What's new

Least talked about coasters

Pear

Strata Poster
The size of the country is near the size as all of Europe
That's quite a big understatement.

1902d1377276096-hello-belgium-fireshot-screen-capture-006-europe-us-country-size-comparison-map-how-big-europe-compared.jpg

sandgrown

Mega Poster
Americans don't travel is such bull :emoji_poop:. The size of the country is near the size as all of Europe. Just because it's one country doesn't mean we don't travel, but hey, we're all :emoji_zipper_mouth:ing ignorant and don't wanna leave.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think "travel" in the context people say this refers to international travel, so it isn't bull**** to say that. Only 42% of Americans have passports compared to 83% of Britons, and the figure was as low as 10% just 20 years ago. Between 60% and 70% of Australians have passports - in a place which is also the size of Europe and drifting alone in the middle of an Ocean.
So, it is indeed cultural.

Y. Kim

Mega Poster
Goliath at La Ronde. It's a great B&M that no one talks about (if i had to guess because no one wants to remember anything positive about La Ronde)

Here's another B&M that no one talks about
Phaethon in Gyeongju World is really good(#3 invert for me) B&M invert, but the location is pretty bad(but my home park) and no one talks about it.
htm_20180430154022545292.jpg
As people are sometimes talking about this new B&M Dive coaster,
One good B&M invert is not talked.
upload_2018-9-8_15-8-37.jpeg

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Afterburn at Carowinds. One of, if not my favorite B&M Invert (have a hard time deciding between it and Banshee) yet you only hear about it when people ride it then never again. It's in my Top 15 and I rave about it constantly.
In my experience with enthusiasts, Afterburn is probably the most common number one for North American inverts. Along with Montu and Banshee, but more common than even those two.

Snoo

The Legend
In my experience with enthusiasts, Afterburn is probably the most common number one for North American inverts. Along with Montu and Banshee, but more common than even those two.

Well aren't you just the lucky one. :p

I mean, to be fair, if you want to talk about a good class of coaster not talked about regularly anymore, I would say the B&M Invert fits that bill as not many new ones have been built on top of the Gigas overshadowing essentially all other B&M designs. I've ALWAYS favored Inverts as my favorite B&M type but of course, that's me and I have a feeling I may be in the minority in that point as I'm not a huge fan of Hypers.

I think "travel" in the context people say this refers to international travel, so it isn't bull:emoji_poop: to say that. Only 42% of Americans have passports compared to 83% of Britons, and the figure was as low as 10% just 20 years ago. Between 60% and 70% of Australians have passports - in a place which is also the size of Europe and drifting alone in the middle of an Ocean.
So, it is indeed cultural.

To be honest, I know it will be cliche, but there is a **** ton to do in the States proper. In a lot of cases, you could just drive a few hours and experience a people different then you in a lot of ways short of language (which can still depend on where you go in some cases in the South and West). I know numerous Europeans who've made numerous trips across the USA for several weeks and only hit 10 states. Having lived here my whole life, I'm still missing chunks of the West and NE and South.

Of course, comparing the USA to island nations isn't quite fair though. Swapping situations, I know I would have had my passport much sooner and more friends would as well as to leave the country, depending on where you go, would require a passport. But traveling that same distance in the states (Say NYC to LA), you wouldn't. Also.. Australia has LARGE swafts of uninhabited land that really can't be inhabited in some cases while the USA doesn't to some extent depending on where you go of course.

I know though, excuses excuses excuses.. typical American.. but having experienced it myself (as well as having a passport), the situations don't exactly match, especially given the "ease" of travel to Canada and Mexico and not always "requirement" of a passport for both (For Canada, you don't NEED a passport to travel there for example).

Last edited:

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
For me the least talked about coaster in the UK is our 3rd tallest coaster; the 2nd tallest full-circuit inverted coaster in the World. And it barely ever gets a mention - maybe because it's such an ordeal to ride, I still love it though!
Took me a while to work out what that was. Yes those things are too forgettable.

Phaethon in Gyeongju World is really good(#3 invert for me) B&M invert, but the location is pretty bad(but my home park) and no one talks about it.
Trip report incoming. Let's talk.

In answer to the topic, Asia in general.

sandgrown

Mega Poster
Well aren't you just the lucky one. :p

I mean, to be fair, if you want to talk about a good class of coaster not talked about regularly anymore, I would say the B&M Invert fits that bill as not many new ones have been built on top of the Gigas overshadowing essentially all other B&M designs. I've ALWAYS favored Inverts as my favorite B&M type but of course, that's me and I have a feeling I may be in the minority in that point as I'm not a huge fan of Hypers.

