What's new

Rank the Intamin Launch Coasters

Benenen

Hyper Poster
1. Taron - The obvious number one out of the small selection I've ridden. I rode this over and over without leaving my seat on one of the Winter hotel ERTs and I couldn't get enough. It's smooth, comfortable and re-rideable while still feeling intense which Intamin haven't nailed with many of their other launches.
2. Stealth - This has the best launch by far so earns a high spot on the list. If you catch it near the front on a good day you get some really intense airtime leading into the crest of the hill which lasts all the way down. It's a great sensation while 60m in the air. Most of the time there's barely any airtime though.
3. iSpeed - Rode this back row first thing in the morning and I was disappointed. It moves forward slowly before it launches so the initial kick is nothing compared to the cable ones and I didn't find the hills to have much air. Then I rode it nearer the front later in the afternoon and it clicked with me, this isn't a ride about launches or airtime, it's about those nasty transitions and that absurdly fast barrel roll halfway round. Up until the MCBR iSpeed holds up the pacing so well and nearer the front there were some very abrupt moments of ejector. It's not the most comfortable rides but I can't think of many other coasters that feel as wild and out of control.
4. Cheetah Hunt - I love long coasters and this has a great variety of elements. If this had Taron style lap bars I'd probably prefer it to iSpeed.
5. Kanonen - Really underrated. Even though the top speed is low the launch is punchier than the LSM coasters I've ridden and the layout has some nice direction changes and little pops of airtime. The drawn out in-line twist at the end ruins it a bit though.
6. V2 Vertical Velocity (SFDK) - Feels more like a flat ride but I really enjoyed this. I love the feeling you get while going up the back spike and if you're sitting in the row which stops upside down on the forward section then it feels quite trippy. I'm a big fan of rides that have a completely different experience depending on where you sit so I had a blast re-riding this in different seats.
7. Rita - This used to be my least favourite Towers coaster but each time I visit I appreciate it a little more. The launch is fairly good and there's some alright airtime on the first hill. Rest of the coaster doesn't do much and I think it's really ugly how the whole thing is above the footpaths. It's like someone was placing a saved layout in on RCT then raised the whole thing a few metres before clicking construct. Just looks wrong.
8. Furious Baco - Great launch but the rest is a chore. I like the wing seating but it's negated by having to figure out the exact position to have my head in so it's not smashing against the harness.

Annoyingly I could have had Dreamworlds Tower of Terror 2 on the list but I was ten and pussied out.

Last edited:

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
So I've voted for Taron as it's my number one but for launch alone probably top thrill?
General order for things:

Taron
Maverick
Top Thrill Dragster
Storm Runner
Kingda Ka
Red Force
Cheetah Hunt (really like this cred though, think it's underrated)
Desert Race/Rita/Stealth
Furius Baco
Impulses? Not sure they fit with the list but they're decent for what they are)

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I prefer Maverick to Taron.... I think I just prefer the more varied layout; the fact it can have a great drop, launch, inversions and airtime hills all-thrown in. Plus, I find the transitions to be more aggressive on Maverick tbh. Both come even more alive at night, that’s for sure, but I still prefer Mav :eek:

Maverick
Taron
iSpeed
Storm Runner
Xcelerator
Top Thrill Dragster
Stealth
Red Force
Juvelen
Tornado (Bakken)
Volcano - The Blast Coaster
Speed Monster
Impulse Coasters
California Screamin’
Kanonen
Desert Race
Cheetah Hunt
Rita
Superman: Escape from Krypton
Kingda Ka
Furious Baco

The bottom two are absolute tripe.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Taron
iSpeed
Superman Escape
Formula Rossa
Stealth
Turbo Track
Rita
Mick Doohan's Motocoaster
Furius Baco
Tower of Terror II
Superman: Escape from Krypton

There's a few fantastic coasters in there, but on average they're surprisingly ****. The bottom three are some of the worst coasters I've done, urgh...

