What's new

M&D's announce £3 Million Expansion.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Not sure quite how they can afford this but a new expansion and new coaster seems to be coming to M&D's in Scotland.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/3204071/mds-theme-park-expansion-jobs/

BIGGER DIPPER
M&D’s theme park gets green light for huge £3m expansion including new roller coaster and pirate play area
Bosses banking on new ride and larger hotel to pull in punters while all-weather dome could host large events including car rallies and Highland Games

By Richard Pidgeon
13th September 2018, 4:46 pm
Updated: 13th September 2018, 5:40 pm
THEME park bosses have been given the go-ahead for a huge expansion at M&D’s.

Around 90 new jobs will be created and £3million will be splashed on an all-weather dome, additional events space and a major new ride.

The Alona Hotel will be expanded with 37 extra rooms, plus a new spa and treatment room area for pampering sessions.

Matthew Taylor, Director at M&D’s Scotland’s Theme Park, revealed that the upgrade will allow the park to host large-scale events such as car rallies, steam fairs and Highland Games.

Speaking after getting the green light from North Lanarkshire Council, he said: “We are delighted that our plans have been approved.

“Our vision to extend includes an investment of around £3million which will include upgrades to The Alona Hotel, creating a bespoke events area and an all-weather dome.”

Artist’s drawing shows new rollercoaster and pirate-themed area

He continued: “We will also add a new ride and further landscaping to ensure that our plans are in keeping with týhe surrounding Strathclyde Country Park.

“In recent years we have seen more and more visitors coming from Northern Ireland and the North of England. We are confident that our plans will attract visitors from even further afield.

As one of Lanarkshire’s biggest employers, our plans would also include creating an additional 90 full and part time permanent jobs helping to boost the local economy even further. We hope to start work early next year.”

M&D’s made headlines in May when it celebrated the Royal wedding by inviting anyone with the same name as the Prince and his bride-to-be to visit the theme park free of charge.

As part of the new expansion plan, an as yet unnamed new ride will join popular attractions including glow-in-the-dark ten pin bowling at Cosmic Bowl, Devil’s Island Golf and Scotland’s only indoor tropical rainforest, Amazonia

Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
With an announced budget of £3 million for the entire expansion, including an all-weather dome and more event space, I'd be surprised if the new coaster was as big as a Vekoma Junior coaster, even a second-hand one. At least the park has got the Big Apple and Spinner clones already covered, so I doubt it will be another one of those, but I don't think this new addition will revitalize the UK coaster scene either.

Will

Strata Poster
The way the track goes in the artwork screams 'Gerst' at me, but obviously, that's not much to go on.
I know I'm weird, but I'd be quite happy to have a reason to head back up there :)

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
I like the way the video on that article is says that CWs new coaster will be the tallest and fastest in the world, when it isn't even the tallest and fastest in the park!

lachlan

Mega Poster
The way the track goes in the artwork screams 'Gerst' at me, but obviously, that's not much to go on.
I know I'm weird, but I'd be quite happy to have a reason to head back up there :)
Anything would be an improvement for the coaster scene in Scotland! But I don't see how £3 million will cover a hotel expansion, all weather some, play area and have money to spare for a new roller coaster.

Is it possible M&D's will bring in one of their travelling coasters again?

Lofty

CF Legend
Have you even seen the other coasters on that diagram? They look absolutely balls all like the others there ;)

I hope the new coaster will be something substantial.
I don't. I don't want to revisit this **** hole

lachlan

Mega Poster
I'm sure you all know already, but there is a credit at Landmark near Aviemore. Beautiful part of the country and well worth a visit!

There's more to Scotland than theme parks:)

Lofty

CF Legend
Ladies and gentlemen, the British theme park industry.
Have you been to the park? I'd genuinely say there are two actively bad parks in the UK that no matter what their investments will be, will not improve the atmosphere created by the local clientele, general bad management or the fact they've gone too far to come back from. This and Oakwood.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Have you been to the park? I'd genuinely say there are two actively bad parks in the UK that no matter what their investments will be, will not improve the atmosphere created by the local clientele, general bad management or the fact they've gone too far to come back from. This and Oakwood.

THEN add the fact (surprised no one has mentioned this) A ****ING VEHICLE FLEW OFF THE TRACKS OF ONE OF THEIR RIDES. litterally came off the tracks at full speed, all of it. IMO it was the most shocking accident in terms of ride maintenance I've ever seen. a ride car is practically clamped to the track, so even if a wheel failed, it would remain on. But it fully fell off, it's also shocking that no1 died.

Why is there no reassurance of safety within that article. Is this just going to be brushed aside while The Smiler gets mentioned till the end of time.

I'm all for new coasters, but not here.

Matt N

CF Legend
Why Oakwood, out of interest? I know that the park’s operations and Fastrack policy aren’t brilliant at all, but I personally found the place to have real charm, and Megafobia and Speed are both fantastic coasters, in my opinion!