it. The airtime is nice, i love the fast transitions and dont get me started about the theming. My first ever ride i had to cry due to the speed and just the whole experience made so much impression on me. Just is just a ride build for me, it has everything i want in a coaster (except for a nice heartline roll ;))

2: Leviathan: So i rode this for the first time in August. It was my first even B&M Giga and also the highest coaster i've ever ridden. My first ride was a front row and wooooooow! Those speeds are amazing! I couldn't get my face straight. Also this was the first time i was shocked of the height. i held my hands in the air, but when i was looking down those 93 meters i had to hold my Clamshell.

3: Behemoth: Behemoth had to prove hyper coaster for me. I rode Silver star in Europa-park but that was such a big let down. BUT THIS HYPER IS AMAZING!!!!! Great airtime hills, good forcefull dips and a good speed to it. I just love this ride to bits and the trains are super comfortable as well! Backrow for me!!!

4: Blue Fire: What to say about Blue Fire, meh launch, meh layout but just perfect inversions. The inversions make this ride good! The loop is nice as well as the zero-g rolls. but that last heartline roll.... best inversion on a coaster that i've experienced in my life yet!!!! that inversion is worth putting this ride this high!

5: Black Mamba: This is somewhat simular to Taron. I simply love the theming and getting all those near misses, the coaster itself isn't the strongest but the total package makes this so good and thats why i love it.

6: Monster: It's a hard choice to choose between this one and black mamba, are you going for the total package or the superior coaster? For me they share the spot honestly. Monster is the most intense ride i ever rode. As a coaster itself it would get in my top 3 but i just care to much about looks and this one is just on an open field. Such a shame for one of the best inverted coasters in Europe. A friend of mine got a bleeding nose of this ride due to it being so intense. It is a clone of Raptor in Cedar Point but Walygator didnt have enough money to put in the block brakes after the Cobra Roll. Due to that, the second half if the coaster is actually to fast and sooo intense. I almost blacked out on the last helix and thats why i love this ride.

7: Troy: Debatable the best coaster in the Netherlands. I grew up with this coaster. It has so much power and i simply love the fact that i can stay put in my seat and sit in this for 1 hour straight most of the time i'm in Toverland. Great ride, by far my favorite woodie (as a coaster). (the new music from IMAscore is amazing to).

8: Goliath (the one in Walibi Holland): Not that much to say about it. Certainly a backrow coaster and when you are on the back. Massive airtime is guarenteed.

9: Fenix: This was to much hyped up for me. I was in a Whatsapp group with Toverland-Fans and they just told me the ride was as good as Helix.... Well i knew this wasn't true but i still thought it would be very good. And yea, it is a good ride and possibly the best wing coaster in Europe. It was just not finished when i was there on opening day. Still a great ride and i really like it. But i dont like it as much as i wished for.

10: Wodan: The experience makes this ride. Love the station, and the pre-lift part. The ride itself is pretty good but i would have liked it to be a bit more intense. It was a bit forceless in mt opinion. Night time rides are very cool on this one to!

11: Lost gravity
12: Operation Enterprise
13: Anubis the ride
14: Pulsar
15: Silver star
16: Rockin' Rollercoaster
17: Psyke underground
18: Baron1898
19: Vortex
20: Gold Rush

Great to see more Behemoth love. It surprised the hell out of me, quickly became one of my favorite B&M Hypers for sure.

Peet

Giga Poster
12) Thundercoaster - Let’s talk about this coaster more!! This is probably the most underrated ride I’ve been on! Easily the best at Tusenfryd. It is quite rough, but it’s a relentless ride that is paced very well, has great laterals, and is an airtime machine! Also, enhanced by the location, and the second drop is wild.
Yes! It's so rare but pleasing to hear somebody else who loved this ride. I expect it was less good when it had Vekoma trains which may explain why people don't rate it.

Do you like wodan that much? It's a good ride don't get me wrong but it is really not that intense.
Ride it in the dark - amazing.

