What's new

Kings Island | Orion | B&M Giga Coaster

llCoasterN3rdll

Roller Poster
I find it genius that they trolled enthusiasts.They literally toyed with classic/retired rides and it's has been up to enthusiasts to keep the hype rolling...

Someone at KI's PR department should get a bonus this month!
. How dare they! The only way I’ll forgive them is if they give us a B&M giga in 2020....oh wait

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Everything pointed to it being the antique cars so not a surprise at all.

If it's a B&M thing in 2020 then it's not going to be SOB related is it? Not really bothered about a B&M giga, won't it just be like a bigger version of diamondback? Suppose it will be decent. Now an intamin airtime machine.....yes please!

But we know it's probably B&M so it won't be.

Last edited:

TLARides

Hyper Poster

If it's a B&M thing in 2020 then it's not going to be SOB related is it? Not really bothered about a B&M giga, won't it just be like a bigger version of diamondback? Suppose it will be decent. Now an intamin airtime machine.....yes please!

Where did you guys get the idea that the 2020 thing is gonna be B&M?

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

DelPiero

Strata Poster

I'd absolutely LOVE another Fury style giga, It's nothing like Diamondback really. If they keep innovating and adding more flojector on their gigas then well worth it, I don't think they'd do another Leviathan type giga unless specifically asked to now, which I don't think KI would request.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I'd absolutely LOVE another Fury style giga, It's nothing like Diamondback really. If they keep innovating and adding more flojector on their gigas then well worth it, I don't think they'd do another Leviathan type giga unless specifically asked to now, which I don't think KI would request.
Haven't done either tbf but find the hypers a bit samey after you've done a few. If they're substantially better then that could be good. Like I mean obviously it would still be good but we're talking "what would be the dream" here so it's fine to be pedantic.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
I think their marketing department did wonders. If they had just announced the classic car ride on a normal Thursday with no fanfare would any actually care? They played us perfectly. Good job.
Pretty much. It's like the Kings Dominion Snoopy announcement all over again. There's really more coming! Love it. Entitled enthusiasts are the worst.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
But it didn't. Veiled references to mining operations in Cedar Point declaring "Number 5 is Alive", flowers being left at the grave of SOB, references to Racer as nostalgic. And... literally... announcing a car ride on National Roller Coaster Day (yes, even if it marked the closure anniversary of the old car ride).

It's fine that they trolled, but it's also... whatever. Far from a brilliant marketing scheme. The Antique Cars are fine, and I'm glad the park is making up for Paramount's stupidity 11 years ago (yes, would've kept the antique cars over Backlot Stunt Coaster, or at least had Backlot located elsewhere). But would have done the marketing differently if I had my druthers, and not worry about weird non-direction rumors - just focus on the core message of something old becomes new.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
But it didn't. Veiled references to mining operations in Cedar Point declaring "Number 5 is Alive", flowers being left at the grave of SOB, references to Racer as nostalgic. And... literally... announcing a car ride on National Roller Coaster Day (yes, even if it marked the closure anniversary of the old car ride).

It's fine that they trolled, but it's also... whatever. Far from a brilliant marketing scheme. The Antique Cars are fine, and I'm glad the park is making up for Paramount's stupidity 11 years ago (yes, would've kept the antique cars over Backlot Stunt Coaster, or at least had Backlot located elsewhere). But would have done the marketing differently if I had my druthers, and not worry about weird non-direction rumors - just focus on the core message of something old becomes new.
The later ones with the keys and hints about driving did but yeah the earlier ones were more ambiguous. Probably hinting at stuff further in the future.

KJ7500

Roller Poster
The weird thing to me about King's Island getting a B & M in 2020 is it's Cedar Point's 150th and people have long assumed CP will get a monumental coaster. Seems like Cedar Fair wouldn't want KI to upstage that. A giga for KI would make the most sense but then how would CP top that? Their own, slightly taller B & M giga? That'd be a massive investment for one year in just the state of Ohio. Even a wing or dive for KI and a coaster for CP would be a huge investment.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
A larger/more modern launch coaster like taron, maverick or stormrunner would be nice (as in, larger than FOF and Backlot). Obviously unlikely to be a B&M though.

TLARides

Hyper Poster
The weird thing to me about King's Island getting a B & M in 2020 is it's Cedar Point's 150th and people have long assumed CP will get a monumental coaster. Seems like Cedar Fair wouldn't want KI to upstage that. A giga for KI would make the most sense but then how would CP top that? Their own, slightly taller B & M giga? That'd be a massive investment for one year in just the state of Ohio. Even a wing or dive for KI and a coaster for CP would be a huge investment.
World's first non-launch Strata-coaster?

KJ7500

Roller Poster
World's first non-launch Strata-coaster?

you're talking loco and I like it. I don't think CF has ever given both KI and CP new coasters in one year before, though, have they? Uncharted waters. Are there going to be special cross-promotions to get people to go to both Parks?

TLARides

Hyper Poster
you're talking loco and I like it. I don't think CF has ever given both KI and CP new coasters in one year before, though, have they? Uncharted waters. Are there going to be special cross-promotions to get people to go to both Parks?
Maybe.