What's new

Rank your Ridden B&M Inverts

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Afterburn - THE most powerful invert out there that I've been on. The ride is truly fantastic. Loved marathoning it a few years back in the back row with @Hixee. The pacing in some portions is the only determent.
Ah man, that was a great day. <3 Afterburn marathon during the day, frozen custard at lunch, Fury marathon in the evening, and a casual +12 creds - all with excellent company!

Banshee clearly divides people more than any other invert! Seems to be on the very high end or low end of people's lists.

And ugh @Hixee the thought of marathoning Afterburn makes me feel ill. Great coaster, but way too intense to marathon!

Pear

Strata Poster
I can't be the only one that found Afterburn not that intense? Besides the batwing and the part before the immelman I found it pretty lacking on positives

Snoo

The Legend
Banshee clearly divides people more than any other invert! Seems to be on the very high end or low end of people's lists.

And ugh @Hixee the thought of marathoning Afterburn makes me feel ill. Great coaster, but way too intense to marathon!

You just can't take those solid positives is all. @Hixee and I woulda kept going (I think we were 10 deep?) had it not been for the rest of the group wanting to go to Fury (NOT better.. ya hussies).

I can't be the only one that found Afterburn not that intense? Besides the batwing and the part before the immelman I found it pretty lacking on positives

Depends on where you're talking. Banshee has its moments but not overall that intense. Afterburn has THE Batwing, the whole reason why the world is a great place, and the immelman and the loop IMO. That is just based off of memory from what.. 3 years ago?

We do all take g's different, as you can tell with LFTL. Her fragile little frame isn't a huge fan of it while my fat ass loves it. :D

@Snoo Afterburn is great a few times but I think I maxed out at two rides. Katun I did four times and literally almost died, Banshee I only did twice and had to sit down because I thought I was going into heart failure haha. Also I found it CONSTANTLY instense which was the big problem. Like, not a single break in positive G-forces whatsoever. I'd pick Fury over Afterburn any day of the week... Definitely a Positive G pansy 100%. I don't even like Maxair anymore that much and it was once my favourite flat.

Getting old sucks.

Last edited:

oriolat2

Giga Poster
After my recent trip to Italy:
1- Katun: if you like old-school B&M forces, this is just a wet dream come true. I couldn't marathon it because it was *that* intense. Amazing speed, forces and snappy inversions.
2- Montu: my favourite coaster in Florida. It executes its layout flawlessly even though it feels a bit formulaic.
3- Talon: wow! Despite being rather simple in its layout it packs such a punch. Snappy inversions and fast transitions. Just how I like 'em!
4- Nemesis: this coaster is a legend on its own. Loved the interaction with the terrain and how ominous it sounds as the trains roll on the tracks.
5- Dragon Challenge (red): a tad better than its former blue partner because inversions are more spread through the layout.
6- Dragon Challenge (blue): good mix of inversions.
7- Batman La Fuga (best themed and felt a bit more intense than its American counterparts)
8- Batman: The Ride (SFGAm and SFGAdv)
9- Black Mamba: extremely well-themed. It may not be the best inverted but the theming makes it look ride a lot faster than it does. I guess Phantasialand wanted to replicate the concept of Nemesis, but it's nowhere near as iconic.
10- Raptor: it was my second big B&M inverted coaster after Montu and it just didn't do that much for me. Too many straight sections and dull moments after the MCBR.
11- Great Bear: this one surprised me but because of its location it lacks variety and it's not too dynamic.
12- Nemesis Inferno: despite being rather well-themed, it's like a mini Batman. Cute but not intense enough for me.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Yaayyy, list topics! :D

Nemesis Alton Towers
Black Mamba Phantasialand
Afterburn Carowinds
Banshee Kings Island
Alpengeist Busch Gardens Williamsburg
Raptor Cedar Point
Talon Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom
Dragon Challenge Universal Studios Islands of Adventure (Ice/Blue/Horntail perfered)
Nemesis Inferno Thorpe Park
Vampire La Ronde (the best of the Batman clones <3 )
Montu Busch Gardens Tampa
- "stand out" Batman's
- Batman The Ride Six Flags Great America (original, kinda themed... water)
- Batman The Ride Six Flags Over Texas (deeper trenches than most, same for La Ronde)

- all the same
- Batman: Arkham Asylum Parque Warner Madrid
- Batman The Ride Six Flags Magic Mountain
- Batman The Ride Six Flags Great Adventure
- Batman The Ride Six Flags St. Louis
- Batman The Ride Six Flags Over Georgia
- Goliath Six Flags Fiesta Texas
- Great White SeaWorld San Antonio Steel