DelPiero

Strata Poster
1 - Taron - Easily the best of the bunch
2 - Maverick - I love this ride, recently made even better with the padded restraints
3 - Storm Runner - Although TTD has the better launch and height, SR's layout rocks and pips it slightly
4 - Top Thrill Dragster - Best Launch ever
5 - Juvelen - Tyre launch but thought I'd put it in anyway, brilliant family launch coaster, love it
6 - Red Force - It's fast, launch is good until the wobble at the base of the tower
7 - Furius Baco - So, in the front row this is fab, the launch is incredible, it's a little rough but my god that launch. In the back row it's the worst though, so ranks middle-ish of the launchers
8 - Stealth - Great launch, good airtime, just done better
9 - Impulses (Vertical Velocity, Steel Venom, Possessed and Wicked Twister) - All decent, the ones with the holding brake are especially good
10 - Kingda Ka - Has to go somewhere I guess
11 - Cheetah Hunt - It was fun, but I have no desire to ride it again
12 - Avatar Airbender - Plenty of airtime at the top of the spikes but not a fan of the spinning
13 - Desert Race - Slightly less rough Rita
14 - Rita - Rough and no airtime
15 - Kanonen - Pointless launch, awful restraints, awful transitions and hanging inversions, quite simply a piece of crap.

vaugc002

Mega Poster
2 - Maverick - I love this ride, recently made even better with the padded restraints
3 - Storm Runner - Although TTD has the better launch and height, SR's layout rocks and pips it slightly
5 - Juvelen - Tyre launch but thought I'd put it in anyway, brilliant family launch coaster, love it
6 - Red Force - It's fast, launch is good until the wobble at the base of the tower
7 - Furius Baco - So, in the front row this is fab, the launch is incredible, it's a little rough but my god that launch. In the back row it's the worst though, so ranks middle-ish of the launchers
9 - Impulses (Vertical Velocity, Steel Venom, Possessed and Wicked Twister) - All decent, the ones with the holding brake are especially good
12 - Avatar Airbender - Plenty of airtime at the top of the spikes but not a fan of the spinning
15 - Kanonen - Pointless launch, awful restraints, awful transitions and hanging inversions, quite simply a piece of crap.

Damn you've done so many :emoji_fearful:. Definite goals right there.
I'm glad the wobble on Red Force wasn't just me - kinda uncomfortable.

shaunthatkid

Mega Poster
i got some airtime on rita

Peet

Giga Poster
^^ Agreed there is a rough patch at the end of the launch, I don't really mind it though.

I never thought I'd be defending Rita but it is not rough at all, and has more airtime than any of the other Intamin launch coasters I've done.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
^^ Agreed there is a rough patch at the end of the launch, I don't really mind it though.

I never thought I'd be defending Rita but it is not rough at all, and has more airtime than any of the other Intamin launch coasters I've done.
Respectfully disagree, Stealth for example actually has great airtime, floater into the top hat at the front, ejector at the back coming down the top hat and ejector into the brakes. The only airtime on Rita I've ever felt was a weak pop of ejector into the brakes, nothing on the "twisted airtime hill" at all.

vaugc002

Mega Poster
Respectfully disagree, Stealth for example actually has great airtime, floater into the top hat at the front, ejector at the back coming down the top hat and ejector into the brakes. The only airtime on Rita I've ever felt was a weak pop of ejector into the brakes, nothing on the "twisted airtime hill" at all.

I don't like offering my opinion usually because I've ridden far less coasters than most.
But in this case it's an interesting one because I would have said Rita has strong airtime.
Certainly last year my shoulders were pushed into the harness over the hills.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I don't like offering my opinion usually because I've ridden far less coasters than most.
But in this case it's an interesting one because I would have said Rita has strong airtime.
Certainly last year my shoulders were pushed into the harness over the hills.
Fair enough, I haven't ridden Rita for 2 or 3 years now, but I'll be sure to when I next visit, but I don't recall any airtime previously, just drawn out corners with a bit of positives and a slightly sharp corner after the launch.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
1 - Maverick Great mix of airtime, snappy twists and forceful turns! The Stengel Dives stand out in particular.
2 - Taron Fab theming of course, and many really exciting twists, but the end of the first half is kinda weak. Gets super fun with re-rides however!
3 - Top Thrill Dragster Incredible launch and speed, some good airtime on the Top Hat (front row at least), and lap bars!
4 - Stealth Same as above, but 1/2 smaller and with OTSR :s
5 - Yukon Quad
The second half is really good, especially for a 'family' coaster! Forceful and twisty. Lacks airtime though.
6 - Desert Race Looks decent on paper, and has a good hydraulic launch, but the airtime/twistyness is not nearly as good as it should be.
7 - Rita Same as above, but somehow slightly less exciting.
8 - Wicked Twister Decent launch, but the whole back and forth thing... isn't very exciting imo.