What's new

Kennywood | Steel Curtain | S&S Multi-looper

jay37415

Mega Poster
I am not going to say it's not track. Usually you will see track transported side by side on a truck. A flatbed trailer is 102 inches (8.5 feet wide). With that said, the steel on the back of the truck is over 6 feet wide plus. That really wide for track if the guide wheels ride on the outside and the train is 2 across not 4. Also, from what I could research, B&M are typically 48 inches wide, Intamin is 30 inches and wood 36 inches.

So if its really track, its gonna be something not typical on a coaster which could help roughness.

jay37415

Mega Poster
I was doing some research on my prior statement and I found info on a S&S that was built in China. It has 4 across seating and by the looks of the one picture, its f-in wide. I am going to guess that this is how the track will be done for Kennywood and the trains will use a lap system similar to RMC trains with no OTSR... yay!!

Attachments

• 0527er.jpg
    0527er.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 3573d6e21bbb38a8558d828bf1eba389.jpg
    3573d6e21bbb38a8558d828bf1eba389.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 39

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I'm starting to wonder if the whole ride will be made of 2-tube track. I'm also starting to wonder whether the whole ride will be black.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
It's almost as if both S&S and Vekoma are owned by Sansei Technologies...and by almost, I mean they ARE both owned by Sansei.

It DOES seem to be a new track design, although I'd wager that this was already set in stone prior to Sansei's acquisition of Vekoma in late-March. I don't think that three month window gives them quite enough time to leverage some intellectual property and execute a late change.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
It reminds me of mumbo jumbo's track (which I know is S&S before someone points it out lol). It looks a bit thin for what could be quite an intense coaster though. Was expecting something similar to galeforce on the main segments, or more of a modern vekoma style thing.

Hmm.

Pear

Strata Poster
It's almost as if both S&S and Vekoma are owned by Sansei Technologies...and by almost, I mean they ARE both owned by Sansei.

It DOES seem to be a new track design, although I'd wager that this was already set in stone prior to Sansei's acquisition of Vekoma in late-March. I don't think that three month window gives them quite enough time to leverage some intellectual property and execute a late change.

Sansei doesn't fully own Vekoma I believe hence why Vekoma have not changed their name after the purchase. They're more there just to oversee what Vekoma does. I could be wrong though.

Matt N

CF Legend
The track looks to me like the track seen on S&S's compressed air launch coasters in China, personally.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Sansei doesn't fully own Vekoma I believe hence why Vekoma have not changed their name after the purchase. They're more there just to oversee what Vekoma does. I could be wrong though.

According to Screamscape, it sounds like it was a full acquisition but Vekoma is still able to operate as its own entity. Essentially, the move just added Sansei's CEO to Vekoma's supervisory board.

But yeah, with some quick observations we can see that this new track appears to be an evolution of both S&S launcher and Vekoma track. Bullet Coaster has gusseted plate steel ties and Lech Coaster looks to have plate steel welded into a boxy construction. Steel Curtain's track appears to utilize round tube steel for the cross ties, as seen above.

aacpysa

aaenchg

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Genuinely think that if they went with B&M or an RMC T. rex I would be a lot less concerned on how the ride turns out.
I think most people would agree with this, the problem is the cost of those companies could be way more then PR would be willing to spend, even with the likely (and assumed) contribution from the Steelers Organization. At this point I think we all need to stop thinking about what it could have been if X,Y, or Z was different and just look forward to what we have coming and hope it turns out well and doesn't suffer from issues some other S&S rides have.