What's new

Cringe Worthy Non Coaster Enthusiast Comments you have heard

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
As a ride host, I found enthusiasts to be far, FAR worse than the general public. The general public doesn't need, nor want to know, everything about every ride ever built. They don't care about what each element is called. They don't care about stats. They don't even know that there might be a small amusement park the next town over because they don't care.
Enthusiasts, on the other hand, want people in line to know all the different rides and places they've been to. They wear shirts from a park that's in a different state/country than the one they're currently in. They want to be asked about their knowledge, they want to play the one-up on everyone around them. Oh, I've been on 1,045 different rides! This park is just terrible because they don't invest in a giga dive invert. Who cares that they're a small, family-run amusement park. They have the space to build it! They can just tear out all the family attractions and games and whatnot. I want the old, beloved double out and back coaster turned into an RMC airtime machine! Who really cares if it's beloved by the local population. I certainly don't. They should have taken it out years ago, they'd get over it.

I might have gone overboard at a certain point, but I think my point is clear:
The general public can make all the mistakes and hyperboles they want. They just want to enjoy what they have.
Bit of stereotyping here, but sounds to me like you’re describing what might be more common among young enthusiasts? Not most young enthusiasts, but a certain type that has the zeal of the neophyte.

I find most older enthusiasts are more or less in line with the ACE ethos of being the ideal guest: obeying rules, never giving ops or staff a hard time, being positive about the place.

Of the items on your list, two relate in some way to me (certainly not the other items):

1. I will often wear T-shirts relating to rides or parks in different states. I understand you see this in line with everything else: people who can’t wait to brag about their enthusiast knowledge and experience. But I don’t wear these shirts to brag at all; I wear them because they *always* start up conversations with fellow enthusiasts, so I get to meet a lot of people that way and enjoy the conversations in line.

2. I would never complain out loud or give ride ops/staff a hard time (or discuss stats with them, lol) — I think I’m the opposite — BUT if you’ve been to a lot of parks you can’t help at least *noticing* when things are done poorly. Yesterday I was at Mt. Olympus and they had the poorest operations of any park I’d ever been to, and just so many things about the park were poorly done. So that was the worst I’d seen, but no park employee knew I felt that way at any point.

I’m not saying this to defend myself, but to defend enthusiasts in general. Most of the ones I know — and I know a lot — are nothing like the people you describe. They’re respectful and, well, enthusiastic. So you probably wouldn’t notice these types at all — the majority of enthusiasts. You notice the minority that have to advertise their passion, and from my perspective those people are few and far between among enthusiasts.

EpochEmu

Mega Poster
As a ride host, I found enthusiasts to be far, FAR worse than the general public. The general public doesn't need, nor want to know, everything about every ride ever built. They don't care about what each element is called. They don't care about stats. They don't even know that there might be a small amusement park the next town over because they don't care.
Enthusiasts, on the other hand, want people in line to know all the different rides and places they've been to. They wear shirts from a park that's in a different state/country than the one they're currently in. They want to be asked about their knowledge, they want to play the one-up on everyone around them. Oh, I've been on 1,045 different rides! This park is just terrible because they don't invest in a giga dive invert. Who cares that they're a small, family-run amusement park. They have the space to build it! They can just tear out all the family attractions and games and whatnot. I want the old, beloved double out and back coaster turned into an RMC airtime machine! Who really cares if it's beloved by the local population. I certainly don't. They should have taken it out years ago, they'd get over it.
The general public can make all the mistakes and hyperboles they want. They just want to enjoy what they have.
But even general public know that the wheel on the rapids ride doesn't spin the raft... it's not like that's an enthusiast secret. I mean, C'MON!

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Bit of stereotyping here, but sounds to me like you’re describing what might be more common among young enthusiasts? Not most young enthusiasts, but a certain type that has the zeal of the neophyte.

There’s them, but I’ve also heard a fair few old enthusiasts sound off about all their knowledge to an unfortunate member of the GP. It’s so cringe, especially when they’re talking in technical terms that clearly the average person won’t understand. Interestingly, only really noticed this in the US. I guess it could’ve occurred in some European countries and gone over my head because I don’t speak the language, though.

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
But even general public know that the wheel on the rapids ride doesn't spin the raft... it's not like that's an enthusiast secret. I mean, C'MON!
But maybe she was making a joke towards a friend, son or daughter...

