What's new

Efteling Expansion + New Coaster

Matt N

CF Legend
Hmmm. Efteling's macabre theming meets circus. This has the potential to be amazingly dark.
I'm not sure if I'm thinking of the right word, but I wouldn't personally call Efteling's themes macabre. I'd say quite a few of their themes are very upbeat and magical (e.g. Droomvlucht, Symbolica)

In my opinion, I don't think that a family coaster would be a bad fit for Efteling. Even though they built Baron, they still seem to be a family park at heart, and a coaster would be good as they just built a huge dark ride.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
I'm thinking more of the fact that much of the park was designed by Anton Pieck of Grimms Fairytale fame. One of the reasons I love Efteling is that everything has an overarching dark and sinister feel. Maybe it's not intentional but personally, I think that's how fairytales should be - there should be an element of fear or the grotesque - that appeals to children and makes the magical world Efteling creates all the more believeable. The forest, the speaking tree, Spookslot, even the mascots - none of these could be considered cuddly.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
I can see Efteling getting some sort of Verbolten/th13een/Darkmare/expedition everest style coaster multi launch and lift hill combo with freewill track and backwards sections.

start with a dark ride section aka Hurcan @bellewarde (not necessarily the same theme) - lift hill - drop - through woods - indoor section - freefall - backwards/fowards launch - indoor coaster section past projection mapping etc - all combined with onboard audio and 4d effects (air blasters/seat vibrators)

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I can see Efteling getting some sort of Verbolten/th13een/Darkmare/expedition everest style coaster multi launch and lift hill combo with freewill track and backwards sections.

start with a dark ride section aka Hurcan @bellewarde (not necessarily the same theme) - lift hill - drop - through woods - indoor section - freefall - backwards/fowards launch - indoor coaster section past projection mapping etc - all combined with onboard audio and 4d effects (air blasters/seat vibrators)

Bit vague, that.
Could you be a bit more specific please? ;)

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
So among Efteling fans the rumour mill is sticking with the 2020 attraction being a circus themed family coaster. Allegedly featuring indoor and outdoor sections and a gimmick element.

Looopings.nl has also claimed that after discussions with the manufacturer they can confirm it will be a spectacular rollercoaster but they won't disclose who the manufacturer is.
Although the rumour amongst fans is that the ride will be from Intamin.
(Interestingly all of Looopings' articles about it feature pictures of various Intamin coasters. Coincidence or hint?)

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
I'm definitely thinking of a vertical freefall drop coaster, like Th13ten and Darkmare/Inferno.

I love Th13teen, so I hope this is what it is!

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
Hmmm "circus themed"...please don't go using any bold primary colours now Efteling!

Wonder if the turntable element could be like a Wheel of Death. Special effects make it seem like knives are being thrown at the train from above or something.

Of all the rumours flying around, I must admit, this is the one that I'm least optimistic for. It's very, very hard to do a gimmicky coaster well in my opinion.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Well then so much for not disclosing it. Now Looopings claims that they can confirm the 2020 coaster will be from Intamin.

https://www.looopings.nl/weblog/957...nt-van-de-nieuwe-achtbaan-in-de-Efteling.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Personally I think Efteling really lacks a steel family coaster with a long ride time. Hopefully this will fill that gap. I could see this maybe being a family launched coaster like Juvelen but then with a drop track or this rumoured turntable element, and dark ride sections.

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
Thirteen is a fantastic family coaster, so if Efteling gets a similar ride, then they're on to a winner in my opinion! Intamin really did well with that ride. The layout is fun, it's really smooth, the drop track is a really well-engineered piece of kit, the backwards section is great and the first drop actually has a really good pop of airtime in the back few rows! It also has a great throughput (1200pph I believe?), which is ideal for Efteling as they are reportedly hoping for 5 million visitors per year by 2020.

One thing I am interested to see, though, is how Efteling pulls off this horror circus theme that is reportedly being considered. It sounds very different to Efteling's other recent themes, which are all very fairytale-like, so this would be quite a departure for them. If Baron 1898 is anything to go by, though, the theming will be stunning. I'm probably way off, but I'm picturing an enclosed drop track coaster, kind of like Inferno at Cinécitta World, in a giant spooky big top tent-style building with some nice effects and possibly even a dark ride section if we're lucky!

Whatever it turns out to be, I'm sure it will be a great fit for Efteling. As much as we all want an Intamin Blitz, Efteling looks like a family park at heart despite having installed Baron a couple of years ago, so an Intamin Family Drop Coaster would probably be a better fit for Efteling's target demographic.

Dar

Hyper Poster
It'd be cool if the first half of the ride is a fun jaunt through circus acts until you reach the grand finale and finally get to see the show from inside the big top, then the lights go out and you drop into the hidden, sinister, behind the scenes and get launched, forward or backward, through clowns, monstrosities from the freak show, evil ainmals until you suddenly arrive back in the bright lights of station, themed to the entrance to the circus.

ThomVD

Giga Poster
According to the Looopings article, the CEO said it won't be a small coaster, but it also won't be huge and super intense. If this is true, I'm expecting something Juvelen-ish in terms of intensity. A family thrill coaster maybe?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
A tiny, hopelessly optimistic part of me still clings to the hope that they define low intensity as "does not go very high, very steep, or upside down". After all, there are some mighty good coasters out there that fit those criteria, from Intamin even. All it needs is a couple of launches and good pacing.