What's new

Alton Towers | Wicker Man | GCI Wood

scw55

Hyper Poster
That's my fear. To react like that when I start riding roller coasters...

To those who may have the Pinterest extension to Chrome, it's funny how many promotional pictures exist with woodland floor as a background.

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
That is pathetic. Cheetah Hunt is one of the tamest pieces of excrement I've ever been crammed into. How on earth did she agree to build Icon after that??

Matt N

CF Legend
She obviously hated Cheetah Hunt just because it's an Intamin. ;)
Why does Amanda hate Intamin so much, out of interest? While I'm not a huge fan of many of the Intamins I've ridden, as all of their thrill coasters I've ridden have ranged from all right (Stealth) to awful (Colossus), they look to have made some great rides elsewhere in the world.

Anyway... we need to get back on topic. I genuinely thought this was the Icon thread for a second. So... Wicker Man. Solid looking family woodie, but I think we need some new info from Alton to discuss. They haven't unveiled anything in ages and it's getting annoying.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I was told the PB fell out with Intamin over problems Valhalla had before it officially opened, so LONG ago. PB hasn't worked with them since.

All questions answered, back on topic.

Scott88

Hyper Poster
I was told the PB fell out with Intamin over problems Valhalla had before it officially opened, so LONG ago. PB hasn't worked with them since.

All questions answered, back on topic.

How do you know Pleasure Beach haven't worked with Intamin since?

Intamin were one of the companies who were considered for a new coaster at Pleasure Beach before Mack were chosen to go ahead and design Icon, also Intamin were over last winter I believe.

Matt N

CF Legend
Anyway, on a more on-topic note, Sam-Wise on TowersStreet Talk apparently knows someone who has ridden this. Here's what they apparently said:
Sam-Wise on TowersStreet said:
Take from this what you will. Hopefully foremost some positivity - a friend of mine whom is in staff training for Wicker man has had the opportunity to ride the coaster - they said it runs like a dream, has much more airtime than Wodan and is towers most immersive ride to date. Couldn’t tell me much, but there was nothing but good words, incredibly positive praise sung about the forces, pace, layout and atmosphere throughout. It gave me a real boost of enthusiasm, of which I think most of us need :) Roll on opening!
More airtime than Wodan certainly sounds exciting and almost a little unbelievable, but that review really makes me excited! Looks like Towers have found an optimal way to run it, as in what sort of wheels etc.

Matt N

CF Legend
Yeah, Intamin tendered the project, soooooo.

I'm sorry, but I absolutely call bull:emoji_poop: on that. The fact that Wodan is taller, a much better speed and runs like HELL states to me that they're putting loyalty above logic.
Did they tender Wicker Man @Lofty? An Intamin pre-fab would certainly have been interesting. Or were you referring to Icon?