I’m honestly pretty surprised that a B&M hyper is in my top 10
Just to be pedantic - Fury 325 is a B&M Hyper too, just being over 300 ft doesn't mean it's not a Hyper :).

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Here is my latest Top 10 (through 30) after having ridden Storm Chaser, Lightning Run, and Valravn. It is my hope to still swing a visit to Holiday World and Dollywood yet this year, which would further impact and alter listings.

On Ravine Flyer II, I rode this three weeks ago, and while I still believe it to be one of the better wooden coasters out there, it still may not hold a #1 slot for me. Same as Marcus, I try not to move roller coasters around until riding them again. However, after having ridden RFII so close to other roller coasters (such as Storm Chaser), the sensation of "oneness" doesn't feel as strong. I'm confident something else works it's way there. Also partially worth mentioning I have dropped Diamondback further after repeated rattle-y rides.

1 Ravine Flyer II
2 Maverick
3 X2
4 Skyrush
5 Outlaw Run
6 Fury 325
7 Storm Chaser
8 Millennium Force
9 Top Thrill Dragster
10 Iron Rattler

11 New Texas Giant
12 Goliath (SFoG)
13 Storm Runner
14 Tatsu
15 Boardwalk Bullet
16 Banshee
17 Incredible Hulk
18 Thunderhead
19 Apocalypse the Ride
20 Afterburn

21 Magnum XL-200
22 American Thunder
23 The Beast
24 Lightning Run
25 Raptor
26 Great Bear
27 Patriot
28 Valravn
29 Prowler
30 Lightning Racer
So apparently I haven't updated rankings to this thread since 2016! Over that time, I've picked up a solid bit of roller coaster. So, without further adieu, at the end of 2018, my rankings have evolved this way over the last 2 years:

1 Steel Vengeance
2 Voyage

3 Storm Chaser
4 Maverick
5 X2
6 Outlaw Run
7 Skyrush
8 Fury 325
9 Intimidator 305
10 Ravine Flyer II

11 Millennium Force
12 Top Thrill Dragster
13 Twisted Timbers
14 Iron Rattler
15 New Texas Giant
16 Goliath
17 Storm Runner
18 Tatsu
19 Alpengeist
20 Diamondback

21 Banshee
22 Incredible Hulk
23 Thunderhead
24 Mystic Timbers
25 Apocalypse the Ride
26 Afterburn
27 Magnum XL-200
28 American Thunder
29 The Beast
30 Lightning Run

At the end of last year, The Voyage was a solid #1. It is exactly true: there is nothing like a night ride on that bad boy. This year however afforded a number of new rides, chief among them Steel Vengeance (a new clear-cut number one) and Intimidator (my #200). Both are phenomenal roller coasters in their own right, and really caused some toss up in my top-10, including the (sad fanboy moment) dropping of MF and TTD from my Top 10. Flanking behind the Top 10, new rides include:

13. Twisted Timbers - A ride that definitely delivers, albeit not as aggressive as Storm Chaser, novel as Outlaw Run, nor large as Steel Vengeance. It's definitely testament to RMC's incrementalism for Iron Horse however, and a better conversion than it's OG predecessors (Iron Rattler and NTG).

19. Alpengeist - Holy ****. Just when I thought Banshee was as intense as it could get on an inverted, this 1996 throwback is true testament to the old days of B&M giving literally zero ****s. The layout, stance within the park, and epically large inversions are something special.

24. Mystic Timbers - Oh hey! I rode this last year! I still find this a solid addition to Kings Island. A bigger, better version of Prowler, it's a true sign that the wooden out-and-back coaster still has a place in the modern era.