On the stereotyping part... I love reading this thread just because I find the topic is rather "Cringeworthy coaster enthusiast comments about normal people"
Okay some of those are on point, but a huge amount of them are just insanely dumb.

tribar

Mega Poster

Not sure if it were this site or another one but someone suggested that any woodie 20 years or older be demolished or RMCed. I was mortified.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
There’s them, but I’ve also heard a fair few old enthusiasts sound off about all their knowledge to an unfortunate member of the GP. It’s so cringe, especially when they’re talking in technical terms that clearly the average person won’t understand. Interestingly, only really noticed this in the US. I guess it could’ve occurred in some European countries and gone over my head because I don’t speak the language, though.
Well, I’ve been largely spared this type; in my experience it’s mostly younger people, especially those posting comments on YouTube, who engage in “cringey” bashing of the GP.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Of course, we could universalize this a bit. It takes a special type of narrow mind to think one’s specialized knowledge in any particular field affords them superiority over the uninitiated masses — like the IT guy who lords it over their “idiotic” clients, or the scientist who thinks only they have the real knowledge that counts and the rest of society are useless morons, or — whatever — the Pokémon fanatic who thinks not knowing the difference between X and Y monsters makes you stupid, etc., etc., etc.

I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with thinking something a non-enthusiast says might be funny, but it’s about tone and perspective — about not thinking coaster knowledge actually makes us superior in any way.

Last edited:

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I wIll often wear T-shirts relating to rides or parks in different states. I understand you see this in line with everything else: people who can’t wait to brag about their enthusiast knowledge and experience. But I don’t wear these shirts to brag at all; I wear them because they *always* start up conversations with fellow enthusiasts, so I get to meet a lot of people that way and enjoy the conversations in line.
Depending on the park and how long I'll be there (and where I'm going before or after.....) I'll wear a park or ride shirt as long as it's not overly obnoxious. But I definitely don't want anyone talking to me...
you see people at concerts with shirts on from other bands or tours, I don't see much of a difference when it comes to amusement parks. When I've seen park shirts while working I normal keep it to myself, unless it's something more exotic.. like when I saw Europa Park and Black Mamba at Phantasialand... at the same time two summers ago when Shanghai Disney first opened I saw a somewhat large number of those shirts come through but that's almost to be expected? ...and then I rolled my eyes the time I saw someone with a Fury 325 shirt after it was announced but before it actually opened.

BUT if you’ve been to a lot of parks you can’t help at least *noticing* when things are done poorly. Yesterday I was at Mt. Olympus and they had the poorest operations of any park I’d ever been to.
I agree, on both.
Some rides, by their nature just have slow loading procedures or operations. But then other times you know rides can be run at a good capacity and the Ops are just being lazy or the park just doesn't care.

You notice the minority that have to advertise their passion, and from my perspective those people are few and far between among enthusiasts.
Ah, but working for a major park and going to any given Orlando park weekly (and I try monthly with Busch, but it ends up being every other month) I do see this more often than not.... Especially if there's a regional event (ACE or other) or a conference/convention in town.... It definitely picks up with the cringe worthy enthusiasts.

There’s them, but I’ve also heard a fair few old enthusiasts sound off about all their knowledge to an unfortunate member of the GP. It’s so cringe,.......
100%
Also, older age-wise doesn't always mean older enthusiast, I know people who didn't get into the fandom until +40. They could be far less knowledgeable then someone who's 13 or 14 and has "time" to coaster-learn.

Again, especially down here where parks are a way of life..... The "Casual" Park/Coaster enthusiast seems to be a thing. I know people who definitely enjoy going to all the parks here and probably have a coaster counts nearing 50 but might not necessarily travel outside of the Central Florida region for a park or coaster and they probably don't know the major difference between rides... I also work with people who work at/for parks that never even go inside tnem. Odd.

Last edited:

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Not sure if it were this site or another one but someone suggested that any woodie 20 years or older be demolished or RMCed. I was mortified.

Uhm, yeah... I think that might have been this site, and I think I might know who that someone is...

