What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

Sandman

Giga Poster
It isn't, actually. Bare with me.

I can't even begin to count how many people, aware of this hobby, have started talking about theme parks or specific rollercoasters with me, and when I bring up my favourites (Balder/Helix) and try and explain them, it's always the same responses.

"IT'S MADE OF WOOD?!" "THAT DOESN'T SOUND SAFE" "HOW DO YOU NOT FALL OUT" "YOU WOULDN'T CATCH ME ON THAT" "NOPE, LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENED ON THAT RIDE THAT CRASHED".

Now, negating the latter (although it has had a marked effect, it's a lot of people's go-to when they question safety and call me mental for travelling to go to theme parks), it's been a common theme for a while that an awful lot of the general public have safety concerns about rollercoasters; for many that's part of the thrill of riding them. But for an awful lot of people it is enough to put them off trying it, or visiting in general. Smiler has re-inforced an awful lot of assumptions and pre-conceived beliefs about safety. Alton are going to suffer I feel as they've gone the wrong way in trying to market an already-deemed-unsafe ride type in a park whose recent safety record is an issue for the general public a terrifying experience based around fire.

Where BPB may succeed in changing people's views is by not even acknowledging the open restraints as a selling point, rather, let them come and ride it, love it and realise it's not all bad.

I get that point completely. What I find perplexing though, is that people (specifically the person mentioned in the aforementioned posts) would highlight issues with Icon when there are multiple rides in the exact same park that you'd expect to be contested wayyyyy before anyone would challenge the safety of a new & quite obviously advanced coaster. As you say in your post, the British GP still can't get their head around wood. So, surely the idea of a couple of 70/80 year old woodies would be at the forefront of their scepticism? If you get me.

Sandman

Giga Poster
Like, if I was to put myself in the shoes of a slightly misinformed member of the GP, I'd kick off about the state of Big Dipper/Nash way before I even thought about Icon. They'll get over it though - I'm sure when Big One opened there were lots of people kicking off about it only having lapbars despite it being way bigger than previous coasters with a 'steep' drop. I would also assume that due to the prevalence of the internet now, it's easier to be educated/educate yourself on this sort of stuff, so it's not that big an issue in the grand scheme of things?

Robbie

Hyper Poster
I'm sure when Big One opened there were lots of people kicking off about it only having lapbars despite it being way bigger than previous coasters with a 'steep' drop.
Not really - I think people were more concerned about the failing brake run causing riders to end up in hospital ;)

Sandman

Giga Poster
^ Well I think real controversy causes more uproar than hypothetical situations. Still, I think the thing is... there will always be presumptuous idiots. The main thing about the present though is that social media exists, which gives a lot of people an air of self-entitlement. Everyone wants to feel important and their opinions to be heard, so a lot of divs end up being the most vocal about things they don't really know anything about. Welcome to the world of selfies, fake news & Donald Trump ;)

Anyway, Icon. I'm still curious about that damn station.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
I think the perceived danger comes from people associating lap bars on coasters with the plain metal bars you find on rides like Mack mine trains and roller skaters. I reckon if the Twitter moaners were actually aware of how the Icon restraints worked then they wouldn't worry about it.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
For-web-page.jpg

Icon from the Pleasure Beach Express.
http://www.westlakes.co.uk/westlake...-achieve-ukas-iso-iec170202012-accreditation/

Smithy

Strata Poster
To an extent Sandman I agree, but there's also the twist that I think sub-consciously they've been standing for so long without high profile long lasting incidents people overlook them. And they don't go upside down either so that always helps mellow peoples views.

It's going to sound so amazing being on PBE as the ride flies around too.

Smithy

Strata Poster
That last image of the support from PBE can also double up as a great entry into the weird shape supports thread.

sandgrown

Mega Poster
Not really - I think people were more concerned about the failing brake run causing riders to end up in hospital ;)

i remember that after the accident, the ride closed to the public, and an announcement came over the tannoy to anyone working in the park, inviting us for a free ride. They weren't prepared to risk a normal life, but Pleasure Beach workers were obviously not that important to them. The park's candy floss vendors and arcade keymen were deemed appropriate guinea pigs for the reopening of the Big One. Almost everyone said yes, but felt a bit miffed at the same time.