Snoo

The Legend
As my season is over (besides a visit to Dollywood in November), here is my end of year Top 30! I haven't posted since I added Steel Vengeance however! One more surprise (that I rode with Hyde actually):

1 Steel Vengeance - Cedar Point
2 Lightning Rod - Dollywood
3 Boulder Dash - Lake Compounce
4 El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure
5 Goliath - Six Flags Great America
6 Wildfire - Kolmarden
7 Voyage - Holiday World
8 Outlaw Run - Silver Dollar City
9 Storm Chaser - Kentucky Kingdom
10 Ravine Flyer II - Waldameer

11 Maverick - Cedar Point
12 Phoenix - Knoebels
13 Cornball Express - Indiana Beach
14 Banshee - Kings Island
15 Afterburn - Carowinds
16 Boardwalk Bullet - Kemah Boardwalk
17 Wicked Cyclone - Six Flags New England
18 Top Thrill Dragster - Cedar Point
19 Superman The Ride - Six Flags New England
20 Lightning Run - Kentucky Kingdom
21 X2 - Six Flags Magic Mountain
22 Behemoth - Canada's Wonderland
23 Tatsu - Six Flags Magic Mountain
24 Mystic Timbers - Kings Island
25 Prowler - Worlds of Fun
26 Leviathan - Canada's Wonderland
27 Fury 325 - Carowinds
28 Thunderbird - Holiday World
29 Superman Krypton Coaster - Six Flags Fiesta Texas
30 SkyRush - HersheyPark

Mystic Timbers is now my new favorite GCI. That bad boy reminds me of how Prowler USED to be. Also riding it at night helped as I hadn't seen a POV in years. Rode all over with the lovely Hyde. Next new cred? Maybe something we find in Dollywood? Until next year tho.. slim pickings.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Posted my new top 10 to my trip report but might as well put it here too.

1.Taron
2.Beast
3.Maverick
4.Skyrush
5. Millennium Force
6. Top Thrill Dragster
7. El Toro (sfgadv)

8. Karnan
9. Montu
10. Storm Runner

New entries from my 2018 USA Trip in bold.
I think I like intamin.

Last edited:

Bedholm

Roller Poster
Finished another trip to Europe and more European rides crept into the top tier of my rankings. Surprises for me being Helix and Shambhala. I knew Helix was good but top 10 in the world quality was a shock for me. Shambhala being a huge shock as I've never been overly impressed by any B&M hyper but it was amazing, much better than I expected a B&M hyper ever could be. New for year creds will be bold and new for the trip will be bold and italicized. As an end note I felt by the end of 2 trips spanning most of Europe the diversity and arguably the quality of the European coasters exceeded that of those in North America. North American goes through too many phases were X ride becomes over saturated, while in Europe it didn't feel that way.
  1. Expedition GeForce
  2. El Toro
  3. Voyage
  4. Skyrush
  5. Taron
  6. Wildfire
  7. Helix
  8. Phoenix
  9. Lightning Rod
  10. X2
  11. Piraten
  12. Maverick
  13. Twisted Colossus
  14. Hyperion
  15. iSpeed
  16. Iron Rattler
  17. Millennium Force
  18. Montu
  19. Nemesis
  20. Shambhala
  21. Balder
  22. Lech Coaster
  23. Katun
  24. Timber Terror
  25. Tremors
  26. Raven
  27. Renegade
  28. Wicked Cyclone
  29. Intimidator 305
  30. Kumba

Snoo

The Legend
Posted my new too 10 to my trip report but might as well put it here too.

1.Taron
2.Beast
3.Maverick
4.Skyrush
5. Millennium Force
6. Top Thrill Dragster
7. El Toro (sfgadv)

8. Karnan
9. Montu
10. Storm Runner

New entries from my 2018 USA Trip in bold.
I think I like intamin.

We can't be friends.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
As an end note I felt by the end of 2 trips spanning most of Europe the diversity and arguably the quality of the European coasters exceeded that of those in North America.

Interesting to hear. I can see the diversity argument. Here in North America we have a lot chain parks, and if you travel to enough of them you can definitely feel A LOT of homogeneity.

But the quality argument is harder to buy. You really think Europe has more world-class coasters than North America? More, say, 8s, 9s, and 10s out of ten?

(Just asking. Not that I think there’s a correct answer here. All subjective, etc., etc.)