Patriot Worlds of Fun
Silver Bullet Knott's Berry Farm (ew)
Great Bear Hersheypark (meh)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I was going to try and dig out the old list, but decided to wait until after the summer holiday since I'll have added 4 more Batman clones. Yay.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
Nemesis and Katun must be at the top of my list, trading places from time to time. When Nemesis is running at its absolute best, it's able to outshine the rides I had on Katun a fair few years back, but under normal conditions, Katun probably has the edge with it's immense size, forces and airtime.

Somewhere behind those two sits Talon, one of the less forceful inverts that nevertheless somehow just manages to be really good. I had great fun marathoning Talon for an hour during an ERT session back in 2008, and wasn't getting tired of it by the end.

After that, things get really fuzzy for me. Black Mamba probably comes next, as it's a good, solid ride with great theming and atmosphere. I can't remember much of Six Flags Great Adventure's Batman, but really enjoyed the one at Warner Madrid, with its insane forces. I doubt I could do more than a couple of rides in quick succession though - it's right on the upper limit when it comes to positive Gs.

Finally comes the less memorable stuff. Nemesis Inferno isn't bad at all, but isn't in the same league as some of the others. Great Bear I seem to remember having a fairly solid ride, but I can't say I can remember it particularly well. Then comes Alpengeist, and... oh dear. I was really hoping for something great from the world's biggest B&M invert, and it just felt underwhelming. I remember a really snappy cobra roll, a helix at the end where the ride completely petered out, and very little else of note.

IMO Katun is basically the ride that Alpengeist should have been.

Hutch

Strata Poster
1. Nemesis - Perfect ride. Undoubtedly has my favorite inversions and favorite helix, maybe even the best terrain interactions. It ends at the right time too.
2. Montu - Excellent layout. All the elements are top notch, and there's some decent trench interaction. The zero g roll and batwing combo is amazing.
3. Chinese Fireball - Definitely superior layout to Horntail. It has the immelmanns, extra corkscrew, and a floater hill. Both coasters were fantastic when they dueled but were still great even on their own.
4. Alpengeist - Great sense of speed and foot choppers. Cobra roll, zero g, and corkscrew are all great. MCBR transitioning is a little violent and the helix at the end is a little dull.
5. Hungarian Horntail - The beginning overbank turn is dull and the cobra roll is okay, but it has an excellent zero g roll and the rest of the layout is still decent.
6. Batman: The Ride (SFoG) - Some great elements tightly packed together.
7. Batman: The Ride (SFGAd) - Some of the forces were close to being a little too much on this so it wasn't as enjoyable as SFoG's. I've had one ride one each. I also waited a quite a while for this one while the other was a walk on.
8. Afterburn - Great layout and mix of inversions, and lack of MCBR is nice. Just wish it was a bit smoother and it could've been higher.
9. Nemesis Inferno - Simple, yet pretty solid layout, that doesn't waste any time. Great setting/theming. Main drawback is that the inversions, while fun, just aren't as snappy as the rides above.
10. Raptor - Good ride. The elements aren't as remarkable as others, and the middle portion of the layout isn't really exciting. Not the smoothest one out there but it could be a lot worse.
11. Great Bear - Layout could've (and probably should've) been much better, particular the beginning and end where it just wanders around. Inversions are fun, but they lack any real intensity.
12. Banshee - It's huge and fast and intense, but the intensity is found in the positive gs towards the ground and they kind of ruin the ride, especially with the rattle The inversions are too huge and drawn out, for example the zero g is pretty gentle. The ending was the best part though, being the turnaround/inline twist/helix combo.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
New in bold.

1. Nemesis. Obvs.
2. Montu. Big, bad, fast, and a very pretty colour scheme.
3. Banshee. I just don't get the hate, it's huge, swoopy and forceful, and without an MCBR the whole thing just flows so well. So pretty too.
Also, it was my 300th cred. :)
4. Raptor. Brilliant, old school B&M. Great layout and, my god, the roar! Ain't no sand in those tracks, man!
5. Black Mamba. Great ride, front row is amazing.
6. Patriot. Surprisingly good, this. Another old school one, with a good layout and a nice B&M roar.
7, 8, 9 & 10. The Batmen. So forceful. Ridden 4 now, MM, GAdv, St Louis & GAm. Can't distinguish between them really, they're all the same, but for what it's worth I prefer the blue paint job to the yellow one.
11 & 12. Duelling Dragons. Based on when they duelled, of course. Would no doubt be even lower if I'd ridden them in their final years. Having trouble remembering them tbh, but I think I preferred the red one?
13. OzIris. Not big enough to be fast and swoopy, but not compact enough to be punchy and forceful. A strange middle-ground that just isn't very memorable.
14. Alpengeist. Huge and beautiful, but the first half is too fast and the MCBR kills it dead making the second half too slow. Weird.
15. N'Inferno. Not actually bad, just a bit small. Was better when all the effects worked.
16. Silver Bullet. Left no impression on me whatsoever. Don't know why exactly, it's just dull.

Pear

Strata Poster
3. Banshee. I just don't get the hate, it's huge, swoopy and forceful, and without an MCBR the whole thing just flows so well. So pretty too.

Agreed! I was expecting the ride to be very forceless but was surprised by the positives in the valleys and the floater at the peaks over the inversions. People who say this ride is forceless are straight up lying!

Also the final roll is fab

New in bold.

1. Nemesis. Obvs.
2. Montu. Big, bad, fast, and a very pretty colour scheme.
4. Raptor. Brilliant, old school B&M. Great layout and, my god, the roar! Ain't no sand in those tracks, man!
5. Black Mamba. Great ride, front row is amazing.
6. Patriot. Surprisingly good, this. Another old school one, with a good layout and a nice B&M roar.
7, 8, 9 & 10. The Batmen. So forceful. Ridden 4 now, MM, GAdv, St Louis & GAm. Can't distinguish between them really, they're all the same, but for what it's worth I prefer the blue paint job to the yellow one.
11 & 12. Duelling Dragons. Based on when they duelled, of course. Would no doubt be even lower if I'd ridden them in their final years. Having trouble remembering them tbh, but I think I preferred the red one?
13. OzIris. Not big enough to be fast and swoopy, but not compact enough to be punchy and forceful. A strange middle-ground that just isn't very memorable.
14. Alpengeist. Huge and beautiful, but the first half is too fast and the MCBR kills it dead making the second half too slow. Weird.
15. N'Inferno. Not actually bad, just a bit small. Was better when all the effects worked.
16. Silver Bullet. Left no impression on me whatsoever. Don't know why exactly, it's just dull.

Booooo Banshee!

Raptor is secretly fab though and definitely makes the best noise.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
I love B&M Inverts and there’s just so many of them <3.

1. Black Mamba, Phantasialand - It’s perfect! I even love the “snaking” ending.
2. Katun, Mirabilandia - The forces are insane, and that first drop is way too good for an invert.
3. Monster, Parc Walygator - Very intense again, lots of “whip-action”
4. Nemesis, Alton Towers - A truly customised terrain layout and some very raw intensity.
5. Talon, Dorney Park - Beautiful flow of elements and perfectly paced.
6. Montu, Busch Gardens Tampa - A long layout with a fab batwing and other significant moments of force.
7. Raptor, Cedar Point - Not as powerful as Monster, but still a strong old-school invert.
8. Afterburn, Carowinds - Expectations a tad too high, but very solid force-wise and has a batwing! Night rides were sublime
9. Great Bear, Hersheypark - Short layout, but every element is taken very well. Probably has the most forceful immenlmen.
10. Batman the Ride, Six Flags Great America - The original and the best batman! Superior theming, setting and station music.
11. Batman the Ride, Six Flags Over Georgia - Just as forceful, just lacks the ambiance of the above.
12. Batman the Ride, Six Flags Over Texas - See above.
13. Batman the Ride, Six Flags Magic Mountain - Mayde a smidge less intense than 10-12? Barely any difference.
14. Batman: Arkham Asylum, Parque Warner Madrid - Very intense and fluent, but slightly less “raw” if that makes sense.
15. Oz'Iris, Parc Asterix - It’s got a great layout; some of the elements come to play more than others.
16. Vampire (backwards), La Ronde - Probably the best backwards coaster I’ve done.
17. Dragon Challenge: Chinese Fireball, Islands of Adventure - RIP. Similar to Oz’Iris but slightly less remarkable.
18. Silver Bullet, Knott's Berry Farm - It’s definitely gotten more forceful over the years. It’s pretty good now!
19. Dragon Challenge: Hungarian Horntail, Islands of Adventure - RIP. The first few elements are great but then it feels a bit short-lived overall.
20. Alpengeist, Busch Gardens Williamsburg - Trims make or break the second half. First half has good solid forces, but it all should be better.
21. Goliath, Six Flags Fiesta Texas - The mirror layout threw me. Wasn’t as impressed as above Batmans but it was good.
22. Batman the Ride, Six Flags Great Adventure - Lower because I found it a bit rougher and slightly uncomfortable. May have been random.
23. Flight Deck, California's Great America - It’s all forces, but the layout is uninspired and lacking in a certain grace.
24. Banshee, Kings Island - Feels too big. Personally didn’t find it very forceful; a bit of a let-down.
25. Nemesis Inferno, Thorpe Park - It’s fine, but it just doesn’t stand out enough to be any higher.
26. Great White, SeaWorld San Antonio - Very slow Batman clone. An overall mediocre experience.