To be honest, I know it will be cliche, but there is a :emoji_zipper_mouth: ton to do in the States proper. In a lot of cases, you could just drive a few hours and experience a people different then you in a lot of ways short of language (which can still depend on where you go in some cases in the South and West). I know numerous Europeans who've made numerous trips across the USA for several weeks and only hit 10 states. Having lived here my whole life, I'm still missing chunks of the West and NE and South.

Of course, comparing the USA to island nations isn't quite fair though. Swapping situations, I know I would have had my passport much sooner and more friends would as well as to leave the country, depending on where you go, would require a passport. But traveling that same distance in the states (Say NYC to LA), you wouldn't. Also.. Australia has LARGE swafts of uninhabited land that really can't be inhabited in some cases while the USA doesn't to some extent depending on where you go of course.

I know though, excuses excuses excuses.. typical American.. but having experienced it myself (as well as having a passport), the situations don't exactly match, especially given the "ease" of travel to Canada and Mexico and not always "requirement" of a passport for both (For Canada, you don't NEED a passport to travel there for example).
Nice answer. Much appreciated.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I mean, to be fair, if you want to talk about a good class of coaster not talked about regularly anymore, I would say the B&M Invert fits that bill as not many new ones have been built on top of the Gigas overshadowing essentially all other B&M designs.
Their sit-down loopers have it even worse. Only five were ever built, and none in the last decade. The floorless model was more successful, but even then only two have been built in the past 12 years, both of them in Asia. The remaining 11 (not counting conversions or relocations) were all built over a six-year period between 1999 and 2005.

It really seems like B&M only sells Hypers, Wing Coasters and Dive Machines nowadays, with the occasional Invert or Flyer thrown in, but to be fair they've pretty much got a market monopoly for Wings and DMs, and no real challengers on the Flyer scene until now either. Sit-down coasters can be bought much cheaper from other manufacturers, and sooner or later somebody will figure out how to build them without floors too.

Snoo

The Legend
Their sit-down loopers have it even worse. Only five were ever built, and none in the last decade. The floorless model was more successful, but even then only two have been built in the past 12 years, both of them in Asia. The remaining 11 (not counting conversions or relocations) were all built over a six-year period between 1999 and 2005.

It really seems like B&M only sells Hypers, Wing Coasters and Dive Machines nowadays, with the occasional Invert or Flyer thrown in, but to be fair they've pretty much got a market monopoly for Wings and DMs, and no real challengers on the Flyer scene until now either. Sit-down coasters can be bought much cheaper from other manufacturers, and sooner or later somebody will figure out how to build them without floors too.

Funny, we talk about least talked about and I neglect another model that is definitely great. I just don't see the sit down looper, regardless of model, really huge out there. The economy for unique experiences have been surging, which is why you see RMC and others taking the markets share.

TMCoasters

Mega Poster
No one ever talks about Thundercoaster at Tusenfryd, and for the life of me I can't figure out why. Despite being rough around the edges, it has so many bright spots. I went into the ride expected an extremely rough wooden roller coaster with a fair amount of airtime to offset the roughness, such that it would still be my second favorite at the park. A large part of me doubted that it would make my top 10 wooden roller coasters. A lot of these preconceived notions were based upon the VERY limited feedback that I have managed to find on this ride. On my first ride I first noticed the OBNOXIOUSLY loud lift hill. The bottom of the first drop was probably the roughest part of the ride as well, so it didn't get off to the best start. I was impressed overall by the first ride though. At this point I felt that it was on par with Speed Monster, but every ride it felt faster and fell in love more and more. Honestly I think that my judgement was hazed by the terrible, albeit limited, reviews that I heard prior to riding. By the end of the day, 14 rides later, this ride had become one of my favorite wooden coasters. And personally it ranks for me as my 5th favorite wooden roller coaster, as crazy as it may sound. I really enjoyed it more than the likes of Outlaw Run, Balder, and Phoenix.
The first drop has a small dose of floater airtime laterals and the following turn has severe shuffling. As I said before, it doesn't wow in the opening moments. However that all changes when it roars back through the structure and into the Phantom's Revenge-esque second drop. There are a solid three second of borderline ejector airtime here. Along the rest of the ride there are MANY more strong moments of airtime. I mean this is an EJECTOR airtime filled ride. Thundercoaster is also loaded with strong laterals. On top of this it sits on a beautiful plot of land and is paced to perfection! The three hill finale delivers some of the strongest airtime on the entire ride, which provides clear evidence that Thundercoaster never lets up, until it SLAMS into the brakes. Even the brake run is forceful. I won't lie, it's not a smooth ride by any stretch of the imagination, but it never takes much away from the ride nor is it painful in any way. The roughness makes it even more insane; the out of control sensation that it possesses is comparable to my personal favorite wooden coaster Boulder Dash. I urge anyone to get out to Norway and Tusenfryd, because this coaster alone is worth it in my book.