What's new

Worst name for a Coaster?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^^ That's right, Paramount made 4 Top Gun coasters, all of which had to be renamed. What I find annoying however is why they all weren't named the definitely better option, Afterburn.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Actually interested in some examples of ones that would sound that way.

It's mostly because some words have different connotations in different languages, or the English word has no direct counterpart in that other language (instead, it would be an alternate meaning of a more mundane word). If I were to translate "Oblivion" to Norwegian and back, it would turn out as "forgetfulness".
"Stealth" would be "hidden".
"Intimidator" would be "the scary one".
Voyage = "travel" (Same for Odyssey, actually)
Steeplechase = "Obstacle course"
Mean Streak = "Average distance"
Gemini = "The twins"
Skyrush = "Heaven hurry"
Shuttle Loop = "Shuttle Bus"
Hollywood Dream and Western Regions Heaven would also have the same meaning for all practical purposes.

Then there are brand names, or words that have only one meaning in other languages. Saw is a prime example. The word has no connotation in Norwegian except for the tool. Same goes for Corkscrew, it's a thing you open bottles with. Wild Mouse is a very small creature living in the woods. And don't get me started on all the Batman rides, as the Norwegian word for bat can be translated as "flutter-mouse".

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
"Stealth" would be "hidden".
"Intimidator" would be "the scary one".
Voyage = "travel" (Same for Odyssey, actually)
Steeplechase = "Obstacle course"
Mean Streak = "Average distance"
Gemini = "The twins"
Skyrush = "Heaven hurry"
Shuttle Loop = "Shuttle Bus"
Hollywood Dream and Western Regions Heaven would also have the same meaning for all practical purposes.

Then there are brand names, or words that have only one meaning in other languages. Saw is a prime example. The word has no connotation in Norwegian except for the tool. Same goes for Corkscrew, it's a thing you open bottles with. Wild Mouse is a very small creature living in the woods. And don't get me started on all the Batman rides, as the Norwegian word for bat can be translated as "flutter-mouse".
These have made my morning!

I'd love to see a list of these 'missed translations' from all sorts of languages!

elephant58

Hyper Poster
Never really understood that name at all to be fair. Like I get the 'Rocker' bit because the cars were meant to rock, but that's about it...
Hopefully someone, somewhere possesses the answer. ;)

TilenB

Strata Poster
Never really understood that name at all to be fair. Like I get the 'Rocker' bit because the cars were meant to rock, but that's about it...
Hopefully someone, somewhere possesses the answer. ;)
It passes by a rock formation called Orphan Rock. That rock formation was quite a popular point for people to climb on, but its structural instability has rendered it unsafe and thus climbing on it has been prohibited since the 70s. In that regard the name is not the only thing the coaster and that big rock have in common. :p