What's new

SeaWorld Orlando | Infinity Falls | River Rapids

Ethan

Strata Poster
I want to say yes, but hasn't it been testing for quite some time? Not sure if they're still having issues with it, as in that video I shared on the last page, they drain the ride again after a little bit of testing.

Pear

Strata Poster
I talked with Midway Mayhem last Wednesday and he said that by then they had only completed 2 full test runs of the ride.

Snoo

The Legend
Well poop

I mean I'm surprised but I'm not? The ride isn't exactly a run of the mill installation and it has been delayed for some time and given the technical issues in other rides that were "experimental" in a way, patience is definitely a virtue.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
While at the park yesterday, did see a few boats run and testing of the drop/lift. Local guide was implying it may still be a few weeks. Looked beautiful from what we could see. They have done a great job in regards to filling the area with vegetation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Lofty

CF Legend
There's always such issues with water rides, too. You just need to look at other water rides in history to understand that they're highly likely going to experience some form of technical issue - especially something of this nature.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
There's always such issues with water rides, too. You just need to look at other water rides in history to understand that they're highly likely going to experience some form of technical issue - especially something of this nature.
The problem is that water is chaotic and, crucially, rather heavy.

It's predictable in the sense that it will flow downhill, but quite how it does that and how fast it goes and how turbulent it is is not particularly easy to work out (the equations that tell us this stuff are famously unsolved - we can just do half-decent approximations - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navier–Stokes_equations).

The problem is that it carries a lot of momentum, and so makes it difficult to work with and it'll bite if it goes wrong.

Throw some large rafts and great big 'elements' in to the mix and you've got an awful lot of uncertainty in your design, which means a lot of testing, a lot of tweaking, and a lot of faff. Especially if that tweaking requires the water to be drained down each time.

Lot of sympathy, and respect, for the engineers trying to pull this off.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Springboarding off of @tomahawk's and @Hixee's posts - considering that this will be such a high intensity water ride when it opens, they should take all the time they need to ensure it's safe. In person, the ride looks wild from the little bit you can see - HUGE rapids. Riders are going to get soaked on this.

Kozmo

Roller Poster
will infinity falls open before tigris.......... lmao they need to hurry up :emoji_neutral_face::emoji_neutral_face::emoji_neutral_face: