What's new

Phantasialand Improvements for 2018

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Some of that restaurant theming looks Tibetan so there could be substance in that rumour. Why would they do that theming change though?
Not sure. Personally I'm not keen on the idea as I quite like the style of the current Chinese area. But I guess they may want refresh things, and perhaps the Tibetan theme ties into whatever replaces Geister Rikscha (or I have seen a suggestion that maybe Colorado Adventure could be incorporated and rethemed to the Himalayas).

20180317_095207_resized.thumb.jpg.eebcee117247c713389a4e1ddcff3e87.jpg
Did a bit of research. The symbol on the banners is called an Endless Knot, also known as a Tibetan Knot, and is one of the 8 symbols of Tibetan Buddhism. Hmmm, starting to think this might be more than a coincidence.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Not sure. Personally I'm not keen on the idea as I quite like the style of the current Chinese area. But I guess they may want refresh things, and perhaps the Tibetan theme ties into whatever replaces Geister Rikscha (or I have seen a suggestion that maybe Colorado Adventure could be incorporated and rethemed to the Himalayas).

Did a bit of research. The symbol on the banners is called an Endless Knot, also known as a Tibetan Knot, and is one of the 8 symbols of Tibetan Buddhism. Hmmm, starting to think this might be more than a coincidence.
Yeah I think you're right. Good detective work! I really liked the traditional Chinese theme of that restaurant, and the whole area tbh. Maybe they just wanted a change. They do say though, if it's not broken, don't fix it! I am confident it would still be nice though as it will be phantasia standard.

Dar

Hyper Poster
It seems odd that they've taken the building down this early? Unless the area on the Rookburg side is going to be so jam packed by the end of the year that it wasn't feasible to leave it until then.

InB4 maybe they're planning on opening it later this season

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
It seems odd that they've taken the building down this early? Unless the area on the Rookburg side is going to be so jam packed by the end of the year that it wasn't feasible to leave it until then.

InB4 maybe they're planning on opening it later this season
The Berlin street building? I think they are simply just getting a head start. Already creating the access point there now means one less thing to do next off season. The current temporary wall between Rookburgh and the Wuze valley will eventually have to be replaced by a permanent wall/buildings for sound proofing and to divide the themed areas. That will be quite a big task that will have to happen in the next off season, so I imagine then they will want to concentrate all their efforts on that. (Especially if they want to open it for the start of the 2019 season)

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
New update from Phantasialand's blog: https://phantasialandblog.de/huettenbau-nach-mass-in-africa/

The African Huts
PHL_BlackMamba-Reetd%C3%A4cher-2986-1.jpg

A small African village high up on sun-bleached rocky outcrops. From the hustle and bustle at the foot of the mountain rousing drum rhythms and happy conversations arise. On the summit, on the other hand, there is serenity - until the Black Mamba suddenly brushes very close to the thatched round buildings. So close that it almost seems possible to look inside at the inhabitants.
PHL_BlackMamba-Reetd%C3%A4cher-blog.jpg

What has emerged in our Africa theme area could well be the home of a traditional African tribe. Detailed round huts have found their place on the newly designed rocky landscape. Small windows, cracks in the façade, seemingly caused by heat and humidity, and elaborate ornaments on the walls make it easy to imagine that someone actually lives up here.
PHL_BlackMamba-Reetd%C3%A4cher-2553-blog.jpg

With such effort and what finesse the rock experts of Universal Rocks created weather-torn, sand and sun shaped mountains in our theme area "Deep in Africa", so to accompany their work and in order to make the fascination and the history of the African continent even more tangible, we have in the truest sense of the word added something extra with the specially made thatched roof huts. And we are guided by traditional African construction. In the real Africa itself you can often find these practical thatched round buildings. They are made for the climate there. The special roofs help to keep the heat out, so it's always pleasantly cool indoors.
PHL_BlackMamba-Reetd%C3%A4cher-2582-1.jpg

These robust huts are made from logs and weather-resistant dried reeds. And for the expert handling of this unusual building material, we have relied on master carpenter Marcus Jütten. The challenge for him already started with the procurement of the special material. In northern Germany, much is still being worked with reeds today, but the demand is so high that the German farmers can not satisfy them. On the German island of Sylt many roofs are still covered with dried reeds today. The thatch for our African huts had to be brought in from China, via Kiel, to Phantasialand.
According to our design templates, Marcus Jütten created the thatched roofs in his carpentry workshop in the Eifel. The dry stalks must not break and at the end have to form a closed "ceiling" on the roof truss of round timbers. Marcus Jütten then takes care of the final touches on site. He ties ropes around the thatched roofs and punches the last trunks. Driven laterally into the thatch, they look as though African tribes had actually put their hands into making their huts even more stable and stable.
PHL_BlackMamba-Reetd%C3%A4cher-2594-1.jpg

Then custom work is required. The roofs have finally to their ancestral place, high on the weather-beaten rock landscape. A big crane heaves up the specially made unique pieces where helping hands receive them. Marcus Jütten still trims the reed here and there until it fits snugly on the round buildings. After the last corrections, it seems that our African huts have been rooted for decades in the weathered rocks they stand on.

PHL_BlackMamba-Reetd%C3%A4cher-2611-1.jpg

The small village on top of the impressive mountain in our Africa can be seen from afar. And the closer you get, the more details emerge. Like the original African masks that line the walls of our theme hotel Matamba. Or the fence on a ledge, which is supposed to protect the inhabitants of the hill village from falling. A world of its own has arisen up there, inextricably linked to the big and small changes in Africa that you can experience on your next visit to Phantasialand.
PHL_BlackMamba-Reetd%C3%A4cher-2887-1.jpg

Video:

Dar

Hyper Poster
I assume flying into KolnBonn is still the cheapest way to get the park? Asking for a friend...

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
A press release about the new season has revealed a few more, so far unknown, changes that have happened in the park. Also it gives details of the offer they run that if you visit between 24th March and 30th April you get a free entry ticket for any day during the summer season, except July and August.

- Around Chiapas they have renewed all the plants.
- The Waffle Bakery in Berlin has been redesigned and modernised. A new recipe and 10 new toppings have also been introduced.
- Next to the Waffle Bakery will be a brand new small barista cafe called 'Lilli's Café'.
- The renovations of both of Hotel Ling Bao's restaurants also sees new food offerings from all over Asia; to take guests on a culinary journey from China via Thailand and Vietnam to Japan. For the first time there will be live cooking on a wok and teppanyaki grill.

Sadly not the same angle but a before and after of the Africa rockwork.
img_0001_29_188.jpg

PHL_BlackMamba-Reetd%C3%A4cher-blog.jpg

Continuing my "detective work" PhantaFriends.de user Herr Aquarium has researched the new decorative elements. While some elements are generally present in Buddhist Asian areas, but when brought together they all have a particular region in common...
He put together these comparisons with Tibetan buildings.
5ab280df22f82_tibetvergleich.png.aff6c15f11efe87fe98a2ff68b254271.png

Not sure if we are starting to read into it too much but its intriguing after that rumour last year.

Ethan

Strata Poster
I assume flying into KolnBonn is still the cheapest way to get the park? Asking for a friend...

Yeah, fly to Cologne, take the train to Cologne central, then a short train to Bruhl. Once in Bruhl you can hop straight onto the PL bus :)

Last edited:

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I was a bit unsure of the new rock work for Mamba, the colour in particular, when I was it over winter. But seeing it complete, I'm sold, I love it. It's just stunning! <3

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Not sure if we are starting to read into it too much but its intriguing after that rumour last year.
They're known for their attention to detail so I wouldn't be surprised if it was spot on. It certainly looks like a bit of a retheme eitherway, just from the look of it, it has a different feel to it.

Pear

Strata Poster
It seems really strange that they would rehteme the entire Chinese section. I remember reading an article that said it's the owners' favorite area and that they received a Chinese Cultural Medal for it since it features the most Chinese buildings in a single area outside of China.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Off the back of improving the moblie phone signal across the park Phantasialand is this season introducing an app.

The Phantasialand app!

Load app. Plan a visit. Experience more.

Discover YOUR Phantasialand! Plan your visit from home and quickly find your personal highlights in the park. Whether you are traveling with children, looking for the absolute adrenalin kick or want to experience rousing shows: The Phantasialand app is your uncomplicated interactive companion for Germany's best theme park!
- Use the interactive map for your personal experience, keep track and find the shortest route to your favorite places.
- Learn the current waiting times and find out when you can quickly get on your favorite attraction.
- Experience every highlight! The Phantasialand app reminds you of show times and the Meet & Greet times with our dragons.
- Get to know the backgrounds of attractions, shows and hotels with Phantasialand TV.
- Find out about the two unique themed hotels Matamba and Ling Bao.
- Learn all about top-class gastronomy in our park and hotel restaurants.
- Discover Fantissima - Germany's most popular dinner show!
- Stay tuned! Here you will find out everything about current offers, prices, opening hours and arrival.

https://itunes.apple.com/de/app/phantasialand/id1320768629
The app has only just appeared on the German Apple store this morning. An android version is yet to be released. And presumably they will make it available to other countries soon as well.

Yesterday in a new blog post the park shared an interview with the choreographer of the park's ice dancing show.

Video in english:

It all started with a Christmas present. Simone Alexander, choreographer of our show "Ice College 2018" in the Arena de Fiesta, was given as a child by her mother so-called "Double Runners" - simple ice skates with two runners, to cover over normal shoes. "My mother saw the American figure skater Peggy Fleming win the 1968 Olympics. She loved her look and imagined that her little girl would skate that way, "says Simone Alexander with a smile on her face. Together with her mother she went to the lake in her native Bucharest in Romania and with the Double Runners on her shoes she was on the ice for the first time. "I really liked it. It felt very natural, "remembers Simone Alexander enthusiastically.

From figure skater to choreographer.
Since these first cautious steps on the ice, she has had a successful career behind her. Simone Alexander participated as an ice skater in numerous competitions and stood on many ice shows on the stage. She toured for example with the circus Franz Althoff through Europe and with "Ice Capades" through North America. A show that celebrated over 50 years of great success. And in which many Olympic gold medalists were involved in figure skating, including Peggy Fleming, of which Simone Alexander's mother was so enthusiastic back then. The path from the active figure skater to the choreographer was finally a natural development for Simone Alexander: "I loved performing in front of an audience. But I always wanted more. I was very interested in the work behind the show. "This was followed by choreographies for Holiday on Ice, the most successful ice cream show of all time, for Walt Disney's World on Ice and for numerous theme park shows, including Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Virgina, one of the most successful theme parks in the USA. A family on and off the ice Simone Alexander's passion and interest in staging and the artists on stage are still evident after such a long and successful career. During the rehearsals for "Ice College 2018" the calm woman with the friendly look is highly concentrated on the ice. She gives precise instructions and follows the movements of the runners to the rhythm of the music. There follows a jump on the ice, a spin in the air. Simone Alexander pauses for a moment at the edge of the stage and closely follows the trajectory of the artist. The landing works perfectly and she gives enthusiastic applause. Even in the rehearsal breaks you can see the choreographer engrossed in conversation with the figure skaters. The artists pay attention to her and ask her for advice. "The nicest thing about working here in Phantasialand is that we're growing into a family. I feel responsible for the skaters, a bit like a mother, "says Simone Alexander and laughs. Especially this year her care is in high demand. Numerous new figure skaters have to be integrated into the ensemble. Each of them brings his own style. This makes the show and the rehearsals for Simone Alexander particularly appealing this year: "The new figure skaters will give" Ice College 2018 "a completely different feeling. In a choreography, it is always crucial who performs them on the ice. "Thus, the figure skaters with their own personality and a lot of emotion give the characters to be played on stage a very individual nuance. Together with Manuela Löffelhardt, Artistic Director (and wife of the park's owner) at Phantasialand, Simone Alexander brings out the best of each individual and develops the artists individually. Even with Simone Alexander's first choreography for the Phantasialand 15 years ago, the two worked together and know each other well. "Manuela Löffelhardt has a very high standard of performance," says Simone Alexander. "This is a special and beautiful challenge for all of us. We want the audience to be happy when they see the show. " Ice College 2018: Everything that makes a big show! And that's exactly what drives them. For Simone Alexander, the audience is at the forefront of every show: "Compared to figure skating competitions, the choreography for ice shows is always geared to the viewer. Especially at the ice show in Phantasialand we tell a story and develop different characters. That gives us great artistic freedom. "Along with the skating skills of figure skaters, spectators immerse themselves in a very special show at " Ice College 2018 ".

Last edited:

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
The 2018 park map on the app reveals that the entrance to River Quest has not changed.
17ADEB94-FCDE-4090-9362-119F0273972D.thumb.png.84c00a36f1c48b9f03ab301c00187f88.png

After last year when the park themed the transition between Klugheim and China, they carried out the external theming work for the new entrance from Klugheim itself (so you would no longer enter it from the China square). They shared the concept art for the eventual new entrance but no timescale was given, however it was assumed that the new entrance would come this year. However this seems not to be the case.
Artwork_RQ-1.jpg.37d5dad95430016538428585ee5ba514.jpg

To connect the new entrance with the current queueline a bridge needs to be built over the trough below.
17505278_1398330003539493_5948088833444524222_o.thumb.jpg.8681257e6b42f38d87856e6fdfcf3dd0.jpg

Whether it was simply always planned to come at a later date (maybe as part of the China Town refurbishment project?) as it isn't priority for them, or has been delayed for budgetary or some other reasons is unknown. The park's official line when asked about it for the past year is simply: "Just wait and see. #StayCurious."

davidm

Strata Poster
If they had only ever intended to move the River Quest entrance there at a much later date, then they would have just built what they have already built and just not put that "River Quest" sign on that one bit of wood and so we'd not even be talking about it!
So it seems that they intended to move the entrance there but have not because of something unplanned that has come up (budget/time/whatever).