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster
Especially when its a park not even close to where youre visiting. Don't be a douchebag. Dress like an adult.
When I think of all the great enthusiasts I’ve met (and even the ride ops who enthusiastically chat with me, or without my saying anything, who invite me to stay on again (when there’s no one in line, of course) or even, as happened yesterday, who suggested they’ll let me have space with the lap bar (again when I made no such request)) all because they spotted my t-shirt and started talking to me — no, thanks, I’ll stay a douchebag. Though it’s awfully tempting to be cool and anti-social, just like in high school. ;)

Matt N

CF Legend
What's the matter with wearing park/coaster merchandise at other parks, out of interest? I wore my Icon shirt to Alton Towers on Saturday, and I previously wore a SeaWorld Orlando coaster shirt to some UK parks.

Anyway, on the topic of the thread, my mum thought that Icon was a lift hill coaster until we got on to it. Not necessarily cringeworthy, but kind of interesting.

MestnyiGeroi

Giga Poster

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Why not just tag @Jarrett
Actually I doubt that I’d have said that, there are tons of rides older than that that I enjoy. I’m not so much “every old classic coaster that I personally don’t enjoy should be RMCed,” it’s more “that crappy old ride that nobody rides anymore shouldn’t be saved from being RMCed/razed and redeveloped just because it’s old.” I’ve actually seen enthusiasts say some pretty cringey stuff about how rides like Voyage and the like should be RMCed that I don’t agree with at all. I used to be fairly extreme on this but I’ve definitely dialed that back over the past year or so. Boss, Blue Streak, Raven, Wild One, both the Knoebels woodies, while I might personally prefer an RMC to their experience they’re all still coasters I really like and if the park left it for me to enjoy alongside their shiny new ground-up RMC it’s just another ride I like to hit that day.

While I personally might not care for certain wooden coasters, it doesn’t mean that it’s the best option financially. Typically the circumstances that I think constitute it would be low ridership, condition deteriorating past the point of minor maintenance, loss of feasibility to maintain it, or that specific structure having so much to offer as an RMC (to the GP and park lineup, not just me) that it would take priority over the ridership it gets now.

My personal solution to classics is a sort of machined wooden rail that can replace the hand-cut track that cut down on maintenance costs. For that beloved double out and back on the previous page, this is the best option. It’s something the clientele would eat up that can almost be set and forgotten to just chew through crowds without worrying about when it’ll need retracked next. Whether it’s a blast from the past like Phoenix or a very popular snoozer like Hershey’s Comet, this is in my opinion the best way to handle an older coaster.

Don’t mean to bring this off topic but if three people are going to tag me and drag me into this, I’m going to at least defend my viewpoint. You can either respect what I’ve posted or just not take it seriously and let it go in one ear and out the other, I’m not here to please anyone who’s just going to make up their mind about me and judge me based on some warped perception in their head and not by what I actually say/post. But hey, typing it was a good way to kill time driving to Kings Dominion to enjoy both Grizzly and Twisted Timbers.

EDIT: Regarding that post linked above, my reply was clearly based in personal preference. I’m aware that wouldn’t be a good business practice and I understand why parks don’t do it.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
http://coasterforce.com/forums/threads/should-parks-rmcitorwreckit.41220/

Jarrett said:
Kind of a large part of my mark on the coaster community has been the use of the hashtag #RMCitorWreckit when discussing older wooden coasters, and what it means is just that. Outdated wooden roller coasters that fail to provide a ride as good as their modern descendents should either be RMCed or torn down, with little to no regard for history being taken into consideration. For me I draw this line as before the second golden age, so almost anything before 1972. Aside from a very elite select few (Wild One, Phoenix, Twister, Blue Streak), everything from this era should either be RMCed or torn down to make room for a modern wooden coaster. After this era it's about mixed, with some deserving the #RMCitorWreckit treatment and some not, lasting up until the advent of CAD in roller coaster design, in which I believe almost nothing needs it.

Italics my fave part.

Snoo

The Legend
When I think of all the great enthusiasts I’ve met (and even the ride ops who enthusiastically chat with me, or without my saying anything, who invite me to stay on again (when there’s no one in line, of course) or even, as happened yesterday, who suggested they’ll let me have space with the lap bar (again when I made no such request)) all because they spotted my t-shirt and started talking to me — no, thanks, I’ll stay a douchebag. Though it’s awfully tempting to be cool and anti-social, just like in high school. ;)

I mean.. you COULD just be social. I've talked to plenty of ride ops over the years just being social. I am in the extreme minority when it comes to that feeling along with Gavin. I can talk to anyone, anywhere, about anything and walking up to people isn't an issue just to have a chat while most enthusiasts out there are the opposite.

It helps I'm a beautiful man as well. :p