Snoo

The Legend
1.Steel Vengenance
2. Maverick
3. T Express(My Profile pic.)
4. Steel Dragon 2000

5. Wildfire
6. The Flying Dinosaur
7. Do-Dodonpa
8. Phaethon
(South Korea)
9. Takabisha
10.Griffon and Draken

How has T Express aged? I haven't heard from that coaster in years but back then and now today it still looked incredible.

Bedholm

Roller Poster
Interesting to hear. I can see the diversity argument. Here in North America we have a lot chain parks, and if you travel to enough of them you can definitely feel A LOT of homogeneity.

But the quality argument is harder to buy. You really think Europe has more world-class coasters than North America? More, say, 8s, 9s, and 10s out of ten?

(Just asking. Not that I think there’s a correct answer here. All subjective, etc., etc.)
10 of out of my top 23 are European but account that I've ridden over 2 times as many US coasters. So maybe quality over quantity argument can be applied here. I think a lot of it has to do with me being a huge intamin fan and being burnt out by RMC. The intamin collection in Europe is quite a bit better than that in the US IMO. Also, Europe has higher quality B&Ms on average and Macks, unlike the US, had for so long. The gap between the 2 isn't that big and comes down to preferences. I prefer the European steel collection yet the US wood collection is still far superior.

Snoo

The Legend
10 of out of my top 23 are European but account that I've ridden over 2 times as many US coasters. So maybe quality over quantity argument can be applied here. I think a lot of it has to do with me being a huge intamin fan and being burnt out by RMC. The intamin collection in Europe is quite a bit better than that in the US IMO. Also, Europe has higher quality B&Ms on average and Macks, unlike the US, had for so long. The gap between the 2 isn't that big and comes down to preferences. I prefer the European steel collection yet the US wood collection is still far superior.

I would like to expand on this to say you typically see more rides per park, especially of lesser quality, in the states they you do in comparison to Europe. Many parks here range from 10-15 coasters with only really 1-2 being upper teir while Europe mostly has 5 or less at what most would consider a major park and with 1-2 of those being quality (varies obviously), it can definitely help the quantity vs quality element of that thought process.

And while I've only been to a select few European parks, someone agree on the steel (depends on what you're looking at as well as preferences as you noted) and DEFINITELY agree on the wood quality. Big shame more wood couldn't take off over there because small woodies (HAHA KID JOKES) are certainly in plentiful supply here while you can only find a literal handful in the entirety of Europe.

It hasn't aged like Colossos, put it that way.

Well that's good. I've been wondering as I'm still looking to get back to El Toro at SFGAdv and I wonder. As I'm planning on Japan in 2020.. I was wondering if a quick jump to Seoul would be worth it as that has always been a bucket lister.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
And after Poland:
1 - Skyrush
2 - Wicked Cyclone
3 - Formula Rossa
4 - Bizarro (SFNE)
5 - Hyperion
6 - Colossos
7 - Sliver Star
8 - Taron
9 - Oziris
10- Formula

So - it's goodbye Nemesis and hello to a couple of Polish gems! Hyperion was great - fantastic depending on the seat, and formula was just sweet, fun and very whorable. Lech is just too intense, and a little rattly to be a top 10.

Karnan might be worth going back in, but I need to reride to see!

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Bandit is kicked to the curb as ICON causes a slight reshuffle. Really enjoyed it. If football wasn't coming home I'd have time in the evenings to write a proper review.

1. Helix
2. Taron
3. Wildfire
4. Karnan
5. ICON
6. Lost Gravity
7. Balder
8. Shock
9. Katun
10. Troy

1. Helix
2. Taron
3. Wildfire
4. Hyperion
5. Karnan
6. Icon
7. Lost Gravity
8. Balder
9. Katun

Hyperion comes in at number 4, my top 5 are essentially separated by tiny little things that are interchangeable depending on my mood. The coaster itself was pretty special, it’s the tallest I’ve been on so the drop was pretty special, as was the airtime and rest of the layout.

As @caffeine_demon said Lech was a little too intense for me, it was an outstanding ride but not one that I could fully enjoy because of the amount of force and the vest restraints. Remove the vests and it could theoretically make top 10 but curently it probably sits in my Top 20