What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

Lofty

CF Legend
You're right, Steeplechase's sign is not affected, at all. Absolutely not whatsoever*
27999753_10157043401671102_1349534178_o.png

*Apart from the fact it has a massive support smack bang in the middle of it ;)

Temleh

Mega Poster
^Yeah, I was thinking that, although I think it's strange how it's not lying flat on the ground. How are they keeping it stood up?

It’s propped up against the already installed track and tied down. Protective padding in between the two, of course.

Bert2theSpark

Mega Poster
The whole point of Mack desinging the current lapbar is becuase it has he security of the OTSR's yet still keeping upper body movement free...

If this was Towers building Icon we would have a video of Francis Jackson telling us all about it!

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Looks awesome, great pics, thanks for collecting ATI. Not giving you a like though as completely ruined the post with the final pic.
Also thanks to PBE for the videos, they are very much appreciated.

Sandman

Giga Poster
There's a place for people who don't feel safe with just a lap bar. It's called off the ****ing ride. People like that will be clogging up the queue like the plaque in a fat person's arteries JUST so they can have a moan afterwards.

"My son tried to get out of his seat mid-ride and ALMOST DIED!!! Outrageous!!"

streetmagix

Mega Poster
1 fewer person in the queue then, fantastic.

I hope no one shows them a picture of G-Force at Drayton Manor, I fear they might pop a vein...

Sandman

Giga Poster
Moaning about the safety design of an incredibly technologically advanced rollercoaster which is in a park with 4 ancient woodies & a massive water ride with just grab rails is perplexing.

sandgrown

Mega Poster
I like the way the tweeter thinks that they know about gravity but Mack don't. Or that they had a design meeting where they thought 'these lapbars might kill a kid or two, but you know what LET'S DO IT ANYWAY'.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Moaning about the safety design of an incredibly technologically advanced rollercoaster which is in a park with 4 ancient woodies & a massive water ride with just grab rails is perplexing.

It isn't, actually. Bare with me.

I can't even begin to count how many people, aware of this hobby, have started talking about theme parks or specific rollercoasters with me, and when I bring up my favourites (Balder/Helix) and try and explain them, it's always the same responses.

"IT'S MADE OF WOOD?!" "THAT DOESN'T SOUND SAFE" "HOW DO YOU NOT FALL OUT" "YOU WOULDN'T CATCH ME ON THAT" "NOPE, LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENED ON THAT RIDE THAT CRASHED".

Now, negating the latter (although it has had a marked effect, it's a lot of people's go-to when they question safety and call me mental for travelling to go to theme parks), it's been a common theme for a while that an awful lot of the general public have safety concerns about rollercoasters; for many that's part of the thrill of riding them. But for an awful lot of people it is enough to put them off trying it, or visiting in general. Smiler has re-inforced an awful lot of assumptions and pre-conceived beliefs about safety. Alton are going to suffer I feel as they've gone the wrong way in trying to market an already-deemed-unsafe ride type in a park whose recent safety record is an issue for the general public a terrifying experience based around fire.

Where BPB may succeed in changing people's views is by not even acknowledging the open restraints as a selling point, rather, let them come and ride it, love it and realise it's not all bad.