It freaks me out to think I’ve done so many now. As far as custom layouts, I’ve still got to do Patriot, Pyrenees and Phaethon (plus the 2020 Gröna Invert); nice to still have some to look forward to.

Last edited:

SingleRiderReak

Roller Poster
1. Montu - It's been a long time since I last rode this, but holy crap, back seat all the way.
2. Afterburn - Pretty much Montu but shorter and better paced.
3. Alpengeist - I remember when I got off my first ride on it, my legs felt sore due to all of the intensity. I love it.
4. Great Bear - IMO, an underrated gem among B&M inverts.
5. Chinese Fireball - I couldn't imagine this ride with dueling, and that last corkscrew was my favorite on any invert.
6. Hungarian Horntail - Same as above but with a slightly weaker layout.
7. Batman: The Ride (SFMM & SFOG) - Both are mostly smooth and provide insane amounts of intensity.
8. Batman: The Ride (SFOT) - Same as above but with a noticeable rattle.
9. Silver Bullet - Lacked intensity throughout the ride (at least up until the final helix) and it's now a little bit jerky in some places.

iac17

Mega Poster
1) KATUN
2) AFTERBURN
3) BANSHEE
4) RAPTOR
5) BATMAN THE RIDE (SFMM & SFGAm)
7)NEMESIS INFERNO

Pear

Strata Poster
1. Alpengeist - Incredible ride with great speed, pacing, snap, and some of my favorite inversions. Riding this front row at night in the pouring rain is an experience I'll never forget.
2. Banshee - Did not expect to like this as much as I did. Great positives and float on the top of the inversions. The final roll is really fun as well!
3. Black Mamba - Really forceful and snappy with a great finale that snakes through theming. Nice footchoppers as well.
4. OzIris - Very fun invert with good variety of elements with some really nice theming.
5. Great Bear - I like the helix at the beginning and the rest of the elements pack a good punch. It's a very fun ride though it dies a little at the end. Fantastic zero g roll though!
6. Batman Clones - Surprisingly forceful and packs a big punch.
7. Afterburn - Really snappy but also lacking some forces besides the batwing and pullout of the loop. Overall pretty overrated, but still fun.
8. Silver Bullet - Forceless but still fun.
9. Raptor - Boring. Good forces but it all kinda felt generic to me.

New in bold.

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
1. Montu - fabulous invert in my top ten, relentless from start to finish, intense amazing elements, and it is just so great. I may be biased because this ride is so close to me but Montu forever! 11/10
2. Afterburn - Montu but shorter and more intense 10/10
3. Alpengeist - Really snappy, large and fast. But the cobra roll is a bit of a headbanger and the transition into the mcbr is really violent. But overall it is intensity and in a well made ride. 9/10
4. Raptor - amazing b&m invert whippy, intense and fun. It has gained a bit of a rattle and the helix into the mcbr is a bit weak but otherwise, it is awesome. And that roar is so nice, underrated gem. 8.5/10
5. Patriot - Fun ride for sure. Amazing zero-g roll, it isn't whippy or intense at all just fun. 8/10
6. Talon - nice b&m and very pretty. 7.5/10
7. Batman the Ride (sfgam,sfgadv,sfmm) - nice rides but not great and some have a rattle to them which is annoying 7.5/10
8.Banshee - the point of a b&m invert is to be whippy and banshee completely defeats the purpose of that. It goes slowly from one element to another and has a big rattle. But it looks good and has a few nice elements to it. 7/10
9. Great bear - Weak but fun. Dies down way too much at the end, another corkscrew would have been nice 7/10